Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALL YOUR X10DATOY ARE BELONG TO US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is whats going on with the body... and thanks benp for all your help with this so far.. i am super motivated to get this truck on the road soon..

again, the plan was to cut out all the 1x1 bracing that i put underneath the cab to give it a bit cleaner of a look... the floor really doesnt need it anyways and will be rigid enough on its own with what little bracing i have left under there.. also, we cut out the foot wells and most of the rear floor.. i am getting a piece bent up with ribs in it for structure and the floor will be smooth back there...
Plans changed a bit when i was able to come across a rear split bench seat from a 2001-2004 taco double cab.. i have always wanted to see if i could get one to fit and although its a little tight for anyone over 5'9" back there for the feet it is totally doable... thanks to Double-D for that seat... also part of the motivation of getting rid of the drop boxes was partially for weight and also just to clean up the underside of the body but mostly it was for making room for a rear 4 link.. at this point there was no room for links and brackets to hang off of the frame due to the drop box foot wells being in the way.. not a problem now....
here are some pics of the madness...

and some of the cut out 1x1...

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new rear floor section has been all figured out and i made it down to the steel shop on Thursday to give them all my measurements.. the floor will basically have two ribs built into it and i decided to go a little heavier witht he checkerplate.. most of my floor is built with a 12 gauge checkerplate and i i went with a 10 gauge for the back... it will really help stiffen up the back half of the cab and those couple of good sized ribs i am getting put into that plate will help even more.. i cant wait..

I also got some channel bent up for new link brackets.. the ones from Roughstuff just arent quite big enough for the big rod ends that i am using and i dont want the body of the rod end to hang below the bracket itself so i will make my own... they are made of a slightly harder steel as well..

and being that i am now using the 4 door taco rear seat i am building a cross brace that will do across the floor that will act as another floor brace along with a place to bolt the front seat brackets down to...

I pick up all the steel either next Monday or Tuesday...

hmmmm, what else... i get my second order from EMF next month maybe although i am expecting it to be probably closer to February.. thats all the stuff to do a rear 4 link for the truck... if i decide to not do that then the rod ends will be for the buggy...

I still have some grinding to do under the truck to clean up the bottom of the floor but i am getting closer.. i have been to busy all week with Christmas stuff to be in the garage... i should get a lot of stuff this weekend though..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been a great Christmas !! I hope everyone elses was good as well...

I ordered the rest of my steering tie rod ends and got a hydra assist system from EMF as well.. i am not going to see it or pretty much anything else for a few months while they are building my order but i cant wait to get everything!! i just wish that every time i shop with EMF I didnt have to end up spending the whole damn paycheque there.. Confused yikes.. easily the best stuff out there but you sure pay for it.. i also got a few suspension parts and such to get started on a rear 4 link for the upcoming buggy build next year too sinse i was spending money...

i also got confirmation that the spindle ends that i cut off that 80 series diff and sent to Diamond axle has got there safely and they are going to start on my rear diff right away... they said by February.. we will see how that works out...

and finally talked to the company that i am buying my beadlocks through... i need two weeks lead time with them so they can get them built and sent at the same time to where i will be picking everything up in the states...

I will be back at the truck full time for two weeks starting at the end of the week here and see how much progress i can make.. then i told the wife i would finish tearing into the Ford truck that i bought and make a decision on that if its worth fixing or not..

i am really glad I took those 3 months off after our trip to the Rubicon so i can refocus on my hilux... i cant wait to get at it again!!!!

double-d

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get my a$$ in gear now lol

Coming along good!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot more done... i have started to spend a good chunk more of time in the garage now.. i got the floor almost all cleaned up and ready for the new rear floor section to be welded in.. i am redoing the rear body mounts too because i wasn't happy with how i did them the first time.. not that there was any issue with the originals but i saw a bit of room for improvement and sinse i have the rear floor all cut out they are easy to do at this point...

here are the pics..

the rear floor all cut out and almost ready for the new floor section to be installed..

the new floor section.. complete with 1 inch high and 3 inch wide ribs for extra strength..

and finally another cross piece that will give even more rigidity to the floor.. this will also serve as the piece that the front mounting points on the rear seat will bolt into..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this weekend was finish the body mounts and get the floor in weekend.. i didnt get completely done but i got a good chunk of stuff done..

we will start off with the new body mounts... the old ones probably would have been ok but i thought there could be a little room for improvement.. so I made some new ones..
i was using the brake that i got from Brad quite a bit over the last year and it was starting to see some real wear and tear... i finally killed it by bending a whole bunch of 1/4 inch plate... I ended up cutting it mostly apart and rebuilt the bottom part of it.. this isn't the completed pic being that the welding isn't completely done but you get the idea... it now bends 1/4 inch plate like nothing...

and here are the new body mounts...

and just a little bit of work and they are done

and here is more or less where i wanted to be this evening... the new floor section is tacked into place.. what an awkward piece to deal with..

the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking Sa-weet

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
slacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jason
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...

woo hoo!! i got a call today and Diamond axle is starting on my rear diff... i am hoping for the first or second weekend in february for when i go down to the states to pick it up along with some beadlocks and a few other odds and ends...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some more welding done this weekend but it was cut short due to running out of welding gas.. i ended up getting most of the floor all welded in and a lot of the underside that needed to be welded up done as well.. I just have a little left on the sides and some in the front of the new floor pan and then its done..

here is the rear 01-04 doublecab rear seat.. i still have to weld in the floor support that the front of the seat will bolt onto but its mocked into place for the time being..

and sinse i need to clean some stuff off the garage floor i threw the front seats back in for now as well.. its fun to see how everything is coming together..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo!! my rear diff is done!! i got chromo axle shafts to go along with this full floating bad boy too..

now i have to figure out how i am going to get it... i got Brian to figure out shipping costs from his place in the states... its gonna be 104 dollars to plentywood montanna and its gonna be 218 to my house directly...

now i assume that i am going to have to pay some stupid brokerage fees and of course duty fees...

anyone wager how much its gonna cost to get it here or is it worth it to just drive the 5 hours each way to go get it? last time i had my huge order with arb's, diff housing, and a ton of other parts from 4 different venders the costs were going to be over 800 dollars in shipping, brokerage, duty to my place.. we stayed in a hotel while in montanna and it was under half of that for me to go get everything...

oh yeah, i get my huge order from emf steering as well too in a few weeks...

varty yo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you value your time at. Me i value it pretty high so alot of time its worth it to pay extra for direct shipping. If you have free time and wanna make a little get away then its worth it also!!!

Whats the value on it? I just had some parts shipped from the states and chatted with the guy sending them to list them at a lower value and write warranty return on th box soall i got charged with was taxes. Might not always work but did on this occasion.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few buddies talking about going to Plentywood to pick up some parts in the next while. I can find out when and if they are still going and if thy might have room for this bad boy.

How much does it weigh?
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about 200 pounds... i havent decided for sure but i probably will just get it shipped.. it might be 200 bucks more to get it here but i gotta pay for gas to go get it if i do and if someone gets it for me i will offer some gas money so either way it might be easier if i just get it sent..

the plan was to get my trail ready bealocks and a few other big dollar items but now with the dollar being shit i cant get nothing other than this diff.. last time i saved myself a shit ton of money by getting everything myself but now with just the diff housing.. meh..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo!! the new rear diamond axle gets shipped tomorrow!!! i should be seeing it next week maybe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: