Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Twisty the ultimate twist-a-nator and a welding table
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you asked, and I know you.... I wouldn't bother. Everything is a little bit custom and are you really going to trust your scrap book or are you going to go and measure every time?

I know I measure every time and draw out on the floor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
would it be too much extra effort to make myself a tube bending scrapbook that tell me all the specs of everything that i will evercommonly build such as shock hoops and roll cage hoops etc..???

what are everyones thoughts?? or at least the 3 or four people that are following my shenanigans?? Laughing Confused

If you want to have something repeatable you should document it. If it takes more time to document than it takes to experiment every time, then there isn't a point documenting it. Very Happy
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
slacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you need is a "sst tool" . I used 1 piece of tube for ever die I have , marking the inital start point of the bend with a pipe cutter , and consistantly marking the * of bend ..

this is a "hard" part that gets kicked around , but the hard marks dont lie
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally the bender is looking like it is coming together tonight.. i got the top part 90 percent done.. i will be done the top part tomorrow and then its time to move to the bender base..
actually, if things go good, there might be a chance that i can be up and running either at the end of the weekend or shortly after.. the base is going to take nothing to build.. it will all depend on how the hydraulics turn out..

a few quick pics from tonight..

all the 3/4 bolts got the heavier wall tubing instead of the stock thin piece that is also seen here..

two of the holes were too big in the shackle so i drilled the shackle holes out to 19mm and pressed in a 3/4" o.d. x 1/2" i.d. bushing made from dom so i would match the middle mounting holes and work with the bender.

brackets installed..

side view..

top view..

the cylinder got "1" o.d. x 3/4" i.d. bushings for easier mounting..

put together..

the ole' top view..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the top half of the bender finally done today.. after being bogged down with stuff all week i finally had a chance to put a little time into Mr. Twisty the twistanator today.. Wink

i used the ole' air source to slowly and carefully extend a retract the cylinder to see how much stroke Mr. twisty will have.. looks like i should be able to bend a solid 90 degrees in one stroke.. Cool

i sure cant wait till this is done!!!

i went to Princess auto yesterday to pick up some hydraulic fittings and decided against buying their stuff.. its not too badly priced but I can buy parker and aeroquip stuff for cheaper or close to the same price and have much better stuff.. i can also get hose cheaper as well and will just buy the aeroquip stuff from good-all... that way i can use the crimper at work and do things on my time instead of relying on princess auto store hours..

i got a good start on the base of the bender tonight as well.. i hope to have a rolling stand by monday and get all my hydraulic stuff by wednesday and hopefully have a running bender by next weekend.. i know i know i said this weekend by that story always gets fawked up..

quick dimensions on the base are about 4' long x 26" wide and around 3 feet tall.. not too sure about the last one yet..

pics to follow as soon as photobuckets stops screwing around..

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the cylinder clamp pretty much done.. the clamp is welded to the hinge and then i put some extra bracing behind that just because i like overkill..

i decided to do a couple of quick stringers to the back of the cylinder just because i like overkill... i am very happy with how this all turned out..

here you can see that this was an earlier pic because the stringers arent there.. the bender can do over 90 degrees in one stroke.. very happy with that also..

and just some mocking up of the base and what has to go on it.. here you see the hydraulic tank, pump and 220 volt motor to run this all.. it is a 5 hp. motor and runs at over 3000 rpm.. should work great..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant seem to sleep for some reason.. may as well post some pics..

the stand was built to 36" high.. it is 48" long and i went with 26" deep..
i will hopefully have a tank and pump mounted tomorrow..

the beginning of the stand..

slacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks good sir!!

a couple more for tonight.. i am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nicer hydraulic conversions I have seen. Nice work. Looks like it will tuck into a corner without issue when not in use as well.

What kind of controls, and where are you going ot mount them? On "top" of the ram?

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real good JP.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustythe4x4 wrote:
One of the nicer hydraulic conversions I have seen. Nice work. Looks like it will tuck into a corner without issue when not in use as well.

What kind of controls, and where are you going ot mount them? On "top" of the ram?

thanks!!

yes.. i wanted it to take not much more room than an average shelving unit in the garage.. it will actually be taking the place of one of my shelving units that i am taking down being that most of the stuff on it was for my bender.. its feels good to get more crap off the shelves and made into long overdue projects.. Wink

i have a manual valve and also a electric over hydraulic valve that i was going to use by i am overcomplicating this bender and decided to not use the electric over hydraulic valve and just keep things simple.. plus its like 300-400 bucks cheaper to just stay with the manual valve.. it is going to be located over the bender itself in a nice central location so i can get at the controls from what ever side of the bender that i need to get at them..

i am actually almost done.. i should be close today.. all i have left is to make one bracket, plumb my hydraulics and do some wiring.. i may paint this thing as well.. i am not too sure though..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a few more for tonight.. this is really starting to turn into a heavy duty piece of equipment..

the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks beefy! I like.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost done.. if things go good and i dont have too many distractions, I should be bending tube tomorrow.. this is exciting..

I did all of the hydraulic plumbing and i also routed all of the electrical.. i bought 15 feet of hydraulic hose thinking i would have left over and instead i had exactly enough.. barely.. tomorrow i will crimp all of my ends and finish up the hydraulics..

also, i have to get a few wiring stress reliefs and then i can hook up some wires. and hose clamps.. need hose clamps. oh and 3/4 insulated clamps.. shopping list complete for tomorrow.. Smile

here are a few pics of this evening..

from the front

from the rear

and the side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: