Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the I have 30 days to work on the truck rebuild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
78Jimmy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With rising gas prices it sure makes a guy like this idea, with a little 4 diesel or alt fuel..

Bio Crawler, Hmmmm... Do you need a chassis to build that on, or just mock up the 4 link from there?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using just the cowl as in the pics on page two and the rest will be a complete buggy build around it...

-still thinking of 100 inch wheel base but this is subject to change as things progress...
-linked suspension front and rear..
-I will have a 3b diesel which will be turbo'ed/hf55 5 speed tranny/marlin toybox doubler/ to the toyota split case t-case...
-60 series cruiser axles front
-front 60 series cruiser axle for the rear.. yes, this is looking to be a rear steer buggy...
-longfields all around
-nitrogen/oil filled fox air shocks with 14-16 inch travel all around.. i was thinking about coil overs but they are too expensive.. I will be looking at the 2.5 inch air shocks.. they are cheaper...
-still deciding about going full hydraulic or not...
-set up for 37 inch tires but will run up to a 40...
-hopefully a "faster 41" built fuel cell... Wink

this list will grow I am sure...

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Fox-Racing-Shox-p-1-c-778.html
https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Double-Ended-Steering-Cylinder-8-10-Stroke-p-214.html
http://longfieldsuperaxles.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
CW Fab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:

-hopefully a "faster 41" built fuel cell... Wink

I think we can work something out! Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
younggun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you thought about these guys jp?
http://f-o-a.com/index.html
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hha ha hahaha hahhahahh aha haha hhahah ah ah aha ha hahahhah ah ha

i called marlin crawler back today and got them to order me the pieces that i am missing to make a second toybox.. this stuff will come with the completely built toybox that is coming also in a few weeks..

long time ago when i almost made the mistake in putting a chev 350 into Rankenstein i had bought all the toybox doubler stuff to go from a sm465 to toybox to splitcase.. well, i still have everything to build the back half of the toybox and all was needed was a different front plate for the toyota tranny instead of the sm465 chev tranny.. i figured that sinse marlin crawler has a sale where everything is 10 percent off (or if you are signed into the newsletter than you get 11 percent off) till the end of the year, i figured that i should buy some more stuff.. toybox stuff never ever goes on sale so if i can get this stuff for a little bit off than yay for me..

this toybox doubler will go into this truck eventually. i just have to get through finishing rank, and finishing extend-a-toy and then make a buggy.. Laughing Rolling Eyes
actually, the wifey and i are planning a trip to the TLCA Cruise Moab in 2013 so thats when i want to get this truck built for.. i have a really good idea how i want to build this truck.. its going to end up a tube buggy but it will again be a two seater 45ish looking buggy.. i will keep things true toyota though and plan on keeping everything toyota.. the whole domestic big block, dana axle, turbo 400 to atlas thing all in a tube chasis with a cruiser cowl isnt doing much lately for me.. plus its too expensive when i have everything to do it right and keep it toyota.. Wink

i will post some pics up here in the next few days to show what i will be up to..
actually, google "the raisin" on either marlin or pirate and you will see what i kind of want to do.. it is Marlin Crawler test rig owned by someone at slee offroad i believe.. it was built from a minitruck chasis and has that "pickup" look which i love.. i will get away from the hilux pickup look and will be keeping with the cruiser pickup look.. i wont be going 44 inch tires which it has but will stay in that 37-4D inch range which will be more than enough stress for toyota axles..

i was against going with a half cut frame years ago and then tubing the back half just because i didnt like the look but have now found a few buggys that do this well.. i want to stay sprung over in the front on super flat springs with short shackles and hangers and do a 4 link in the rear.. mabey do an eventual 3 link up front.. i dont know..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple of builds that i will be modeling my truck after... i really like both of these threads for the great pics and almost the step by step approach to the pics and how they built the trucks.. both have been built using a portion of the frame and built the tube work off of that.. i really like that idea because i dont have the skill nor the resources to be able to build an all tube buggy at this point..

i like this build as a base of what i want to do. i will be going more for a 45 buggy look so i will be stretching out the back of the cage to give more of a 45 truck look..

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934000

here is another that i have watched forever.. this is the latest incarnation of a truck that has been around forever..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365356

and, my all time favorite truck based buggy that is all Toyota.. the back end of the body and the passenger compartment cage are the two parts that i would like to carry over from this build to the 45 buggy.. also using springs all around is pretty cool..
if i had the money, i wish i could have bought this truck..

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003691&highlight=raisin

varty yo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! thats a great price for the raisin!!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. complete change of direction on this one.. i have decided that i cant really justify having a perfectly good cruiser being turned into a buggy and only be used a few times a year.. i would wrather to this into a usable truck again but do things a bit different..

being around Jason Smiths fj40 has made me really want a 40 series again.. the only issue i see is that i think there isnt enough room in them to pack a lot of stuff.. i really like my 45 but i dont have enough cab room and the box is open to the elements and bad people that can just reach in and steal stuff.. basically i want a cruiser with a big cab..

soooooooooooo,

i have a few aqualu gift cards to use and i feel like ignoring project extend-a-toy for a little longer so i think i am going to pull the trigger on a new cab for my bj42... only stretched 18 inches.... this basically puts this truck at a body length the same as a fj43 with a wheelbase thats a bit longer at 108 inches.. pretty much the same wheel base as my fj45...

here are a few pics to digest.. it does look a bit funny at some angles and the 285/70R17 (33 inch) tires on the icon dont do it any justice either but my truck will be sprung over on 37-40 inch tires.. i will be making the rear wheel well openings bigger and doing some flares as well.. basically the same thing as my 45..

here is the link to the icon site using aqualu's 18 inch stretch body..
http://icon4x4.com/overview/fj/gallery/by-model/fj43#

the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like the buggy idea better... Confused

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
I think I like the buggy idea better... Confused

too bad.. i cant justify it.. i dont have a way to get it to any trails and we wnt be buying a tow rig for at least two more years.

plus i need you to finish yours first.. Wink

the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that should be perfect timing for when you get it finished....

bahahaha my buggy has been going on ten years...

we suck.

Crying or Very sad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Crying or Very sad

redbull

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but it could use some flares on the rear. Or a shovel or a high lift mount. Anything to break up that slab side.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they have or would you be fabricating a hardtop for that or would you just go with a ragtop like those? I like it but also agree that it would need something to break up the long flat sides.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats funny.. this is exactly what Brad and i were talking about today.. it hard to tell in the pics but there is a vertical body line behind the from doors that does break it up but the icon trucks use such flat colours that it really makes it look exactly like you all are saying.. the apearance of a long flat slab side..

these trucks are all on 33's so that doesnt help either.. i really think that with 37's and rear flares kinda like what i have on my truck would really take some of that away.. i would end up cutting into the wheel well on the front side to bring the wheel well ahead.. i also looked at the 10 inch stretched truck but they just dont look right to me.. i think that if i am going to do this i will either have to go with no stretch or a big stretch.. ha.. aqualu also make a 27 inch stretched body.. those look quite funny..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: