Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G5 Bobber Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: G5 Bobber Project Reply with quote

I picked up an old 1973/4 Kawasaki G5 Enduro 100 because I had so much fun building that military bike, and wanted something else to work on.

The Bad; It looked like absolute crap!!!
The good; It runs!!...and was cheap! Wink

So here is what it looked like when i picked it up 2 weeks ago;

I got it home, took off the front fender, lunch kit carrier, and anything else that was "really ugly"

...undid the rear shocks, dropped and chopped the rear..

I cut off the remainder of the frame to make way for a rigid frame build. I used some aluminum poles temperarily to get the right legnth I wanted.

I then cut the metal frame pieces and welded them in..

I also took off the old handle bars and put on a set of drag bars that I had kicking around. My 7 year old son and I started working on a springer seat. We used a spring from one of the old shocks and cut in in half. We welded them to the frame and made a seat that hinges on the bolt that holds the gas tank on, and then seats perfectly onto the springs.

My next task was making the bike more comfortable to ride. I decided on making somefoot rest extensions, and WOW what a difference! Very Happy

So we got this far and I am pretty happy with the progress. More to come next weekend!! Have a good Monday!

Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: fgbdf Reply with quote

I started figuring out how to do my seat lastnight, and found an old leather jacket. I traced out the seat, drilled some holes, cut out a piece of foam and riveted it together.

I surprised myself at how well it turned out! Shocked I also worked more on stripping the oil tank, and painted the foot bars and mounted foot grips.

Then I stubbled across a mirror I had kicking around, so I mounted that as well.

Now I have to find a headlight, and mount the signal and brake lights, and paint the frame, and clear coat the tank and oil can. More to come Wink
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool.
Tires

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome project!!
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: fdsfvs Reply with quote

Thanks!...it's been a blast to do Very Happy .
Tires

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love your inginuity on the seat.

I would have never thought of doing something like that, and it looks great.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: fgbrt Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!! I apreciate the comments!

I did some more work this weekend, and tried my hand in painting a design on the tank. It isn't perfect, but for a Rat Bobber, I think it suits it!

Last edited by Rainman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: dtydr Reply with quote

Then I started mounting the signal lights. I had a pair of flush mounted rears that I had kicking around, and they worked perfect! I was even able to run the wiring through the frame and conciel it. Cool

Then I used a pair of old front ones for now until I can find some smaller ones. I know they look ugly, but they will have to do for now!

Then I covered in the space behind the front tire where I built the foot rest bars with aluminum sheet metal, but the jury is still out on this one!? I'm not sure I like it? Confused It does serve the purpose of stopping debris shooting up at me though!! Mad

So this is how I ended up yesterday. So I still have to round up a brake light, front light, hook up the horn, and keep my eyes open for some different front signals.

This is my next project I am going to work on; It is a wheel barrel Hot Rod! I saw one at the car show this summer, and thought "I could build that!! So here a re a couple pictures of my mock up, and the snow blower engine I will use in the front.

younggun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobs dont have chin spoilers.
lose it.
other than that lookin cool
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: gbndg Reply with quote

Ya I think you're right...It looks more cafe racer style. It's gone tonight Wink
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: dbhdfth Reply with quote

Well I started looking at a set of ape hangers I had and wanted to see what it would look like on the bobber...

Kinda a real old school, whatya think?? keep em? toss em?
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: btgbnt Reply with quote

It's up for sale too $1000 OBO or trade me something?? Wink It's a fun bike to scoot around on!!
Tires

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the ape hangers. Looks great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: