Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Twisty the ultimate twist-a-nator and a welding table
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like some tube steps for my f250 if you want to start building and selling stuff.
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
that was too much.. oh well.. it didnt seem so bad when i was buying parts over the span of about 3 years.. Confused

i gotta make some money with this thing.. i wonder what people charge to use their bender??

Like any other process, what's your time worth and how soon do you want to recover the costs of your sweet setup? Very Happy I have a bender that I haven't used yet...but it'll be by an hourly rate for shop work. Or you could just figure, how much time it takes to set up (minimal) and do one bend, then have a per-bend cost if someone needed a one or two piece done. I do this for someone wanting a part to be processed with a dimple die, $X a hole.
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because i already had some build pics of the welding table in this bender thread of mine I may as well cloud it up some more with some table pics..
in between working on the truck and cleaning up the garage today i had some time to finally put some recently purchased expanded metal in the welding table to finish the top shelf..
I also finally mounted my vise on a solid base the fits both into my welding table receiver and the receiver that i built into my tubing bender.. its only been 10 years of just clamping the vice to the closest available bench using other clamps to keep it from moving around.. Rolling Eyes this will be a good change..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy up the rest of those caster wheels from Princess Auto? Laughing
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.. half of princess auto stock in casters is now in my garage.. its one of the only "other" thing princess auto makes that is of ok quality...

maxiht

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea! You can use the vise on a hitch:).I was always thinking where to install mine on the truck(for field work). I am going to make one too...
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
yes.. half of princess auto stock in casters is now in my garage.. its one of the only "other" thing princess auto makes that is of ok quality...

Damn I was going to exchange one of mine because I noticed it has brass nipples instead of zinc plated like the other three...but if you have the rest... :lol

Super cheap for $20/ea! I'd never pay regular price for em that's for sure!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent posted in this thread in a while... just a little update.. i got all the little things finsihed on the bender that i wanted to do.. this included making a few removable trays on the bottom and i finished the racking in the middle where i now put all of my die followers.. sorry, i didnt take a good pic..

what i was really updating was that i had time today to actually run some 1x1 square aluminum through the bender.. i modified my follower so it doesnt have a sharp edge on the leading edge where the tube comes in so it doesnt gall up.. I also polished up the follower and this makes for a nice almost scratch free surface on the aluminum..

i am using a 3.5 radius 180 degree die.. i thought this might be a little too tight of a radius for the aluminum that i bought but it seems to make really nice bends and there is no cracking or wierd stress marks in the aluminum.. i think i might look into buying a 4.5 radius die too just for a bit of variety..

I am using a 6061 t6 aluminum which a lot of people said isnt really good for bending with.. i then came across another good thread that said that if things are mandrel bent than it shouldn't be a problem... well, it looks like it isnt a problem so far.. i havent tried a 180 degree bend yet so i dont know how that will work but the 90 degree bend looks very nice..

i am curious from other people on the forum that work with a lot of aluminum.. is this good practice or should i be trying to find a 5052 aluminum?? that is supposed to work really well but some people have reported it to gall in the die where the 6061 is harder and is a bit more resistant to that..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out it can do a nice 180 degree bend as well...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: