Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor rebuilder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina_blazer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Motor rebuilder Reply with quote

just bought a 88 4runner for dirt cheap, but a rod or rod bearing is gone. I need recommendations on a good and cheap place to remove the eingine and rebuild the bottom end. oh ya it has a 22re in it.

thanks

winch, tube bumper and a set of 31" Duratracs, 3.4L swap

Looking to Buy;

Factory E-locker (prefer 4.56 gears)
front axles for SAS swap
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that yesterday, it was definitly a good deal, I just have too much on the go right now. Your best bet would be to find a new/used engine. I listned to it run and I am pretty sure that that block is shot the way it was knocking.
I hope that you can do most of the work yourself, because if your paying someone else to do it, even though you got it for $500, you will have way more than its worth into it by the time you find a used engine and pay someone to do the R & R for you.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do pay a shop to tear the engine down and its no good like I imagine it is, you will still be out all the labour and not be much farther ahead.
Good luck with it though, let me know what it looks like inside if you do get it apart.
Regina_blazer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilding is one option i had in mind, also thinking of used or maybe a crate motor. Anyone have or know of a decent 22re for sale? Doing the work myself not be an option, back is toast. He mentioned the person before me drove a nice fantasy orange Toyota.

winch, tube bumper and a set of 31" Duratracs, 3.4L swap

Looking to Buy;

Factory E-locker (prefer 4.56 gears)
front axles for SAS swap
RorysRunner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not worth rebuilding these motors in my opinion.. i paid 2500 to have a valve job done.. on a 3.0. I could have dropped in a 350 with tranny for that price. Explore all your options. Oh by the way Stettner was the cheapest place I found, they dont do there own machine work, but they get real good deals.. rebuilding would be more than a crate motor though. If I could do it over again I definetaly would have gone with the 350.
TROY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u should be able to find an nice cheap 22re..... I did and it was only 10 miles from my house, and FREE.

The next time you go to a farmer's door asking permission to cross his land, all that he is going to remember is that idiot in the JEEP

BTC95 wrote:

And this has been another Useless post brought to you by Troy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Regina Buzz All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: