Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1982 yamaha maxim 650 makeover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: 1982 yamaha maxim 650 makeover Reply with quote

Here is my bike and my current makeover. Bike was backed over last summer and I thaught the forks were bent but it turns out that the tree was loose and it just rotated the top half seperate from the bottom creating a bent fork illusion.

While i was off recovering from eye surgery, i got bored and started stripping the bike down to polish parts.

Here is a before and after shot of the aluminum portion of the fork after wetsanding and then polishing with a Mothers Polishing ball.

I have half the other aluminum parts polished up and hope to get everything back together in the next 2 weeks.

The tank emblems have lost most of the bronze chrome finish and one was cracked from when the bike was knocked over, so the tank is off getting painted. I smothed out the tank and removed all the yamaha emblems from the bike.

I am going with a metallic grey/silver with a fade into a dark metallic blue and the side panels will be solid blue. There may be some design on the tank and a bit of pinstriping, but it will be a surprise to me when I get it back if my buddy decides to do it.

In all it should look end up looking good. THen come winter I think I am going to cut it up and turn it into a hardtail bobber project. I really like what this guys did with his and hope to do something similar. That is with a 6" rear suspension drop and swapping out the factory bars for home made straight bars...

39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: dfvsd Reply with quote

Yup, VERY cool project Rory!! Cool Did the guy have to rake out his front end? or just with the drop in the rear, make it look like it is? I have a couple different Harley handle bars and fenders kicking around if ya need.
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: fgbdfgbe Reply with quote

You should just chrome the tank and use your existing fenders, then get a nice skull painted on the tank......mmmmm...skulls!!..lol seriously I think it would look gooood Wink
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
dj_squelch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike uses a 7/8" bar the Harley bars may not work for you. If you like the drag bar (almost straight) look then the cheapest I have found is at http://www.xs650direct.com/ Located right here in Canada! I love rigid bikes, I have a 1978 XS650 going through the rigid change right now.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, no rake at all. Just lowered the back end.

Dj, I have the tube diameter from my forks at home for you on the caliper just need to convert it to something i understand. lol
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those back in the day - super fast for a "little" bike. Lots of fun, handled incredibly well for such a topheavy bike.

I love the hardtail conversion - you HAVE to do it with the little springer solo seat. super cool.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustythe4x4 wrote:
I had one of those back in the day - super fast for a "little" bike. Lots of fun, handled incredibly well for such a topheavy bike.

I love the hardtail conversion - you HAVE to do it with the little springer solo seat. super cool.

yes it is pretty quick for a little bike, which it is. I dont know how fast thoiugh as it always went into a deathwobble at about 145kph. I think it was a bad front tire so i will find out with new rubber this summer.

Got one stunting ticket though- dont catwalk infront of the po-po when they are sitting infront of the legeslative building in regina...they will catch you if you let them. Embarassed
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the preliminary pics from the paintshop. Haven't seen the tank or panels in person yet though.

Here's a few teaser shots. Hope to have most of the bike back together by the end of next week once i get back from Vegas. Just waiting for new tires and my new pilot jets to show up before it can be back on the road.

Not too bad for the first tank he has ever painted or the first time he has ever tried blending 2 different colors together.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pic all back together...if the sun comes out later this week i will get a better outside shot.

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my ride last week was less then stellar...i ended up having to push the bike home Crying or Very sad It was running great then all of a sudden started sputtering and had no jam to get me going...pulled the plugs and they were all carboned up...seems it was running to rich.

So, upon online advice from xjbikes.com, i tore the carbs completely apart...cleaned every nook and cranny, soaked all the jets, replaced the idle fuel mixture o-rings and put it all back together...using my super sensive ear...i dialed in the idle mixture and seem to have gotten pretty close...its idling like it never has before, there is no hesitation off the line any more, power is smoothe and rpm's do not hang when the idle is set as per spec...super happy with the results...FINALLY I can enjoy summer on the bike.

hope the sun is out tomorrow...gonna try and get some outdoor pics.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems with the fuel that is produced now, if you leave anything to sit for a year or more, the fuel gums. Glad you found your problem.
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using premium fuel in my bike. Its MUCH happier with me now...

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: