Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project "The Dirty 30"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Non Toyota Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Project "The Dirty 30" Reply with quote

Well today I found another project truck. Its a 1988 Chevy K30 Crew Cab. I like because its got all the heavy duty parts on it (Turbo 400,NP205, D60/14 Bolt). The bad part is that the previsous owner run it low on oil and now the pistons, (dont know which ones) and cylinder walls are scored, probably needs a quick bore. I was expecting the rod or main bearings to be the main problem. Also this is TBI 350 thats in it which I thought to be a plus. I'm planning on taking the motor out of my toyota to power this truck. I picked it up for $1500 which I thought wasnt bad considering I can part it out for more than that.

[img]

[/img]

[img][/img]

Last edited by 1982PrairiePounder on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be prepared to spend another grand rebuilding the axles....if the previous owner ran the motor low on oil, i can just imagine what his maintenance trackrecord has been for the rest of the truck.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick check tonight the u-joints in the axle shafts are tight, d-shaft needs a cv u-joint. I'm gonna check the king pins/oil level/etc etc after work tomorrow. Just wondering though, should I rebuild the stock motor or just swap in my carbed 350 motor out of my toyota??. I really would like to keep the stock motor in it.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: gbbvhv Reply with quote

Sweet! I really like those old crew cabs. Any plans on a lift ect after sorting out the engine?
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just a 2" lift and stuff some 265/75/16s on it. I was thinking of robbing the 33s off my Toyota, but i need 16.5 rims.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool score-the mud mans truck! The truck was probably never off road-but as said- he wasnt much for the maintanence. Leave the motor/tires etc on your truck and look for others. 84 Blazer in town for $400. New rad. Maybe sold but Im not sure.
She's gonna be a HOG on fuel but might be fun!
BTW pop off the hub caps-pretty sure there are 8 bolts under them! Wink Wheels wont fit.
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice.

After seeing rusty quad cab his rig, I think an old style chev work truck is in my future...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop by the shop Josh and Ill show you our new shop truck "Moby Dick".
It only spins the rear tires though. Crying or Very sad
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet to see another quad cab. You can shorten that frame to a reg. cab frame length super easy to make a hell of a wheeler!

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol ok i wanna see this new dope ride of yours. Ya, the hub caps are gonna be the first mod....anyone want 4 free frizzbees? Laughing . Ya gas mileage will blow, but it aint gonna be driven much. I'm trying to track down a good TBI motor or I might just rebuild this one.
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustythe4x4 wrote:
sweet to see another quad cab. You can shorten that frame to a reg. cab frame length super easy to make a hell of a wheeler!

Ya, that crossed my mind, but I fiqured that would be really time consuming and I thought it would be easy just to get a reg cab frame and put my drivetrain on it. I really wanna get in running first and go for a little drive test.
Live2Crawl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be an awesome hunting rig !!
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I thought so too, Hey anyone know a really good machine shop in Regina?, I wanna get the motor bored over.
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, its WAYYY easier to shorten the frame. I put a 4 door on a reg cab chassis, and found TONS of little issues. To shorten it up, you just move the spring mounts forward, and torch off the remaining frame sticking out the back, and deal with your drive shaft. voila, ultra short box quad cab perfect for hunting, camping, or just fun wheeling times for you and 5 buddies.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
1982PrairiePounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustythe4x4 wrote:
To be honest, its WAYYY easier to shorten the frame. I put a 4 door on a reg cab chassis, and found TONS of little issues. To shorten it up, you just move the spring mounts forward, and torch off the remaining frame sticking out the back, and deal with your drive shaft. voila, ultra short box quad cab perfect for hunting, camping, or just fun wheeling times for you and 5 buddies.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. What do you do about the gas tanks??. Ya, this things is way to long, shorting it would definetly help it by more nible. Ya, I get a motor I wanna lift just 2" whats the easyiest way to lift the front?. I was thinking shackles, but what else?. Oh Ya I ran the RPO codes found out its got a posi in the rear Very Happy .

[img]

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Non Toyota Builds All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: