Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEROY GROWS UP ---> THE WON-TON YEARS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: LEROY GROWS UP ---> THE WON-TON YEARS Reply with quote

Well guys,

Its time for the next phase for Leroy.

For those newbies that are unfamiliar with Leroys history, please check out the first thread which covers off the SAS.

http://www.toontoysforums.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1215&start=0

and also please checkout the buildup in the projects section

http://www.toontoys.ca/Projects/Rory/roryproject.htm

You can also follow the buildup on the thread over at the Flaming Monkeys Website

http://www.tyro.ca/fm4w/viewtopic.php?t=692

I have been slowly gathering parts over the last 6 months and most of the major parts have arrived.

Over the next couple of months the toy axles that currently reside under Leroy are going to be swapped out for a dana 60 / 14 bolt combo.

There are several factors that have driven me to swap out the toy axles for the much heavier and much beefier 1 ton axles.

1. The demise of Rusty Runner due to the roll over which took place at Chitek Lake last spring. I am looking for more stability so that this does not happen to me.
2. The bent front toyota axle housing which happen during my trip to North Dakota. Should be hard to do this to these big mofo's
3. I am tired of babying the truck ( to some extent) with the fear of breaking axles. Without sinking huge dollars into longfields i would have to continue to take it easy. and without longfields i could not successfully run a locker up front and then I would have to deal with the weak'ish 5.29's and have them sent out to get heat treated, etc. At which point all this extra coin could have been put into building up a set of 1 ton axles.
4. My turning radius is the shitts because of the 38.5 tires and the short toyota axles.

Here are the specifications for the new axles

Dana 60 69.5" WMS to WMS

Donor truck - 1978 Chevy 1 ton Pickup
Gears - 5.38 Richmond
Master install kit - Precision Gears with Timkin Bearings
Locker - Detroit
Stock 1.5"-1.3" 35 spline inners
Stock 30 spline outers
Converting from stock driveflanges to Manual Locking hubs
Hi-steer - Cross over steering for now. Un decided upon which manufacturers arms to run.
Home Brew Hydro Assisted steering. Princess Auto 8" ram, stock toyota powersteering system. Tapped and drilled out to increase flow and pressure.

GM 14 Bolt FF 67.5" WMS to WMS
Donor Truck - 1978 Chevy 1 ton Pickup
Gears - 5.38 Yukon
Master Install Kit - Precision Gear with Timkin Bearings
Locker - Undecided at this point in time. Mini Spool or Lunchbox Locker such as lockrite or aussie(when aussie decides to make these)
Stock 1.5" 30 spline axles
Disc Brake Conversion with mechanical parking brake (if the calipers i have work)

Ford F150/F250 rear leafs from a 2wd truck will be installed both front and rear.

New usa 6x6 re-centered hummers rims will make their way onto the axles wrapped in a set of 39.5x15x16.5 Super Swamper TSl's (Unless a better deal comes up)

As for the powertrain....the Toyota stuff seems to be holding up, so for the time being they will remain...however if something should change, there is a 4.3 TBI with a Rebuilt 700r4 and np 231 t case sitting in storage.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline

Last edited by littlerunner on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
FXR UPR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not run 5.89 gears and get some bigger tires instead of those tiny 39s? At least run some 42s so you have some ground clearence under those big hunks of axle your running. Personally I would run diamond axles and longfields but thats just me, I like ground clearence and toyota stuff. Not trying to trash your choices btw. Good luck with the build. Now ther will be 2 runners on 1 tons and 39s around!!
earnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know the offered gears in a 14 bolt past 5.38
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FXR UPR wrote:
Why not run 5.89 gears and get some bigger tires instead of those tiny 39s? At least run some 42s so you have some ground clearence under those big hunks of axle your running. Personally I would run diamond axles and longfields but thats just me, I like ground clearence and toyota stuff. Not trying to trash your choices btw. Good luck with the build. Now ther will be 2 runners on 1 tons and 39s around!!

Because i can build them up for less then the diamond axle housings alone would cost me and i can still upgrade to larger tires when i want.

As for 39's right now, i wanted to keep it somewhat streetable. 42's would have been pushing it and would require a bunch of body clearancing issues.
BuCK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it gunna be ready by may long??? Very Happy
teamflf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: axles Reply with quote

don't you already have geared toy 3rd's and if you had x-over diamonds are 900 and 850 us for housings. if your going to buy gears lockers crossover and everything else to build those 1 ton axles i think you'll spend way more money on them then using some of your stuff you have now and smartly building some yota axles that will hold up to 39's my 2 bits even if you don't use a diamond in the rear you'll be money ahead.
benji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: axles Reply with quote

teamflf wrote:
don't you already have geared toy 3rd's and if you had x-over diamonds are 900 and 850 us for housings. if your going to buy gears lockers crossover and everything else to build those 1 ton axles i think you'll spend way more money on them then using some of your stuff you have now and smartly building some yota axles that will hold up to 39's my 2 bits even if you don't use a diamond in the rear you'll be money ahead.

haha i don't think hes gonna change his mind, he allready bought 1 tons and im sure they know what their doing.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: axles Reply with quote

teamflf wrote:

I am currently running 4.56 geared toyota axles. With the 38.5 gumbos that measured closer to 36" it would power out in sand and thick or deep mud. I was at the point where i needed to upgrade to 5.29's, longfields and a front locker.

I got a smoking good deal on the 1 ton axles. Once the dust clears, i will have a little over 2000 into the 1 ton axles. And i will have an set of complete toy axles that will be perfect for a smaller project.

And its too late already to change my plans. I have everything here except the spool and histeer arms and manual locking hubs.
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git her done man!!! Nice plan I like it. Going to be a bit tall so I take it there is going to be very little daily driving after this??? Laughing
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewz wrote:
Git her done man!!! Nice plan I like it. Going to be a bit tall so I take it there is going to be very little daily driving after this??? Laughing

It shouldnt be a whole lot taller then it is right now. Maybe a few inches.

Rear bumper will have a lower insert that plugs into the reciever hitch to keep the bumper height legal. I will prob incorporate something similar up front.

Its gonna have monster mud flaps to cover the tires and will have to fab up some sort of removeable flares to cover the wheels.

For daily driving time, it will see the odd trip to work or out for a cruise in the evenings and trips home to the farm...I dont want to do a pile of on road driving to save the tires not to mention the cost of fuel
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting build. I have always wondered why go to 1ton axles and the associated costs of doing so. Please keep a detailed account of money spent as I am VERY interested in the cost vs upgradeing toyota axles.

For reference and all the 1 ton haters I will give you a break down in what I have in my toyota axles. For reference:

Daily driver (well kinda, but we don't have to)
Michelin 325/85R16 measure just over 38" and are the heaviest tire around
around 150hp and 300ft-lbs
geared around 70:1 with 5.29s in the difs
fairly agressive driver( this is debatable)
6500lbs rig
60" WMS to WMS
Asin hubs

never broken with current set up.

As for the money spent:

Custom Longfields: $1000
ARP hub and knuckle stud kits:$300
5.29 gears with rebuild: $1400
hi steer: $700
brakes: $800
Sky widening kit:$250
rear wheel spacers:$100
Front axle cut and turn with truss and purches:$300
complete rebuild front and rear:$400

That's a grand total of $5650 CAD without lockers or housings and everything NEW.

Now, I spent more then the average because of my lockers. They meant expensive Toyota only parts for the difs and a custom axle from Longfield, so take off about $1000 for most. That's still $4500 for a complete set of bomb proof axles that should hold up to a 40"-42" tire. Not cheap, but not bad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FXR UPR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its all toyota BABY!!
Drewz
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those mini truck axles you did up brad???
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Land Cruiser stuff. The axle shafts and birfields are the same as the mini truck stuff, as are the ARP stud kits and the Aisin hubs.

The biggest difference is the much larger R&P on the Cruisers and the better width. I think 60 series cruiser axles are wider then the widest 4 runner or mini truck housing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finally broke down and bought myself a digital camera.

Heres a pic of the new Richmond Dana 60 gears, Yukon 14 Bolt Gears, Precision Master install kits for both and a Full Detroit Locker for the Dana 60

Last edited by littlerunner on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: