Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triple sticks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
double-d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Triple sticks? Reply with quote

Anyone running triple sticks? Like davez or RAD? If so how are they? Smooth? Good clearance?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common complaint is that the stick linkage that does over the rear case is wider than a common twinstick.. you might not be able to get it tucked up as high if you are looking to rasie your drivetrain.. they do fit close to the floor already on non body lifted trucks..

also, there is a chance that they wont work with a combo of non-rotated and rotated cases although i didnt see any disclaimer on these ones.. usually the linkage wont allow for any twist..

unless you have a bench seat or just want all of your shifters in one spot i dont know if I see the point in them.. Confused

nothing wrong with a traditional twinstick in the rear and normal one up front.. (that sounds dirty.. Laughing )

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RAD tripples in my 4runner.
I am running a 10 deg clocked adapter from my a340h to my first t case which means both my cases are clocked. I am running a 3" body lift and i have raised my driveline up as much as i could without the driveline brake making contact with the stock floorpan. My driveline brake is what is limiting me from going higher up.

I like them and so far they are smoothe but i haven't actually test drove it yet.

It gave me the clean stock look and only required very minimal modifications to my factory console...ie. i had to cut out my ashtray.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the davez one..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/690898-my-shifter-6.html

here is the rad one...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/916481-dual-case-triple-sticks-5.html

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, you need to go ahead and buy one of these... get the rad one because they say that they will work with a rotated rear case...

and then come over and let me try it on my truck.. Laughing

i think i pointed out something in an earlier post that actually makes me want a set of these..

i will be running tripple cases in extend-a-toy now and this is gonna make my main t-case shifter sit almost between my seats.. Confused

now if i can move these shifters all up one case than really, all my shifters are gonna stay in the same spot and i will still have some sort of spot for my arm rest still..

Hey Rory! can you post any pics of your tripple stick install?? this may be something that i might want to pursue as well...

double-d

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha ya I like the clean look of it that's why I was considering it.

I see davez shift rods are on the side while the RAD is on the top. I think davez might give a little more clearance. Maybe I'll try davez and then we can compare...... Just a thought. Oh I think davez works on rotated too...
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had posted some up in my link but I will look again. After looking at davez and the rad I would say the height of the 2 are pretty much the same. The rad aluminum cap on the rear case is lower profile then the davez from what I can tell. The links sit higher than the cap but it will looks to be the same height as the davez aluminum cap.

If anyone here goes with the rad let me know because I want to piggyback on your order and get one of his electronic shift kits.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am thinking about the rad one but only after i see the davez one first.. (get on it double-d!!) i am not so concerned about tranny tunnel height being that i made mine a lot bigger than stock so fitment shouldnt be an issue..

I was looking at some of the pics a little better and it looks like you cant use a 4wd switch in the doubler using a davez kit because the shift rods hang low and want to share the same space as the switch..

not that this is a concern because you would normally plug these holes where the 4wd switch would normally go in your doubler box bu i have modded mine in Extend-a-toy to use a 4wd switch so i can then run a light to my dash to remind me what box is in low. Cool

the rad tripple stick linkages is above the 4wd switch so i will be able to use my idea..

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jp you need to show me how you modded your setup to use the 4x4 switch. I want my dash light to show up as well PLus it changes the shifting of my tyranny when it's in 4x4. Let me know when your ordering. I will split the shipping with ya.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a little blurb of mine from the Marlin crawler forum..

"after some playing around, this is what I came up with...I basically cut the other shift fork in half or so and instead of just welding the piece of keystock to the high/low fork I ended up welding part of the other shift fork on the existing shift fork...I am not sure if this is really even needed or not but i figured what the heck.. sinse I am in here anyways.. :thumbs: so now I have a light that comes on in my dash when i am in low gear in the first tcase.."

the Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go air actuated cylinders and lose all the sticks?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks too late for me to modify mine to have a light now. Meet time it's apart I will do that.

I thought about using hydraulic cylinders rather than sticks but sticks are more reliable...I hope.

I actually am going to try and use electric actuators for my eldorado brakes though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: