Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

project Rankenstein! like a boss.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking great JP!!! Keep up the good work!
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!!!

here is the start of some battery trays.. i will try this arrangement because pretty much nothing else fits..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
TROY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunt fit them under the box of the truck???

The next time you go to a farmer's door asking permission to cross his land, all that he is going to remember is that idiot in the JEEP

BTC95 wrote:

And this has been another Useless post brought to you by Troy.
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me again, are you using both these batteries as starting batteries or is one a aux only battery? Could you put one in the back and one up front?

Looks tight for sure. What about in the cab under the seats, on there sides? kinda where the fuel tank was?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under the box of the truck is a bad area.. my onboard air tank takes most available space up and then my exhaust takes the remaining space.. if i moved the tank over i might have space to put one battery but its a lot of work for very little gain..

both of these batteries are used for starting.. i also have the winch teed off of them as well.. i definitelly dont want to have them in the cab although i would have room... i made the point of getting rid of the fuel tank under the passenger seat so we can have a little more cab storage being that its super tight in there already and i dont want anything back in there again..

i also thought of placing them in the box ahead of the wheel wells... this is a very good out of the way place but i dont want to kill any extra space in the box.. every bit of extra space is important in this truck. we are already literally sitting on our luggage when we go for long trips.. short of taking a trailer of which i dont want to we have to make due with the space i have so nothing goes in the cab or the box..

if the shocks didnt mount to the inside of the shock hoop then i would be able to get them in the engine bay end for end but there isnt enough room between the engine and shock hoops.. the problem is that i cant mount the top of the shocks outward anymore or else they will look like this... \ / instead of this / \ but they are really closer to this | | right now...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a crappy first half of the day in the garage i finally had an ok end to the night kinda.. got no where near where i wanted to and should have just mabey done something else today.. here are a couple quick pics..

i cut out a fill in piece for the fuel filler that i cut out.. i have to get this tig welded.. i cant do vertical position tig welding without making it look like throwup so i need someone to help me with this one..

overall i am kind of happy with it.. i dont know what else to do so it will have to do.. i guess i should be happy that i ended up getting both batteries on this side of the truck like i had wanted.. yay.. Rolling Eyes

and a little side boob shot..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i figured out what to do as far as the rad mounts will go.. its getting pretty tight in the engine bay but i did give myself almost an inch more of space between the rad and the engine compared to before i moved the engine back 3 inches.. i even have more than enough space for that intercooler up front on both sides of it..

i am still trying to figure out what the best way is to mount that intercooler.. i will post a few pics of it down low.. on the drivers side i have to come straight up and then go towards the intake of the engine and on the passenger side i can sneak under the new rad mount, follow along the frame and then shoot up towards the turbo.. its jsut an option to give everyone a chance to see what i should do.. comments?? suggestions?? i dont know which way is the best to mount this intercooler..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big update.

the egine bay is finally almost done.. i got all of the turbo and intercooler system mostly done yesterday.. today and i going to get my psc power steering done and then i can tear everything apart, finish welding anything that wasnt quite finished and then do some painting..

first I started by making this.. go to pirate offroad or just google "bending tube 101" .. its a great and simple way to get started bending tube.. you have to make one of these though for every tube die that you have..

and then because i didnt buy any of these flanges for a 1.5 inch tube i had to make them.. this stuff seems to take so much time to make.. the wedges are just 1x1 square tubing cut on the diaganal..

and here is just mocking up the tube to make sure i bent it right.. so far so good..

after putting my flanges on in the truck i took the tie bar back out to do some finish welding on it..

here is the other end all finished getting welded..

and here is the bottom of the intercooler.. i just took some washers and welded them to some rod and then welded a power steering cooler bracket to that as well.. the bottom bracket doesnt need to be structual or even very strong.. its just got to keep the intercooler from flopping around..

here is the start of all the intercooler and piping.. i am quite happy with how it turned out.. there will be more than enough room at some point to make a custom intake filter housing..

and another shot from the same side..

and here is the start of the psc power steering pump.. I actually rough cut all the brackets last year so it will help to get this part of the work done more quick..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiring wiring wiring again.. tonight is rewire the truck night and make everything the proper length to where the new battery location is..

also working on routing the new power steering hoses..

this is the stuff that seems to take a long time.. it takes me a long time anyways..
i think i made the makers of 3m electrical tape rich from my last wiring of the truck.. Laughing you never think you used a lot of electrical tape till you have to take it off again..

i am hoping to have the engine bay pretty much wrapped up by the end of the weekend.. then next is to work on the front diff!! arb, here we come.. i am going to use my onboard air to run my air lockers for now.. i just have to get a regulator so i can have the lockers run on its own lower regulated air circuit..

slacker

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking great there JP

earnie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is going on with this bad boy?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

working on the back end.. i am trying to make the rear driveshaft angle not suck complete balls without dropping the drivetrain more than what stock is... i will post pics soon.. thats pretty much the last thing and then i get to install my ARB's and and do the final welding on most of the truck.. still have to do roll cage and all that but the truck itself doesnt have far to go..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i started gettin after it again.. finally... actually i have been pissing around with the truck for the last few weeks but have been doing nothing worth taking pics for... we are going to the Marlin roundup later this summer and if time permts i will be also attending the Black hills cruiser classic...

i managed to get the truck to sit about 1.5 inches lower overall.. this was done by chopping down and making from scratch new spring perches and removing springs.. i will eventually have to put springs back in again because I think that these are gonna be too soft for any rear hauling or to be super stable on the road... i will wait to bad these out and then i will put the full leaf packs back in...

i also got the tranny and t-case in the place that i needed it.. all that has to be done is weld the mounts and then the drivetrain can come back out to get the new clutch put into it and the final welding on the floor done..

this week and next is tube bending week.. i am gonna try to get all of my outside body tubing protection done along and then get to the roll cage... from there i can finish the floor and get to the final welding for a lot of whats on the truck..

as usual, here are some pics...

i whipped these up with the plasma cutter...

and here is the difference comparing the dodge perches and the ones that i made.. mine are 1/2" lower, 8" long and the dodge ones are taller and only 6" long...

the ole' hydraulic bender in action bending 2 inch hrew...

and here is the start of the body protection...

i got lucky with this first one.. i managed to bend it bang on.. hopfully the rest will work as well.. tubing is expensive...

4xRunner

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Reminds me of when I built Sasha's Heep fenders. I went through the exact same thing!! Lots and lots of work but the end result shows!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big update.. i have been slacking on my forum updates...

so its been basically tubing tubing and more tubing over the last couple of weeks.. i went from pretty much never using my tube bender to using it almost every day.. its been a really great tool to own.. i am starting to feel a bit more confident doing multi plane bends also..

i am just gonna post lots of pics..

these are the start of rear fender protection..

the notcher has been a great tool..

the start of the rear roll bar hoop..

thanks BenP for the tig welding time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: