Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEROY GROWS UP ---> THE WON-TON YEARS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

Are you doing any upgrades to the auto? I am a little surprised your keeping it in there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
Looking good!

Are you doing any upgrades to the auto? I am a little surprised your keeping it in there.

Not planning on any upgrades at the moment to the auto. I love that toyota auto. It has relatively low gearing and even with the big tires i ran before and the gearing i had it never once slipped or missed a shift. Infact it shifts harder than my superduty and it has been like that since I bought it.

I was going to do a chevy driveline swap but decided it was more work than I wanted to do. I like the 3.0 and really have had no complaints with it. The auto has performed flawlessly so I figured why not stay all toyota.

First gear is 2.8:1
Low in Tcase 1 is 2.28:1
Low in Tcase 2 is 2.28:1
Axle ratio of 5.38:1
and the torque converter reduction being 2:1

I will end up with a final crawl ratio of 156.6 : 1 so I should have more than enough torque, never have to worry about blowing a shift and i get the shock load reduction from being an auto.

The only upgrade I may make to the auto is a manual momentary shift kit which will allow me to control the solenoids at will.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got my dual cases built up after a not so smoothe experience from Marlin Crawler. Their products seem to be built solid however there is a larger margin of work that needs to be adressed in the way the business is run. If everyones order is a mixed up as mine was I have no idea how they make any money.

I made the order and it was to ship that day. I got a call the next morning asking if I had recieved my parts and telling me that they sent out a flawed casting and that a new one was in the mail and to send back the flawed casting in the provided packaging. 5 days later the 2nd package showed up in noonan but the first was nowhere to be found. So I called them and they looked into it and it turns out that they package never was picked up...so they rushed me the parts so that i could pick up my marlin order 3 days later along with my Inchworm adapter. I then had to call them back and tell them not to bother sending the flawed casting out since I already got the good one.

Once I got everything home I went through and Inventoried everything and discovered that they forgot to ship my 23 splie input...so they rushed me out the part along with at Shirt and more stickers for all my trouble.

In January I started taking things apart and as I was puting it back together discovered that the bearings they sent me out didnt fit. So they had to send me another set of the proper bearings.

Then a month ago I was puting the final few pieces on and discovered that when finger tight I had 3/16" of play in my hub/low gear/thrust washer assembly and it took all month for them to figure out it was because it has to be torqued down to get the proper tolerences. They actully were willing to ship my case and parts to them so that they could put everything together and find out the problem before one of them mocked it up at their shop.

I should note that if they had a set of instructions as to how to install the 30 spline output shafts my life would have been easier and they would have known the problem from the get go. I guess I am the only guy that mocks up things and checks tolerances with the housing off so that I can see it all fits together properly.

So last night I finished up the rear case and prepared to bolt the reduction box to the rear case. Prior to bolting the 2 together I tried the shifter and everything moved nicely. I bolted the 2 together and had no 4wd. So I seperated them again and voila it was good again. Well, it turns out that there isnt enough clearance for my 4wd shifter in the Marlin MC07 dual adapter. It was jamming on the casting so I had to grind the shit out of the shiftrail. Needless to say a 15 minute job turned into 2 hours with all the pissing around and such.

But it is finally all together and working well.

I also splurged and bought this little setup from Rory at RA Designs LLC

Forward Mounted Tripple shifter setup. Only have to make one hole in the console/tunnel to make this setup work which means I can keep my factgory console and hopefully my rear heater/AC.

Super clean product and awesome build quality. He was great to deal with.

http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit brother!! its about time you got that thing together!! Laughing i have been following your questions on the marlin thread...

good to see it together...

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got another shipment of parts last fall. Haven't gotten around to install most of it yet as I took a month off in December/January and backpacked Thailand.

But here is the new pile of parts yet to install.

3.0L V6 Rock Assault Non-ABS 1450PSI kit

14" Bilstein Shocks for the front and 10" in the rear

2 Trailgear Heavy Duty T-case mounts

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a productive weekend. Aside from 2 days of skiing and training at the hill, I managed to get the new Power Steerings system installed.

I also Drilled out and re-tapped several broken bolts up front on the body and was able to bolt the fenders and the grill back on so that I can start mocking up a bumper.

Didn't take pictures of the PS system installed or the front end back together but I do have a few other pics that I have been holding onto for a while.

Used D60 and 14 Bolt Flange adapters to replace the ones that were stolen

New shock hoops
Fish plating both sides for added strength
Formed bump Stops.

New Front hanger/Cross member.
Tig welded.
Dimple Die with sleeves

Custom Main Cross member/Skid Plate made from a 3/8" plate and bent into shape. It bolts directly to the factory cross member mounting points and uses 2 trailgear bombproof tcase mounts.

Custom Fuel cell built to fit in the spare tire space and uses all stock fuel delivery components. Even the original fuel door and location was kept so no fill reloction is necessary. Holds about 21 gallons if my memory is correct.

Last edited by littlerunner on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that front cross member looks great

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nodge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that fuel tank. The surf could use some more fuel capacity.
Looking good!
benji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet fab work Rory.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benp wrote:
Sweet fab work Rory.

Thanks...unfortunately I cannot take the credit for the sweet fab work Sad

I can however take some credit for the new to me Lincoln Powermig 215 welder that was used to burn all this sweet fab work onto the frame (one day I will learn how to use it).
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nodge"]I like that fuel tank. The surf could use some more fuel capacity.
Looking good![/quote

Not to sure that it will fit into a stock 4runner with some major work. All factory cross members were removed and we took advantage of the 3" body lift.
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you given any thought to removing the body lift?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
Have you given any thought to removing the body lift?

Body lift cannot be removed nore do I want to. That bodylift makes life so much easier to work on things. It gives me access to the top side of the transmission and allowed me to tuck the transmission and tcases a few inches higher without having to cut up the cab. It also means that i dont have another 3" of shock tower sticking into the enginebay to acomodate the 14" shocks and without it the new PS reservoir would be sticking through the hood.

The cross members were built tight to the body and the new fuel cell is going to be tight to the body as well. If the body lift was gone I would loose another 3" of departure angle.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a busy few weeks unfortunately not all spent on the 4runner.

I spent a few days tearing into a sled that a buddy bought to get it ready to ride...only to have it blow up 5 km's out of town. It has since been torn down to discover that the crank bearing on the clutch side siezed up. End of season for him.

I then tore into my sled the following week and did a partial rebuild on my clutches installing a new Dynamo Joe Clutch Kit. Found out that the internals are slightly pooched on my clutch so now I have to source some new guts to get the new clutch kit performing the way it should.

Then I went a little overboard and bought a few new tools for the garage.
Turns out Princess Auto and Peavy Mart had a sale and I am a sucker for a sale. So a few hours later I had these new gems to install in the garage. Most of which were loooong overdue.

6" Vise
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8085748/Bench-Vise/6-in.-Fixed-Base-Mechanic's-Vise

6" Bench Grinder

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8340879/6-In-Bench-Grinders/6-in.-Bench-Grinder

12 Ton Shop Press

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8150930/Presses/12-Ton-Shop-Press

60 Gallon Air Compressor

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/magna-force-60-gal-vertical-air-compressor/0000000069119

Very happy with the aircompressor. It is a MagnaForce compressor that was on sale at Peavymart for $489 and is identical to the Sanborn one that Princess Auto had on sale for $499. It is also identical to the Dewalt one at Home Depot that they sell for $750 and the Porter one at Canadian tire that is listed for $800 on the website.

It is definately not going to compare to the high end compressors that sell for closer to $1500+ but I think it will suit my need quite well and do pretty much everything I want to it do.

In any case it sure beats my old 5 gallon compressor.

My only problem is now I have to go buy new airtools to justify having such a big compressor. Laughing

Last edited by littlerunner on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modified the console to work with the new remote triple shifter setup that I am running on the dual cases.

Does anyone know the correct way to take apart the factory gear drive tcase shifter the correct way?

It appears to be a 2 part shifter with a top half and a bottom half and may be a press fit using a bushing inside the top half. I separated the top half from the bottom half but did so by destroying the bushing. Just want to know if there is a proper procedure for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: