Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cruiser Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my holly is messed so I put the q-jet back on and the cruiser is running ok, at least it isnt quitting on me. While I was out driving around today I came across some markers by a small washout that read "Caution!!! Go Back". Of course I took this as a challenge and an opportunity. So nothing big but some pictures of the small wash out.

and i replaced the signs after driving across.

Like I said nothing big but deep enough that my front bumper grounded out. The cruiser hardly noticed.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some sand hills. I will be going back on monday and will hopefully get some better video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zk8vzxzcrY
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love landcruisers..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my goals when I started this project was to have it ready ish for cruise night. Right now my biggest problem for city driving is my brakes. Not my only problem, I also currently have no mirrors. (well I have both arms and one head but nothing on the truck) does anyone have a couple mirror heads?

I was also curious if anybody else is planning on taking their rig out on cruise night?
redbull

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep trick: If you take your doors off you can stick a motorcycle mirror in the door hinge. Works OK and meets the mirror requirement. You only need the driver's side.
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I will be taking my Cruiser for a Cruise on Cruise night.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbull wrote:
Jeep trick: If you take your doors off you can stick a motorcycle mirror in the door hinge. Works OK and meets the mirror requirement. You only need the driver's side.

Haha thats a good idea but my doors are kinda like my top... they may be removable but its not easy. They are on there tight. If all I need is the drivers side then I have that, just need to put it on. And Rusty that is great to hear, I will try to get time off work and get my cruiser functioning well enough that it will not be dangerous or pulled off the road by the cops. Would be nice to have a few cruisers out there.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was trying to finnish up a few things so I could get my truck to 8th. The biggest thing was getting my drivers side mirror on.

It isnt 100% level, but nothing on my truck is perfect so I suppose it matches in that sense.
I then towed my truck into town and drove it from the airport all the way to east college park to pick up a friend. Rather than the brakes being a bit scary for city driving it went well. Picked up my friend. Drove about a block and a half. Then the cruiser died... so today I will be trying to get her running again and possibly bleed the brakes a bunch more.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making a bit of a list of things that I want to do to my truck over the winter, most are little things like mud flaps and maybe some simple sliders. I am also throwing around the idea of pulling the 350 and trying to put one of our inline 6 diesels in. any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on that?? oh and that would include the 5 speed tranny and transfer case.
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitly prefer to run a toyota Diesel over a 350 any day. There is just something about it being all Toyota and a Diesel that appeals to me.
That coming from a guy who has a 4.3 in his Toyota.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well pulled the drums off the cruiser for the first time the other night. A bunch of my wheel cylinders are not working well or at all and my one rear is all coated in brake fluid...explains why my braking is poor at best and why I always have to pump up the brakes.

So I shopped around online and in town and it turns out that partsource was the cheapest place to get wheel cylinders. They are ordered and should be in soon.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found that on my front passenger side I have a broken wheel bolt. yay
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the wheel cylinders and new shoes today. A couple of the rear brake lines need replacing so I will get some supplies and make those another day but then all that will need to be done is adjust them and bleed the system. Then im hopeful that i will be able to stop.

new cylinders installed

And fully assembled

and a completed rear
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have made and installed two new rear brake lines, adjusted the shoes and bled the system.

the brakes seem to be working well now except that Im still having to pump the peddle. After doing some online research I have found that this is due to the shoes not being adjusted properly. Because this system uses eight wheel cylinders it uses a lot of brake fluid to move the shoes. Therefore if the shoes are not adjusted properly one has to double or triple pump to move enough brake fluid. Anyway I am sure you guys are mostly aware of this.
I did find a useful article: http://www.rzeppa.org/tech/brakes.htm

Along with his suggestions for adjusting I have found some posts on other forums that suggest "Maybe try: Adjust all wheel cylinders to their tightest, So all 4 wheels don't turn, get back in and push on the brake pedal (engine off). Should be rock solid. if you have to pump or it feels spongy, you need to bleed, or look for leaks. If rock solid back off three clicks"

I am going to give that a try but does anyone on here have suggestions or advice from their experiences?
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleeding all those cylinders is a PITA. You have to start at the farthest and work your way back. I would guess it's going to take doing it two-three times over a couple day period to make sure all the air is out.

I also know that you need to really snug up the shoes, go for a drive and recheck them. I think the other advise you found is pretty solid.

Good luck. I know I fought over a month getting all my drums bled out and adj.

Lots of guys go to disk front ends. you can use any 60 series and most mini trucks for donors. Fairly easy swap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: