Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

project Rankenstein! like a boss.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some awesome work!
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work JP. Best version of "exo" I have seen. It isn't ugly, hiding all the body features.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. big update...

I have been working on the floor and tranny tunnel for a while now.. there was quite a bit of modifying to do to make everything fit nicely around the new drivetrain... I had to also make a new under floor brace too being that the last one had to be cut out ...

and here is a pic of re-skinning the floor...

Next was the tranny tunnel.. this was a big pain in the butt to make.. i am quite happy with the results so far though.. along the way i have also learned how to tig weld somewhat... thanks to BenP for all the help and suggestions on that.. here are pics of the start of the tranny tunnel..

and a big thanks to Brad for letting me borrow his home made metal brake.. this thing bends a full 19 inches of whatever size aluminum sheet i want and does a nice job. this is on the list of things to make once i have some time again.. i really made use of this to build the tunnnel..

and here is where i am today... almost done!!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work JP. Well laid out tunnel.

the Dude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet Twisted Evil

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big thanks to Benp for helping me finish weld my transmission tunnel today... it turned out quite excellent...

I also got my drivetrain back out as well... I have the tranny mounts to finsih welding in and a couple mounts for the fuel lines and then i can throw everything back together.. i would sure like to be working on axles by the weekend or at least by mid next week..

the goal at this point is to be rolling second week in july... (yikes!)

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking damn good buddy!
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
benji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem JP Cool Anything to get your ass to Black Hills...
slacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work fellas .. that is SWEET
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks good sir... Wink

this is the busy week for the truck.. i finally found everything that i need to get the truck back together... i have parts evrywhere for this thing!! Laughing

i started tonight working on the underside of the truck.. I should have all the mounts that i need welded in by tomorrow and the box is coming off tomorrow night as well.. the goal here is to have all the electrical, fuel and brakes plumbed by friday with all the welding done by them too... maybe i will even have a little paint on the frame by then too...

when i was taking stuff apart tonight to get stuff out of the way for welding i noticed that my new brake lines that i made a few years ago were already in not very good shape.. i had bought some pretty good brake line in bulk (aluminized coated brake line) but it doesnt really seem to be holding up.. in fact, in some places it looks like its 20 years old.. i am going to call around tomorrow and see what else is out there.. what i will probably do this time is paint it with the rest of the frame.. i left it in the raw last time and maybe it needs something on it...

i made a list of what needs to be done yet.. its horrible but i will get it done.. i work well when there is a deadline. Laughing i still have 30 days till blackhills.. Rolling Eyes

-Welding to do..
-finish welding 4 tubes still in roll cage
-finish welding two fenders worth of tube protection.

-Body and chasis
-little bit of welding on the floor and the underside of floor. *DONE*
-install boots in tranny tunnel
-weld hole up where old fuel filler was *DONE*
-finish modding seat brackets to fit around new tranny tunnel

-Frame
-finish welding drivetrain mounts *DONE*
-finish mounts for fuel lines, electrical and brakes *DONE*

-Suspenion
-remount track bar.. have to make new brackets for axle end.. everything else is good.
-make bottom shock mounts and install rear shocks

-Axles
-install new arb lockers and plumb 3 air lines with Mac valves
-rebuild rear diff.. (parts on order)
-rebuild front diff (all parts are in stock)
-clearance front knuckles and install longs on new inners
-weld all brackets and tabs to front diff before removing to paint.
-make and install new brake lines to and on both axles

-Engine/tranny/tcases
-finish resealing the Marlin toybox and tranny. *DONE*
-install new rear engine seal *DONE*
-install freshly resurfaced flywheel *DONE*
-install new clutch assembly *DONE*
-assemble intercooler system
-assemble power steering pump bracket and make new lines to box
-install rad and make new lower rad hose assembly
-turn boost down from 16+ psi to about 12.

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 am; edited 3 times in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i tried to get brake line today.... i was steered away by two different places today saying that i shouldnt buy that papco brand name stuff for brake lines although its whats listed as brake line in all parts books..

the problem with it is that it isnt corrosion resistant and it also has a seam on the inside where as i should be buying the brake line that doesnt have this seam.. hmm..

the reason why i am replacing the brake lines on my truck are in fact because of the first reason i stated.. in only having the truck on the road for less than two years after my last total rebuild i came across brake lines that looked like they were 20 years old and had some major corrosion on them already.. like pitting on the brake line corrosion..

i ended up with basically two options in Saskatoon.. Napa had some of the brake line that i was originally thinking of.. it has a green coating on it and is actually brake line.. it is not a bulf package of "steel tube" that can be used as brake line.. it is seamless, double walled and comes in any size... the problem is that it wouoldnt be here till wednesday if i ordered tomorrow...

my other option is some really nice stuff from greggs called "super line" or "super flex brake line" or something like that... its like 3 bucks a foot and they sell it in bulk as well... its supposed to be completely corrosion proof, really easy to bend and form and has about 10 other advantages over every ones elses brake line.. but its 3 bucks a foot...

not sure what to do here... everyone else in town carries the generic "steel tube" that can be used as brake lines made by papco that i had no luck with..

rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the effort and attention to detail you have put into the rest of this truck, I would suggest going with the expensive stuff from Gregg's.

Its really worth the $50 you are going to spend on brake line...

redbull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. Go Big.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwent almost as big... Laughing

turns out that stuff is a pain in the butt to bend and is usually only used on show cars.. my truck is far from that.. it is indeed nice stuff but i decided to go with the stuff from napa.. the wierd thing with the greggs stuff is that it doesnt carry the same burst pressure as the coated stuff from napa and is only single walled where as the stuff from napa is double walled plus has the coating on it as well... when i cut it apart it looks exactly like the newer toyota stuff that is also green coated and the napa stuff is said to be 30 times more resistant to any kind of corrosion then the regular stuff that i was just using... good enough...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick update!!!!!!! i am slowly knocking stuff off the list... i am hoping to get a good chunk of it taken care of this weekend.. i have a 3 day weekend again so its build time!!

here are a few quick pics of the last few days.. i replaced the rear crank seal because the old one was seeping and i figured with the new clutch going in it was a good idea...

i will start with a completed tranny tunnel.. all i have to do is install the boots and i will do that when i have the tranny and t-case back in..

here is the latest on the engine bay.. i am hoping this will look a bit more completed this week..

just a front view of the engine and the new psc power steering pump...

bead blasted rear crank seal housing..

and installed...

going with the oem clutch on this.. nothing is better..

and the new plate for the truck!!
just a bit of info on the name on the plate.. the word "TEQ" is stamped, or casted in every part and piece on our toyota trucks.. in Kanji it means toyota... there isnt enough room on the plate to have "toyota 4wd so i went with TEQ 4WD... a bit automotiove geekyness but i like it..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: