Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a good starter sled..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: looking for a good starter sled.. Reply with quote

sooooo... Lori and I want to get a good 2 seater sled for the winter... I have done a ton of research and honestly, in my opinion, they are all junk or some aspect of them is junk... it doesnt matter what brand name, they all seem to have their own big fault or downfall... you just have to accept the problem that sled may have and deal with it when the time comes...(kind of like buying a domestic made vehicle I guess..)

so the things we want in a sled is:

-roomy for two people
-some sort of storage basket or container or at least room to carry or hold a good amount of stuff...(milk crate size perhaps???)
-reliable, or at least really good for a couple of seasons... small repairs aside..
-some creature comforts such as heated grips, thumb warmers, reverse, etc.....
-be in that 3000 and under range!!!!!!

the models that I have mostly looked at have been in the polaris flava' in their 2 Person Luxury Touring XLT style of sleds...
this is a 600 tripple.. some people swear by them and others swear at them.. i dunno???

what else is out there regarding this style of sled keeping in mind of my wish list...makes and models appreciated...

I am not needing some powerhouse sled either.. just something that is good for a fair price...

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice, get two sleds.

Riding two up sucks. Period.

not sure on brands, but Kieth drives nothing but Polaris because of the engines but would like a skidoo chassis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a '93 XLT with the 600 triple. I bought it with fairly high mileage off a good buddy of mine. He had the skirt break off of a piston but was able to ride it out of the bush, they pulled the head, honed the cylinder, put a new piston in and it ran great. I rode the HELL out of that thing, since everyone I rode with had late model high performance stuff. I put a two stage (or was it three stage?) helix in the clutch and it seriously woke that thing up. One day it didn't want to start so I took it in and it had a blown crank seal, they replaced that and freshened up the clutch. What pissed me off was they didn't change the OTHER crank seal. So of course about 50 miles later when I'm wide open across a field that one blows and takes out the motor!!! So I phone them up and ask them what the deal was, they said I never told them to do it! Shocked Hmmm lets think about this guys, it's been in there just as long as the one you replaced! I'm pretty sure if they would have mentioned it I would have told them to do it and probably would have done even more to it!

The triple is heavier than a 600 twin so you really notice the extra front weight in the tighter trails or deep snow. My next machine was a 2000 600 XC, way better suspension, handled and rode better, LOTS of power and one less set of parts to worry about!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does it suck?? if its a room thing, that doesnt bother us.. she used to be my back seat passenger all the time on my motorbike and nothing is better than a girl that has her legs wrapped around you anyways.. Cool how is it different in the snow?? I figure we will just be warmer that way.. Laughing
Lori has no desire to ride her own sled and I cant afford to buy two sleds.. Lori would only come out every once in a while anyways..

what would you recomend and again, what is wrong with 2up riding??

I need to know so I dont make a mistake.. Wink

double-d

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it doesn't matter what you get they all can be junk!!
Personally I would stay away from a triple. They seem to blow up more often. Some people have great luck with them and the next guy will have a nightmare. Besides a twin has one less plug and one less carb to worry about.
A few of my friends and family had late 90's ski doo 583's and they seemed to be a pretty good unit. Lasted a long time with few problems.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any good snowmobile forums that a lot of people are on around??

I need to get more opinions of other 600 triple owners out there... they seem to have sold a million of these things and as they got newer there were more and more things done to them to improve reliability as well...

I agree that a twin in a sense would be less problamatic than a triple but in an automotive sense It would never detour me from buying a 6 or 8 cylinder engine over a 4 cylinder because there are less moving parts in a 4 cylinder...

or when dealing with small engines is this not the mentality to have?? is more really bad??

SCHOOL ME!!!!

toybox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way to go on two stroke machines is the basic one. Low h.p. one lung/twins machines almost never blow up, if they do it's a cheap rebuild. High h.p. liquids the only thing you have to wonder about is when it will blow.
Two strokes belong on chainsaws and scooters. Very Happy

Last edited by toybox on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a ski doo guy and pretty much always will be. I have always liked the styling of them over all other sleds. That being said, i have never really rode anthing else. My dad has an early 90's arctic cat. 440 liquid. Good getup and go but the worst suspension ever. Its like riding a dodge and the suspension is always froze up. it is also a tank, doesnt handle well and never seems to have traction.

I agree though. Never will own a 2 up. Riding 2 up is awkward and it is hard to manouver because if your passenger does not know how to ride you will always be off the trail or somewhere you didnt want to be.

Stay away from tripples. You don't want the extra weight and you dont want the extra hastle. It is common to pop the center piston because of frozen carbs and lean conditions resulting. Part of the reason why you will find few if any tripples in any of the manufacturers lineups.

I would not go smaller then a 440 if i were you and make sure its liquid cooled. Get a 136" for the extra float and traction and try and find at least a 1" track or you will always be stuck.

I would recomend a good skidoo touring machine.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:

there is such a thing??? cool... what are some models??

toybox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundra
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two up on a sled is like comparing a goldwing on the highway to a motorcross bike out at the pits... Also, in the sow, you won't have steering traction like on a bike, you need to manipulate it around corners, or it's straight into the tree or off the trail.

You don't want to be the old man out on the trail with a 2 up. Razz

For strictly trail riding at 30mph it is OK, for ditch banging and running across open fields or having fun up at Nisbet, I would hate it. We have three cats out at the farm, two of them are two up, if we have more then three riders, we don't go out. Even the girls don't like driving with someone behind them. Confused

I still say try and get two, You always said this is a rich mans sport... hehehe.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
littlerunner wrote:

there is such a thing??? cool... what are some models??

i did a quick google search and this info on the 98 lineup came up

http://www.motorsports-network.com/skidoo/98snotou.htm

The touring e has the little 380cc fan cooled engine in it. My mom had the 98 Formula S with this motor and it has been great. Not 1 issue since new and over 5500km. Motor has never been touched, still the original factory belt on it. It is only 38hp which is small for 2 riders but with her short track 1 up seat riding 2 up it still moved us ok. Just didnt work well in deep snow and it was no powerhouse.

I said avoid fan cooled but we never had a problem with our fan cooled sled. you will notice a loss in power in the warmer weather.

I think the perfect sled for you would be the GT500 or GT583. Liquid cooled twin. Caddy suspension with on the fly air ride control (We had a friend with at GT but the larger model. It was so nice to ride). Big carrying rack behind.

If you wanted a little smaller the touring SLE would be good as well but a smaller, fan cooled engine. ALso comes with RER ( electronic reverse) which actually stops the motor and reverses the direction of the motor to drive you backwards at the push of a button.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toybox wrote:
tundra

good sled, but way to small. He needs a little more hp then that sled would provide.

Another option would be a skandic widetrack. You would never get stuck and when you did, you would be hooped, but they do come with reverse and i seen one in the back country and it was the sled that they used to break trail. The skandic is the skidoo workhorse.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: bgfdfbgd Reply with quote

Quote:
Another option would be a skandic widetrack. You would never get stuck and when you did, you would be hooped, but they do come with reverse and i seen one in the back country and it was the sled that they used to break trail. The skandic is the skidoo workhorse.

x2 on this one. Mitchner Allen auctions in Edmonton usually run these through between $500 and $1500. But what is going to make the most difference is the suspension and track. If you can find a good 2 up sled, and plan on not getting stuck, make sure you have at least an inch and a half lug if not 2" (seriously!) I have seen what the difference makes! I would go Skidoo or Yamaha, for an older sled, but polaris has a good 2up with reverse too. I would only go 2003 and up on any arctic cat though. My .02cents Rolling Eyes
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, I would try to make friends with someone who has an extra sled and go out for a ride yourself. Nothing beats personal experience when it comes to selecting what works for you.
If your going to be around Regina anytime in the near future let me know. I have an extra machine and would be more than happy to take you out.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: