Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expected mileage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Technical Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Expected mileage Reply with quote

I've had my head in the sand over my truck but am deciding I should maybe give her some attention...

It's a 92 V6 4x4 pickup I bought off my bro a few years ago. Suspension and body lift on 33 BFG Mud Terrain tires. Everything else is stock (not including the rust, but that's for another topic).

My question to anyone here is what sort of mileage should I expect? Right now it's really bad - like in the 10 mpg range.

When I go on the highway the engine light will come on, but around town it is off. Power seems normal. Sounds normal. Strong smell of gas in exhaust (no leaks anywhere). Just think the computer is making it a little rich all the time. Guessing an O2 sensor issue.

So I'll hit the highway and get the light to come on again and make the effort to read the code - an obvious first step. But what should I expect anyway? What's realistic mileage for such a truck?

tia.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 91 4runner use to get me 400km to just under 60 litres. I worked it out to between 20 and 24 mpg.

you got problems friend.

Try the O2 sensor and look at replacing the cat. Mine was around 18-20 before i did the cat. They have a tendancy to plug up.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
vanhooton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be the o2 sensor. also try unplugging the battery for a half hour or so. my dad was gettin around 16 mpg on his explorer, he had the cables off the battery for a half hour and now hes getting around 22mpg city
toyrunner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 86 runner with a 89 power train 3l 5sp 4.56gears on 33tsl gets 17mpg city highway and towing. if the engine light only comes on at highway speeds and then shut off when you slow down it is the o2 sensor, but it could be the CAT is plugged up causing the o2 fault which would also cause bad fuel milage.

This forum needs a spell check?
Senator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the code: 25 Air-Fuel Ratio Lean.

So will be replacing the O2 sensor.

Funny story on my drive around yesterday to get the engine light to come on I crossed a side road a bit too fast and lost my muffler on the other side. It jammed into the road and flew out the back landing in a swath in the field! (don't worry mister farmer, I took it out). It was due for replacement anyway.
y2k-onyx-ss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 4runner is getting shitty fuel mileage lately, no codes for o2 sensors but one for knock, and i can feel it pulling timing when its cold.

i wonder what the deal is.
after i got a warranty head gasket replacement it started and toyota said they wont look at it under that replacement.

i get like 300-320 a tank.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance they f-ed up the timing?
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Chance they f-ed up the timing?

I have ran my timing on my 3 litre in almost every posistion. It still always seems to run great and never heard any pinging...i suspect the O2
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Technical Information All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: