Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

we pulled the trigger on a new tigger..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. i give up... i dont know what i am doing wrong.. i can make all sorts of pretty beads.. nice stack of dimes look, I can make fat beads, not so fat beads, a nice profile, a bigger profile and today i even surprised myself and found out that i can make really nice welds on the verticle.. the other thing i seem to have no problem with is holding the torch in either hand..

but i cant stick two pieces of fucking aluminum together.... Rolling Eyes i am not too bad with mild steel but this aluminum thing is killing me.. all my work is gonna get the spool gun if i cant get the tig to work out..

i was able to do this a few months ago.. in fact i have many coupons of proof showing that i could do a lap joint, butt joint, etc.. not super well but much better than now.. it seems that i can get either side to melt well but i cant get them to melt at the same time so i can start a weld bead between the two pieces..

here is the info of what i am doing..

3/32 harware in the tig torch
3/32 filler 4043
1/8 4043 material
2% lanthenated tungsten
machine set to 150 amps..
everything cleaned and no oils on anything
machine set towards the cleaning side more than penatration.. 60/40 ish..

when i ground my tungsten it was on a clean wheel and then before i started welding i have done both methods where i turned it to dc and struck an arc for a couple seconds to put a ball on the end and also i have left it where it was sharp on the end and eventually a ball forms anyways.. both ways seem to not make much of a difference on just practicing laying beads or trying to weld a joint together..

if i were to make any observations on what i think is going on i would say that perhaps my arc doesnt seem to be as focussed as perhaps whats in the videos posted below.. it seems to maybe jump around a little till i give it a lot more foot pedal and then it seems like i have too big of a puddle and it either keyholes pretty quickly or as i said above i cant seem to get both sides warm at the same time..

i need some pointers here.. short of trying to find some kind of night class to figure out how to use this thing properly i am a little annoyed with myself for not being able to pick this up a bit quicker..

along with many other good vids on utube, here are a couple that i have followed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99JUF23PTRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJt3fFJ6Hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_335963&feature=iv&src_vid=ZWJt3fFJ6Hk&v=qOWQ663L7UU

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ben for helping me out... I really appreciate that..
my issues were all technique related which is all related to having no experience in doing this.. a lot of what i am doing (or not doing right) is torch placement and where i am feeding the tungsten.. i know now what i have to do...
I have moments of goodness and then it goes to shit.. i am hoping to make more moments of goodness and less moments of shit in the near future when it comes to this tig welding stuff..
i guess the other problem is that i just dont use the tig enough to stay in practice.. must practice!!!

that being said, in my moment of being annoyed with my tig, i grabbed the aluminum spool gun and spent some time with it.. i was able to get it dialed in pretty well.. at least better than when i used it before..

oh aluminum... i will indeed make you my bitch at some point..

Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning I'd try to start a puddle on aluminum the same as I did on mild steel, slowly ramp up and then begin welding. WRONG. I found you have to put a lot of heat in quick to get the puddle to form, add filler and then keep moving! No dilly dally or sitting around with aluminum (stainless steel is similar too).

You've got lots of good teachers around you, and if you want to burn hours on youtube watch tons of videos on Jody's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

As always practice practice practice!

We have to wait for Clay to chime in as he's the aluminum god. Very Happy
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
CW Fab

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't get over here much these days. Embarassed
Have you been getting the aluminum figured out Jay?

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW Fab wrote:
I guess I don't get over here much these days. Embarassed
Have you been getting the aluminum figured out Jay?

yeah... i havent been doing to bad.. most of my problems were just technique issues and lack of experience.. i got lots of tig time with aluminum towards the end of my build right before we left on my trip... its a nice feeling when i can just pick up the torch and start tigging something rather than practice for an hour before i felt comfy with the tig and then go and lay some shitty beads anyways... i am pretty much past all that.. this all being said, i would love to practice more with mild steel.. i have been focusing all my time towards aluminum and have almost no time dealing with anything else..

i am just getting back into the garage this week finally... i needed a couple months off so i can enjoy being back in there again.. i was getting a little burnt out with the long hours in the garage trying to get a cruiser together for our trip to california.. I havent welded/tigged a thing sinse i got back.. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: