Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project SAMMI!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Non Toyota Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work and life got busy but here is the update. made a FREE roof rack and FREE front tube bumper. This was all scrap steel got from a scrap steel bin at work and made a roof rack and front tube bumper from it, keep in mind this is a budget build so it could have been made nicer but not for free. Front bumper is some left over schedule 40 tubing and the roof rack is the steel left from the crating that one of our quads came in. I have stood on the roof rack in the center and it holds me easily even without the center roof brace installed and I weigh a conservative 255 lbs. The pics will be posted right away but photobucket is down for maintenance so I will try to upload them later.
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, you should have tried to put the roof rack a little closer to the roof.
just my 2 cents

marshall
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the roof is curved so the center of the rack is only 2 inches abouve hte roof as in the picture. Wanted to make it flush but there is quite a crown on the roof and curving the rack would have looked bad and effected its usability.
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are the updated pics with the new kahki paint and linex lower and interior floor. Front grille mod as well, adds 30 horse I hear........

BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Drew, but I think a big nasty bird took a big ass crap on your roof. jj Laughing

Did you actually get it Linex'd or is that hippo liner or some other do it yourself type liner?

And when do we get to see some action shots and not just drive way pictures?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wanted to hippo it but they have been pulled off the shelf for some reason. I used a spray can style of bed liner we sell at work and pebbled it on from over a foot away so it gets a grainier texture. The rear of the Sammi was degreased and then over a liter of Tremclad was poured on to the floor and brushed around. I drove it with no doors or rear door for 2 days so I could stand the fumes.Action shots this weekend from my friends farm, going to visit on Saturday night till monday.
BuCK

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome paint job, i love it. It almost gives me enough inspiration to get rid of the rust on my sami......but i might need a whole new truck for that lol
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the rust was ground down and almost all of it was surface except for one spot. that spot was ground down, an acid was applied that i use for battery cable ends to neutralize it, than I applied short strand fiberglass and let it setup. Then I sanded the glass with 80 grit and then a light 150 grit , then primed heavily with tremclad primer, one heavy coat of tremclad flat black paint, and 2 heavy coats of bedliner from about 16+ inches away to get a nice fine thick coating.
ostacruiser

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Cool , I dig your plate!! Wink
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS!!!!!!!
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: hippo liner Reply with quote

I had heard that hippo liner was not very good, but there was a replacement coming soon. I know a few guys that have used it, and only one case where it peeled off in big chunks. I hope something comes to replace it soon. I need to do the floor in my truck.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new one on the shelf now but I am unsure the brand. Cheap too as the entire kit comes in at $120.00
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now that the ribs have healed up a bit, I installed the 6 inch 100 watt fog lights on to the edge of the roof rack for sturdiness and side to side adjusability. Also changed the kick panel speakers so that we can play some huntin tunes at 5 am. to help wake us up. rear fog lights go on tomorrow and then new pics.
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the front 100 watt fog lights are mounted and wired, the rear 35 watt backups are done as well. The free roof cap was trial fitted and a couple extra holes were made for ease of installing and removing it in quick fashion. Also it was slow so I fabbed a snorkel as well since I had a bent piece of aluminized tubing in the bin. Need to find a nice top for it though. Also made a removeable inside rack for carrying stuff, if needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Non Toyota Builds All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: