Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the I have 30 days to work on the truck rebuild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is the truck that the dana 60 came from..

here is the diff itself.. this thing is a big mofo to move around... i am going to have to start eating my wheaties more if i plan on working with these diffs...

here are the Ruffstuff diff covers that just came in today.. they are 3/8 thick and are built really nice..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
ZukiKev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think you went a little overboard with the tie downs on that D60 in the trailer?

Wink looks good
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be GREAT GREAT GREAT!!

Get it all figured out so I can copy it. Razz

What are you doing for a T-case?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are not any good options to go from a 3b and h55f and i do have another toybox here so i think I am going to do the front half of the crawl box a toybox and the rear half go to a minitruck case for now.. i also have a spare 30 spline heavy duty front and rear output set from Marlin so i shouldnt have any issues for a bit..

I am also checking into an adaper that isnt made any more that would go from the cruiser tranny to a np203/205 combo which would give me a centered output as well.. it is now obsolete but would give an ok reduction... there are still a few out there though if you look for them.. not sure if i even should care about looking being that i already have everything for the marlin toybox/minitruck adapter... just checking into all my options...

i got a few more things this week and ordered some stuff too.. part of my order from roughstuff was my brake caliper brackets for the 14 bolt.. they were cheap and will work good..

along with that i also ordered up my 35 spline outer stubs for my dana 60... they are actually shafts from a dana 70 diff but are a great and cheap upgrade for the dana 60... the dana 60 uses 35 spline inners and then 30 spline outers.. its either these 30 spline outers or the original ujoints that will fail first... i also got the dana spicer upgraded ujoints too.. they are only 56 bucks each and they are supposed to be a lot stronger due to the smaller drilled grease holes in the cross of the ujoint over the older spicer ujoints... the seals are also way better on these new ones... the next step would be to go to a ctm ujoint or something else but this guy isnt going to spend 300 buck + per ujoint..

here are some pics...

here are the 14 bolt caliper brackets from roughstuff...

and here is the comparison between the older dana ujoint and the newer one... 5-332x is obsolete but is the one pictured on top... the bottom one is the new SPL55-4x

here is the new stub shaft... i will be getting these in a few weeks... they were under a 100 dollars each... cheap upgrade and will easily handle 44 inch tires and lots of horsepower.... dana spicer part number 3-82-871 i bought these at truckline here in Saskatoon along with the ujoints..

and here is the difference between the stock dana 60 30 spline shaft and the upgraded 35 spline dana 70 outer stub shaft that fits in the dana 60 knuckles..

rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a 203 setup for a doubler?
I have one I will sell

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer Rusty but i should have it covered...

so the news this week is that i can go one of two ways with my t-cases for this truck...

I knew about this drivetrain that was sitting now for a while and i can get it all for a really good price.... it is an H41 tranny/203/205 case setup..
The H41 is basically a Toyota 4 speed with a granny low first gear.. that first gear being 4.9:1... the 203 and 205 are t-cases that can be found from various chevy trucks.. each of these cases only offer a 2:1 and a 1.9:1 gear ratio... it has all the latest 32 spline stuff in the doubler so everything is way strong and compleely overbuilt... the problem is that it is super heavy and a bit long and it would only give me a maximum of a 18:1 low gear ratio... now, i plan on going with either a 5.13 or a 5.38 gear ratio in the diffs so that would put me to about a 100:1 final crawl ratio... is it enough for a truck with 42 inch tires??? i dont know...

the other drivetrain that i can go with is with the Marlin crawler toybox... I was smart enough back in the day to buy enough parts to make two of these crawl boxes so when i need another than i have one being that the crawl box doubler market is lacking at the moment for the older drivetrains.. this is the same doubler setup that i have in project Rankenstein and so far its been very good... i have tons of gear choices and it uses fairly common toyota stock and aftermarket parts.. the h55f 5 speed gives a 4.8 first gear but than i have a 2.28 and a 4.7 in the crawl box and t-case... this gets me a 51:1 crawl ratio.. now combine that with say a 5.38 diff gear ratio and you have 276:1 final gear ratio.. this is complete over kill but might not be too bad with a set of 42 inch tires...

i really really like using just the crawl box in the cruiser in first or second gear.. first gear, and using the 4.7 crawl box puts me at 110 final crawl ratio... this is pretty much perfect in a truck with 37 inch tires.. its slow enough with lots of control...

what i am concerned about is running the Marlin toybox crawler with such big tires... there are lots of pics and forum threads of guys blowing up their 4.7 gears while running 40 inch and bigger tires.. it wont happen right away but it looks like it will eventually happen.. when going with the first setup everything is massive and the 203/205 doubler will handle 44 inch tires and bigger with horsepower and will take it like a champ..

so do i ultimately want t-case gear selection with moderate reliability with lots of gearing choices or something that is completely bulletproof but with limited gearing??

i cant afford buying an atlas and the other issue is that it has to bolt up to the stock drivetrain behind either a Toyota h42 4 speed that is in there or a 5 speed which i also have... i want to keep this a diesel crawler...

the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100:1 is plenty slow for 42" tires and the little diesel. Remember that you cut your RPMs in half compared to a higher revving gasser.

And you did the 'Con with no crawler box. At what, 40:1?? You'll feel better bumping and grinding this truck a little as well. (and at 100:1 you won't have to)

Go for the big boy and be done with it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CW Fab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I read this too late, I have a Ruff Stuff 14 bolt diff cover I could have sold you. I also have a Ruff stuff pinion guard if you are looking for one.

This build looks like it'll be a BEAST!!! Twisted Evil

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW Fab wrote:
Too bad I read this too late, I have a Ruff Stuff 14 bolt diff cover I could have sold you. I also have a Ruff stuff pinion guard if you are looking for one.

This build looks like it'll be a BEAST!!! Twisted Evil

ah, crap.. oh well.. yeah, i would have totally bought it.. they are quite a nice cover... i am getting the tmr customs truss and guard combo for this diff so i will have to pass on that diff guard too...

I cant wait to actually start building this truck.... looks like it parts collection for a while yet...

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any issues with my 5.38's. If you can go with them. Less stres on the rest of the driveline.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i am scrapping this project.. Sad with me getting older and the to do list never really getting any shorter along with some minor health issues i am needing to downsize a bit..
i would love to have that buggy that i can go bashing through stuff and not worry about body damage and really be able to tackle some of the bigger trails out there but fawk it.. i already have 2 trucks that take all my money..

so the plan is at this point is to get the truck ready for sale and clean up some other things along the way.. the truck has already been sprung over and has great road manors. it also handles the trails pretty good but the welded diff has been removed because i blew it up so i am back to open diffs again.. i also have some other spare cruiser parts that need to get done so i figured that i should just spend some time with this truck and get it back to the point where its at least solid again so its actually worth some money..
The wife and i want to get back into having some sort of toy again.. when we had the sled we loved it and used it lots but then come summer it was always a pain to deal with being that we didnt have a dedicated trailer for it and its annoying to move around when there is no snow.. so this time we are going to try a side by side.. we are looking at a newer 2015 Polaris rzr side by side.. for the couple of times of using one i had a blast and there are a bunch of geocaches that require some sort of quad/side by side to get to.. close to 2000 of them actually so i know that we will keep this thing busy.. plus we love to explore the trails up north.. We will make a lot better use of this over a truck that has been sitting in the yard for the last 10 years with no immediate plans to get it running again..

So for the month of November and maybe part of December if time allows i will be working on rebuilding the tub and floors in this truck.. if anyone remembers from back in the day this truck had more monofoam in it than an old 1950's house with original windows.. (i have one of those as well.. Laughing ) i had to put bailing wire across the back of the tub area tied to the roll bar posts so that the body didnt completely spread apart... yes, its that bad.. the drivers floor has been cut out as well and parts of the passenger side are bad too... for this round of repairs i will work on rebuilding the entire back of the tub.. it wont be factory spec but it will be J.P. spec with some slightly heavier metal and overbuilt so it should last the next 25 years.. i already received my steel order that I made last week and will begin to get some stuff bent this week..
after 30-40 days the truck will again be kicked outside for the winter so that my wife can have the spare parking spot and that i can concentrate on building project Extend-a-toy..

pics to follow..

oh also, the dana 60 and 14 bolts have now been sold.. i still have the diff covers from rough stuff and the 35 spline outers along with the new ujoints for sale now...

benji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not and easy decision I'm sure...but probably a good one. Hopefully someone on the forum or close to home buys this Cruiser. Im looking forward to seeing the repairs. The rear tub doesn't look too complicated to rebuild, we have all seen far worse rust then that.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been tearing into this thing to see the true extent to all the damage and it is bad.. there is frame rot on the back 6 inches, the tub is really rusty everywhere and overall the back part of the truck is fucked.. this thing is gonna need a complete overhaul..

I took all my measurements to the steel shop a few weeks ago and they have been super busy so i finally just got all the metal from the first order just a few days ago...

here are some pics of the tear down..

i have been tearing into this thing to see the true extent to all the damage and it is bad.. there is frame rot on the back 6 inches, the tub is really rusty everywhere and overall the back part of the truck is fucked.. this thing is gonna need a complete overhaul..

I took all my measurements to the steel shop a few weeks ago and they have been super busy so i finally just got all the metal from the first order just a few days ago...

here are some pics of the tear down..

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you can see there is a lot of rust to deal with on the back end of the truck.. luckily everything gets replaced in big chunks so that rust will be gone pretty quickly..

and here is the start of the buildup..

here i am using the old channel as a template so i can properly cut out the tail light holes and all of the other bumper channel mounting holes..

the top piece of steel is the new rear sill that will be the new back part of the tub... it wont be rotting out any time soon...

and the new tub section..

varty yo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates? lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: