Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the I have 30 days to work on the truck rebuild
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: the I have 30 days to work on the truck rebuild Reply with quote

a.k.a. project startrek rock crawler

yeah yeah, I know..."finish extend-a-toy and Rankenstein first"....

I hopefully will be getting my bender quite soon and will be anxious to start bending tube... I will start with small things first like rock sliders and such but eventually when I start to develop mad bending skillz I want to tackle things like full roll cages and such...I guess where I am going with this is, I am thinking about making the diesel into an all out mostly tube buggy.. I have been spending time on http://www.proffittscruisers.com/ and I have been getting many good ideas for a buggy.. i want to maintain part of a cruiser body and not just resort to only having a cruiser hood...I have come across this and it has really stuck on me...

i guess by doing something like this I wont be able to drive it on the streets anymore.... my justification is is that I dont drive it now and if I dont sell it i should at least build it.... i am not too crazy in having over 5 grand in parts just sitting there to be used only a few times a year but at the same time I dont ever have to worry about rolling too much because this is what this will be made for... to buy a new aluminum tub for this thing its gonna cost me well over 3000 bucks by the time I get the tub here and then probably another aditional 1000 to finish the rest of the body...

I will most likely end up going ahead with this and do it anyways but what does everyone else think.... would you build an expensive vehicle meant for only one purpose?? can i justify this to myself and say "well people buy new sleds and motorcycles and a lot of times dont make much use of them.. and they spend over 12 grand for a new one so.....

hard decision I guess but the appeal of a diesel rock buggy is sure pretty strong right now...

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:20 am; edited 4 times in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, there is this one too... i just prefer the "45 look" more...

oh yes.. and then there is this one.... this was my original first cruiser buggy love.... although I like the one from profitts better now...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should post what I am starting with...

oh, that horrible rust!!!

benji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody says why would you want a truck u can't drive on the streets, why would you build a rock crawler theres no rocks in Saskatchewan I say WHO CARES. I bet if people actually looked there is tons of rocks and awesome terrain to play in around here (not to mention the hundreds of other spots in the Canada & states). I say go for it, once you build it I bet you'll wheel it more then you think, and for the fact you won't have to worry about rolling it is worth building it all in itself. The first cruiser you posted it totally kickass btw. (and jeeze jp i need some stuff to tig weld so hurry up)
FJ80Chick
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with having a ton of money tied up in a truck you hardly ever drive....at least that's what I keep telling myself!!! Wink Go For It!!! Spend the money and have the fun now....before your better half says NO...yeah, right!!!

That'll be a sweet buggy - but how will you decide which one to take to BHCC this year??? Cool

2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 Touring
2009 Victory Vegas Low
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan-girl wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having a ton of money tied up in a truck you hardly ever drive....at least that's what I keep telling myself!!! Wink Go For It!!! Spend the money and have the fun now....before your better half says NO...yeah, right!!!

That'll be a sweet buggy - but how will you decide which one to take to BHCC this year??? Cool

Lori is totally cool with my hobbies and supports them fully as do I for her hobbies...I figure any girl who can tear down two toyota t-cases has to be a keeper!!!

as for which one to bring.. I will only have one ready and that will be extend-a-toy...
Rankenstein is gonna be next winters project because I am pretty sure I will be broke after the summer.. Rolling Eyes sucks.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so all of this talk of offroad expo has kinda got me thinkin.... sinse sgi is screwing things up for me regarding getting a truck on the road the way i want it built I was thinking of starting on this truck again for next years expo.... it would have to be in the unlimited class but thats fine because I dont expect to ever have this on the road anyways...

I am giving myself the summer to finish extend-a-toy and then after that mabey start playing with the idea of working on this truck.. i am gonna need some funds again being that most of my money is now tied up into extend-a-toy and shop tools but I may have a few things to sell by then..

the way I look at it is, I already have the tires and rims, all of the drivetrain except for half of the toybox, all of the steering, and all the fab equipment to do the job.. space may be a concern though..

i dunno, i am just throwing ideas around.... no matter what though, I need extend-a-toy done for the end of summer (wheather it can be on the road or not due to the sgi crap..) and I want startrek in the garage... I am basically doing the same frame and drivetrain build to both startrek and rank, both running toyboxes, 60 series axles, both having 5 speeds with a 3b diesel engine in front of everything and so on... if i can rebuild everyting at the same time it would be cool to do....

its late and I am not thinking properly... goodnight..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now taking donations and accepting sponsers for the future build... Laughing

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill start collecting cans. Razz
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori and I are pretty much decided that we are gonna go to cruise moab 09 next year and i am going to trailer a buggy down... I may have a line on a cheap 7000 pound trailer and I am still working on a truck..

from there if time permits i am planning a trip to black hills cruiser classic in the middle of july...

before all of this though, i would love to get it done for offroad expo as a tune up run before moab...

I just gotta actually build the truck first though.... I will hopefully get started on it by october/november... we will see though.. money is tight right now..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets play the build a "star trek rock crawler" paint game... have a say in designing my rig... I will post a bunch of real pics as well but its always fun to be creative!!! Very Happy

simply save this pic to your hard drive and use any paint program (I use microsoft paint because my computer doesnt like to load adobe products for some reason..) and start drawing away... i left the shifter in there for reference if it helps.. i mabey should have left a seat there too but you can figure it out...

this crawler I have decided is going to sit on 37-39 inch tires, be around 100 inch wheel base and only use the cowl and mabey a small section of frame as a base...

I am thinking of just leaving the minitrucks right now and concentraiting on this.. its just a thought though...

and here is my first attempt at, well, something..... Laughing

here is a second.. trying to cut the cowl up more and tweaked the back of the cage..

the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you have made it curvy and flowee, but I think that will be very hard to do.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you start with this and install the cowl from the cruiser:

add these:

Install cruiser axles, toybox, full hydro and a turbo'd 3B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a company that makes a cage/buggy that fits around the Crusier cowl??

I tried finding it but couldn't...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trentfabrication.com/

I would love to get the clear lexan hood...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: