Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the I have 30 days to work on the truck rebuild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before

okay.. how about this.. sprung over, 37s, high clearance fenders up front, bigger and more forward rear wheel wells.. this i what i will be going for..

after

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admit it... you all love my microsoft paint skilz..... Laughing Cool

redbull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
admit it... you all love my microsoft paint skilz..... Laughing Cool

You have MAD paint skillz, Bro.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like my paint shop version of this truck but i dont think its going to happen now.. its expensive and i already have a 3b diesel powered rig on the road. it took this long to get my truck to comfortably do 110 km/hr down the highway and i dont feel like putting the effort into having two diesel powered trail trucks..

so instead..

the buggy is back on!!

fawk it.. i have a car hauler and sort of a truck that can haul it for now and what the hell.. i sure would like to try this buggy business.. it will be leaves up front and probably either coils or bags in the rear...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i can live vicariously through Rusty Runner till i get another 40 some day.. Wink

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i spent a little money today.. i bought full linked suspension for the buggy both front and rear.. also a nice set of beadlocks are coming my way as well!!!!

just kidding.. Laughing Rolling Eyes who has that kind of money without selling something else first.. sheesh..

i did buy all the remaining parts today from georg (Orange45 on Mud) who owns valley hybrids in California for my toybox.. i got to talk to him quite a bit at last years Black Hills cruiser classic and he is a super knowledgable guy and nice guy to boot so i figured i would give him a try..
i got nothing too spectacular but i did get all brand new bearings for the spare toybox, parts of a twin stick kit for both this toybox and project Rankensteins toybox.. i was having trouble sourcing some little bits to finish the twin sticks kit i made for myself using Brads kit as a template so i ended up buying a few peices x2 for both toyboxes..

i will be putting together the spare toybox here in the near future to keep on the shelf for project Startrek down the road.. the big money express, aka my bank account, is going to come to a big hault after winter as well.. we are doing some major work to the house and its going to consume a lot of my go money for extra building.. we are still driving down to the rubicon in June and the black hills in July but thats it..

anyways, i will start posting some pics with a full toybox build soon..

(adding useless posts to trucks that arent going anywhere fast is my way of future motivation to get something built.. Laughing Rolling Eyes )

that sounds like my new sig... Laughing

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like this build.. i have been into the stretched fj40 thing lately and found a truck that i would like mine to resemble.. just with all toyota drivetrain and a nicer roll cage..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-land-cruiser/1028518-project-goin-big-fj40.html

Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
i really like this build.. i have been into the stretched fj40 thing lately and found a truck that i would like mine to resemble.. just with all toyota drivetrain and a nicer roll cage..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-land-cruiser/1028518-project-goin-big-fj40.html

That is an awesome build.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is more of just me cleaning up my yard more than anything...

i had bought two 80 series axles when i went to the states a while ago and i wanted the other for this truck.. i finally had some time to strip it and get it under yesterday.. i ended up having to remove the input flange from the 3rd member and drilled the proper bolt pattern into it to make it work.. other than that there was no issues.. I guess dragging the welder out into the yard was kind of annoying but really it all went pretty quick..

the original axle got parted out for the rear disc brake conversion to be sold and the rest got recycled because it was mostly junk..

here is a shot of making new holes in the 80 series flange..

next is the axle under the truck.. i even got all the brake lines on and brakes bled.. at least i can drive it again..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah yeah yeah.. finish Extend-a-toy first.... I know... Laughing

now with one cruiser mostly out of the way i can concentrate on only two projects instead of three... this buggy being one of them...

i am for sure going to build an all out buggy... there will be nothing street legal about this one.. Twisted Evil

the new plan is this...

I have another crawl box that will go into this truck.. only i will be building it with a centered output.. the front half will be marlin crawler toybox and the back half will end up with the typical mini truck centered case.. i also have another 30 spline big shaft upgrade for the front and rear outputs from marlin crawler so they should live for a while... the other thought was to go with a 203/208 crawl box but that's a bit more work to adapt to the cruiser 5 speed.. tippy'r the monster bj60 had this setup.. if i could just find out if rob rutledge sold it or not i could just buy that one..

the other biggy is that i am going with a dana 60 front diff and rear 14 bolt... the diffs have now been located and i will be getting them over the next week.. they have 4.10 gears in them.. i am thinking of going with a detroit in the rear and an arb up front.. there will be some modding to do with the front diff also.. i will post more details as time gets closer..
the thought right now is to go with some 42x17x14 wide maxxis tires.. they have huge tread on them and people seem to like them in the rocks..

the front suspension will be springs with the front diff sprung over.. the rear will be linked with either airbags or some kind of coils or coilovers.. i havent decided yet..

and tube... the whole back half of the cruiser is going to get some tube.. the only thing on the body i wil be keeping is the cowl, front bezel and hood... i will have more updates in a week..

benji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where this is going JP. The 3b torque and those Maxxis tires will be a lethal combo. You got me thinkin bigger axles too, seems to be the best bang for your buck.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

despite being sick most of the week i had a great day in the garage tonight... I managed to get the diff all cleaned up of all stock brackets, spring pads, etc...

i then got the diff out to the yard and took the 80 series diff out to be cut up for project Extend-a-toy...

and under with the new diff.....

I am not really spending any real quality time with the truck at this point.. i am just more or less trying to get some spare parts put in their spots for the winter..

I am picking up the front dana 60 in a few days but i wont have any time to put that in till spring...

i will be running a 42 inch tire with this truck now that i have diffs that will be able to handle them...

here are some pics....

i bought two diffs... they were from trucks that were almost sisters.. only half a year seperating them in production and about 30000 trucks from the assembly line.. i bought one to use and one for extra parts should I need any.. the price was right so why not... i cant believe how cheap these diffs can be bought for.. usually under 200 bucks a diff is what you should typically spend.. not bad for something that can handle running a 44 inch tire in stock form...

and the other...

and do you notice anything with these diffs?? they are both 14 bolt full floaters with the same wms..... it is the difference between 1976 and 77.....

and here everything was outside this evening...

and under the truck... i just tacked on some spring perches for not but the truck will be getting a rear 4 link with either springs or airbags.. haven't decided yet...

benji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good JP. How did you make out with front diff?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good.... i went to southern Saskatchewan where they all speak with an accent to pick myself up a dana 60 from a dually truck.. the hubs are a lot wider but there are tons of writeups on changing your hubs to the single rear wheel hubs (srw) or just do some machining to the dual wheel hubs to make them into the srw wheel mounting surface width.. chevy has all the casting marks there.. you just have to do some machining to clean up whats there...

this diff is a frickin beast... you dont really get a good idea for how big it is till you have it in the back of your trailer or you try to move it around after the fact... it weighs just over 500 pounds.... the rear 14 bolt is in that 550 pound range...

here is the pirate 4x4 dana 60 bible.. there are many links for upgrades and such from this page...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

oh and here is the 14 bolt bible...

http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the other thing that i am thinking about is what gearing this truck will have when its all together.. the norm seems to be 5.13's for that balance of strength and low enough gearing... this is usually coming from guys that run 200+ horsepower.. there is also a 5.38 option which the higher horsepower people stay away from usually but the guys like myself with a whopping 87 horses say that those gears would probably live a long time.. even after i turbo this truck it still wont be more than a 160 hp...

the plan for tires is in that 42" range... probably an irok but if i go with 40's than it could be the maxxis which i like a lot better but arent offered in a 42....

i will also go with gears from nitro... people love them, they make good gears and they set up really nice... i already have a few nitro goods in the cruiser and they are holding up well so far...

http://www.justdifferentials.com/D60-538-NG-p/d60-538-ng.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: