Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front driveshaft problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a source for these centre ball kits here in regina for under $45 per kit vs the $80 that napa and other parts stores want.

I have one of each size coming in hoping that one will work with my driveshaft. I will let you guys know how it works out.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I must recind my original comment. I did find a source for the center ball kits. They are neapco brand center ball kits. Unfortunatley, as what other individuals have come across and comment on the net, the tollerance between the center "pin" and the ball that it inserts into is far too much.

But he gave me a standard stock 1/2" center ball which was too small to fit over the center pin and i took it home to bastardize it and make it work. I split it in half with the cutting wheel, pulled out the rollers and installed them in place of my factory rollers since i was only missing rollers and my ball was still moving freely and smoothly. It turns out that even though the rollers are a hair larger than the original ones, because the bearing surface in the factoy ball is slightly larger the 2 offset each other and i have a perfect fit for the ball and socket now.

$12 is alot for new rollers but hey it back to original spec now.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
looks like napa can get them.. i got this on Ih8mud but the info is everywhere if you google it.. i had a bitch of a time trying to find the right part 15 years ago but looks like there is lots of aftermarket support now..

"Toyota used two different u-joints on the front double cardan driveshafts between '79-'95. On the slip-yoke end (and both ends of a single-piece rear shaft) the joint used is Precision #513. On the CV end the two joints used are Precision #387.
. "

Just an FYI for anyone out there relying on this information that JP pulled off of Ih8mud.... This is backwards. I relied on this same information and it looks like this is why i fucked up my double cardon joint. I was trying to install the 387 precision ujoints in the cardon which is why it split my H coupler. The 387's are .018" too big.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn internet.. can never be trusted..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
slacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

387 are the #'s for every other u joint on the shafts , and is NOT correct for the CV joint ..

If you would have just ordered the correct parts from me in the first place , when you PM'd me for the part #'s , you would have saved a pile of time and expense ...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or perhaps you could have shared the proper info before Rory made this mistake?? Rory maybe should have known better and measured the caps first to make sure they were the same before pressing stuff together but lesson learned...
this forum is a wealth of info and everyone here is more than willing to share the info needed to help keep our toyota's on the road without trying to make a sale.. i dont think scolding someone here because they didnt buy something from you is very apropriate...

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
or perhaps you could have shared the proper info before Rory made this mistake?? Rory maybe should have known better and measured the caps first to make sure they were the same before pressing stuff together but lesson learned...
this forum is a wealth of info and everyone here is more than willing to share the info needed to help keep our toyota's on the road without trying to make a sale.. i dont think scolding someone here because they didnt buy something from you is very apropriate...

Well the parts that I was going to order from Slacker would have been the centre ball and neither of the 2 centre ball kits would have worked because they were looser than what was already in there... The same issue that many other people have had. So I would have been out more money then a replacement shaft cost me today.

Your info regarding the ujoint part number and location matched what my research had found and since Slacker had posted up the same picture on that thread as well I never thought to really question it.

I even confirmed the ujoint numbers with the napa parts guy. In any case I have since bought a new digital calliper so this won't happen again.

And I sourced a good replacement cv shaft for $25 with no play in any of the joints and a tighter spline then what I had so I'm good.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good that you found a good replacement.. these front shafts are a dime a dozen and there are tons out there so its good it didnt set you back to far..

slacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:

I did , as best I could , as to the questions he asked me in a PM
I did provide part #'s to him threw a PM he sent me !! ... all I was saying , is if he had ordered the parts he need threw us , he wouldn't have had this issue . and that's ok as well that he didn't , it's a free country to buy and spend your money where ever you want .. I'm just sayin'

this dosnt make me feel very warm and fuzzy here

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough and i do apologize.. i dont want to make anyone feel excluded around here as everyone does have their place and all of us have submitted great ideas at one time or another..
i had no idea to the extent of what help was given.. i want to think that things are a little more in the open around here is all and i feel bad when something goes wrong for anyone when they are trying to get a project done... this is an expensive hobby (and for some a business) and i think we all just want to get the very most out of what we do for the best prices possible..

and i get a little to "passionate" sometimes.. Rolling Eyes Wink

ok, Rory dammit, get this driveshaft done so we can continue..

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never requested u joints and was never provided numbers other than costs for the u-joints from slacker. Hence the mistake was my fault for trusting the internet and not fully knowing hot to read the old manual calliper I had. I don't blame slacker for giving me the wrong numbers because he didn't give me any numbers for the ujoints. I trusted the bad information from the ih8mud link.

As for progress, I spun the ends off the driveshaft today and hope to find time to re-tube it later their week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: