Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEROY GROWS UP ---> THE WON-TON YEARS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed 1 of my overhead hoisting beams in the garage on the weekend. We were kinda leary to try hanging from the beam so since my other buddy left his skidoo in my garage we figured go big or go home.
Turns out my welding skills (and my roof trusses) are good enough to support a skidoo.

I present the first ever Chris Angel show in Canada!!!

Sorry, we are still working on the special effects to hide the cables. Laughing

Also pulled the tcases out so that I can finnish up the internal modifications to the transmission.

Also realized that the shifter shaft on the transmission was damaged during teardown and so i had to strip down my spare transmission and pull the shaft of of it to swap into the current transmission.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifter Shaft has been swapped out.
Internal modifications which involved plugging a few oil passages and such are complete and the transmission to reduction housing is sealed back up and bolted back together.
Curently looking at a few simple modifications that can be made to the valve body to increase how quick the shifts are and to firm them up to prevent added wear and tear to the clutch plates.
Going to make up a "But Plug" that resembles a role of toilet paper to fill the void from the gutted reduction housing that will hopefully prevent the transmission from "stalling" during steep hill climbs.

Transmission should be all buttoned up by the end of next week if i can find the right material for the butt plug.

Last edited by littlerunner on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruising along! good to see.

anybody want a 18 month old for a week or two? She sure slows down progress in the garage!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build has taken way too long, so drastic measures have been taken. Finnishing the 4runner is my priority and to show you how serious I am bout getting done....I quit shaving until it is moving under its own power. Maiden voyage to take place Mid June or Earlier.

The game face

and my most recent progress.

I have decided to install a driveline ebrake, but rather than going with an off the shelf product I decided to build my own setup.

I started with the standard tcase template available online that most guys will use to mount their dual cases and modified it to mount up a spot caliper available for a whopping $50 from Princess Auto. I had the template lazercut and bent up some scrap steel to mount the caliper too.

I still have to figure out the final linkage between the cable and the spot caliper but cannot finalize that until everything is mounted up under the truck.

Here is the spot caliper bolted into place and assembled on the back of the cases. I had the rotor and the template lasercut out of 1/4" plate steel.

I also have been tinkering around with cardboard and started mocking up a front bumper. I am looking for some input.
Please let me know what you think of the following prototype.
The sloped portion of the centre section will be cut for the winch to fit as well as to provide access to the controls.

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I found the limits of what the gf likes when it comes to beards. I looks a little like this...

It worked great for keeping the motivation going, unfortunatly June 14th came around and as per my deal with the little lady, it came off so I could go to the family reunion. Since then progress on the truck has kinda dropped off.

I did have fun while taking off the beard though. I think next time I will keep this look for a while

Alas, you don't want to see more of my ugly face so a quick update.

-Both sliders are mocked up and welded. and both of them are primed and when I get another free cool day then I will paint them and weld them into place.

-Driveline Brake is all mocked up. I have fabricated a pivot arm and mounted it off the caliper bracket that I bolted to the back side of the tcase. It is similar to the factory arm and attaches to the caliper using an adjustible turnbuckle. I mocked up a bracket to be welded onto the skidplate to hold the cable and it worked perfectly. Bracked is primed and waiting for paint.

- Had to fabricate a flat plate transmission pan where the old gutted tcase was due to a conflit between the tcase bolts and the factory pan bolts.

-Only thing left to attach to the transmission is the shift selector switch which I broke and I still need to source but know where several of them are.

-I chose to go with histeer and while bolting all the parts up discovered that my oilpan is interfering with the histeer tre between the 2 arms. As such I am meow trying to find a 2wd oilpan, pickup and baffle from a 2wd 3.0 between 1990 and 1995. It has better clearance and is supposed to work. Can't for the life of me find one of these in Canada. I have found one from a regular 2wd and it looks like it might just work. It was out in BC.

- I bailed on the electric cooling fan. Decided that upgrading the batteries and alternator were not worth it at this time. The fan would draw about 30+ amps and the factory alternator is only rated at 60. Plus, for how rarely i do water crossings and with never having a problem in the past when the fan was submerged, I decided the money would be better spent elsewhere.

- I cut my front and rear driveshafts in half and discovered that the inside diameter of the factory rear shaft is about 1/16" smaller than the outside diameter of the front solid axle shaft from pre 1986. I think with some heat, ice and a hydraulic press and minor grinding I will be able to press 1 pipe inside the other and not have to pay a shop to retube and balance the shafts. If not I will just be sourcing some Schedule 40 pipe and call it a day.

-interior console is pretty much done. Just need to remove the now un-used 4wd factory shifter from the hydraulic tcase and then determine if there are some safety switches that will need to be relocated so that I don't get any dash lights.

- Fuelcell brackets are bent up and hopefully I will have them soon so I can install that and move onto running new fuel and brake lines.

So still alot of work to do but I am getting closer.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks like I missed out reporting 1 step.

A few weeks ago I finalized the fabrication and the fitting up of the "Butt Plug"
It is an aluminum "Toilet Paper Tube" that fills the void where the planetary gears were originally installed in the factory hydraulic transfercase of the A340H auto Transmission.

The theory behind it is that it take up space that would otherwise be fluid. During steep climbs the oil runs to the back of the housing and can starve the oil intake. This fills the void and reduces the amount of movement of the fluid allowing the intake to always be submerged. Most guys will just overfill their transmission, but transmissions are not meant to be overfilled so I thought i would fix it the right way.

and and update.

Also did some sandblasting on the weekend. Note to others. Sandblasting sucks, especially with the gravity flow cheap blasters from Princess auto. I managed to get my brake caliper brackets, Driveline brake mounting bracked and 1 slider blasted and primed. Also used an HVLP sprayer for the first time. It was nice to know that Tremclad primer sprays through with no thinning required. Looking forward to final painting.

I have decided to go away from Hammered Steel "Silver" and have decided to paint my bumpers and componets Tremclad grey instead. Hopefully will be close to Gunmetal Grey but I am not too fussy. Its a 4x4 not a McLaren...speaking of which, I saw one of these a few weeks go driving down the highway near Regina.

I am happy to announce that the Driveline Ebrake setup is now 100% fabricated and fully functioning. My understanding is that it is possibly 1 of the first driveline setups behind an A340 Transmission/Dual Tcase Setup which actually retains the factory rear heater and did not require any "massaging" of the floor.

I have now moved onto finnishing the plumbing of the brakes. I am in Edmonton this weekend and hope to be able to source a Proportioning valve and misc fittings to mount and plumb everything up.
the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great update and great beard!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a little bit done since my last post. I tried my hands at the paint gun again and painted up the parts that I had primered up a few weeks ago but it looks like I forgot to take pics. I will post some up after the 2nd coat goes on. A few more parts showed up and my master fabricator mocked up the fuel cell and today we will have the install complete and ready for painting this friday.

Fuel cell top mount with new cross member to support the tank and the skid plate at the top

New fuel cell skid plate. Ought to do a good job of protecting the new fuelcell.

Side View. Made of 3/16" sheet metal.

Toyota fuel pump ready for wiring. Note the bracket that holds the pump was cut down about 3" to account for a shallower than stock tank.

Tonight if everything goes as planned I should have a photo of the tank in place with the skid plate.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all this stuff looks awesome!!!! great job!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my iphone died after taking on some water in the boat last week so I lost several progress photos. I did however have a fairly productive month though.

All the components have had several coats of tremclad paint sprayed on them and tonight I managed to get the fuel cell and skid plate all mounted up.

New fuel lines have been run front to back.
New brake lines have been run front to back
The rear axles was removed, new caliper brackets installed and the eldorado calipers installed in place.
I just have a couple brakets left to weld on to the housing to hold the rear axle brake lines in place and some cable mounts for the mechanical ebrake cables.
Shocks have been installed

I also ordered up new DIY diffy covers from Blue torch Fab for the front and rear so in a few weeks i will have a few welding projects to tackle.

The oil pickup on the motor has been swapped over, the baffle modified and the new to me 2wd oil pan installed for better clearance. The motor and driveline is ready for fluids.

My list of things to do before a maiden voyage are as follows.
drive shafts
build a mount for the hydro assist ram up front
install a prop valve under the hood on the brake system
Diffy cover front and rear
drill out and tap 1 diff cover bolt in each diffy that was broke out by the previous owner
gear selector switch on the tranny
Some other minor interior and under hood mods to ensure that the engine light doesnt show up

So hopefully by the end of september it will be moving on its own power after 5 years!!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that has got to feel good!! congrats so far on some great updates!!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll I've been pretty busy all summer but I got some work done on the 4 runner.
Here some pics of the progress. The "too do" list is getting smaller.

Rear axle installed. Brake lines run. BTF Do it yourself Kryptonite Diff Cover. Fuel tank Skid in place.

Side view of the rear axle. Note the fuel cell is installed with skid. New fuel line and filter ran. Also note the factory filler and lines were all rerouted to maintain the stock filler location and factory look.

Sliders installed and painted up.

BTF DIY Front Diffy with a hydro assist mounting point that I made up welded on.

not the prettiest weld but this is the adjustable hydraulic ram mount for the hydro assist.

Driveline ebrake all installed.

Front axle assembly primed. Note the bare area is where the housing was cracked at a leaf spring bolt hole. It has been prepared for welding and buildup to re-drill and tap a new hole.

Final pic is of the front springs. Note the shackles are limiting travel but there is still a pile of droop

TROY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did your covers cost

The next time you go to a farmer's door asking permission to cross his land, all that he is going to remember is that idiot in the JEEP

BTC95 wrote:

And this has been another Useless post brought to you by Troy.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall the DIY kits were $60 each and it was flat rate shipping of something like $50 to my door via USPS. You could go with the pre-welded ones but they are $120 per cover. I bought them while I was in New York the end of August and was going to have them shipped to my hotel but decided the hassle of hauling them on the plane wasn't worth it. Now BFF forgot to ship the bolts and I have been getting the run around for the past month from them. They don't answer phones anymore and half their numbers don't work. If you don't need weldable steel covers I would go with cast SOLID off-road covers from poly performance for the same price. Probably just as strong. I needed weldable to mount my hydro assist.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my master fabricator welded up the cracked housing I took to the daunting task of drilling and tapping the newly built up area. I spent well over 2 hrs and overheated 3 drills trying to drill the hole to 1.5" deep and 1/2".

The smaller pilot holes drilled fairly easily but as I got closer to 3/8" it became nearly impossible. I broke several bits and dulled my 7/16" and 1/2" and only managed to get to about 1/2" deep.

So dad was in town this weekend and brought his bit sharpener and a 1/2" drill but every attempt to hand drill it failed as well. The bit would catch and rip the drill out of my hand.

So we drilled it farmer style.

We spent 2 hours setting up the axle housing onto stands, strapped, secured and anchored and lined up the drill press and had the hole drilled to the proper size within about 5 minutes of the first try with my previous $6 princess auto bit that I sharpened up before hand with the drill doctor. I also found some Rapid Tap drilling oil which I also give huge credit to the final succes and now the axle housing is bolted back under the truck and ready for final assembly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: