Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a good starter sled..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowmobile Forums

Sasksnowmobile.com new Saskatchewan specific site

Hardcoresledder.com - Great site with regional sections and discusion areas for all brands.

dootalk.com - Great site for Ski Doo specific info.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: bgfdfbgd Reply with quote

Rainman wrote:
Quote:
Another option would be a skandic widetrack. You would never get stuck and when you did, you would be hooped, but they do come with reverse and i seen one in the back country and it was the sled that they used to break trail. The skandic is the skidoo workhorse.

x2 on this one. Mitchner Allen auctions in Edmonton usually run these through between $500 and $1500. But what is going to make the most difference is the suspension and track. If you can find a good 2 up sled, and plan on not getting stuck, make sure you have at least an inch and a half lug if not 2" (seriously!) I have seen what the difference makes! I would go Skidoo or Yamaha, for an older sled, but polaris has a good 2up with reverse too. I would only go 2003 and up on any arctic cat though. My .02cents Rolling Eyes

yes, i did not want to say it due to the arctic cat fans here...but in my opinion arcticat is not the way to go. The newer ones are pretty sweet though. I would like to ride one of them. But the older ones are harsh rides and performance and reliabilty has been one of their downfalls.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Nodge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend a Rotax twin engine in whatever chassis suits you best.
Ride as many sleds as you can before you buy.
CW Fab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the rest of the guys, you need to try out a bunch of different machines until you find the one that feels "right" to YOU!

Oh yeah and like Brad mentioned, it's a rich mans game! Laughing

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster41 wrote:
Oh yeah and like Brad mentioned, it's a rich mans game! Laughing

not necisarily. If JP has any kind of fabrication skills and mechanical knowledge, he may be able to get a good cheap moderately wrecked chasis or good chasis with a pooched engine and he could fix one of for pretty cheap.

But as I said, he would have to have mechanical knowledge....

i think he has the knowledge...just not sure he has the TIME!!!! got the other projects done yet? Razz
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
CW Fab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but there is always something: shocks to recharge, ski skins and sliders to replace, bearings to change, carbides to replace, track upgrades, belts to replace, carb rebuilds, clutches to rebuild, windshields to replace, fiberglass to repair... and that doesn't even get into the hundreds of dollars you'll spend on fuel and oil. Plus the trailer and/ or truck to haul it out of the city with and all of the fuel/ wear and tear on that!
Lets face it if you haven't fixed/ changed half of that list in a year then you aren't "riding", and in that case it it shouldn't matter what machine you buy.
To me riding is 1000 plus miles a year.
The first year I had a sled I went to eight derby's(shortest 50 miles longest 100), rode a 30-50 mile round trip for steaks one night a week (depended which small town we went to) and rode all day Saturday AND Sunday, so 100 plus miles each day of trails/ ditches and fields.
Now THAT is "riding"!
If all you want to do is 200 miles a year worth of "ditch bangin" then you can do that on a JD Spitfire or equivalent and hook as many "Gt Racers" behind as you want so your friends can tag along . Laughing

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
dj_squelch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a few machines up here and from what you originally state as your desires and needs from this sled I have a suggestion:

a Polaris Indy Trail.

Yep, its not the fastest but shes roomy, has decent speed, has a basket on the back, has hand and thumb warmers and runs forever. Plus they made those things for like 10 years so finding one should be easy and parts are readily available both new and used. I think they look fairly sharp as well. My parents have owned one since I was 14 ish. my brother and I have beat the ever loving crap outta that machine. The only thing ever to break was a mirror and the throttle lever when i rolled it once. Mine also has a hitch for a sleigh behind it.

You will never win a drag race And you probably wont want to spend too much time in real deep snow with it (it is a little bit heavy) but for an all round 2 up touring sled its the bee's knees!

If you want a test ride come on up and I'll supply the sled if you'll supply the rum!

Those are my 2 bits anyways.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is indeed the exact sled that I have been narrowing down my search to... I appreciate the offer!!! if i was a little closer I would totally take you up on it!!!

what year is the sled in the pic???

pretty much any of the polaris line up to 99 in a touring sled is what I have been checking out... unfortunatelly, so has everyone else and it sure seems to be apopular sled to try to find....

its good to know someone who has had one first hand though and has a lot of positive praise for it!!! thanks! i will have to continue my search..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
dj_squelch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stole the pic from google image search but its the same as mine which I believe is a 95. The newer ones get few tweaks like a better suspension and a slightly faster engine. But I love mine just fine Razz
double-d

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies growing up had one of those polaris trails. They beat the sh!t out of that thing and it kept on going. Good old motor toboggan for sure!!
toybox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My buddies growing up had one of those polaris trails. They beat the sh!t out of that thing and it kept on going. Good old motor toboggan for sure!!

Plain jane makes em last
Nodge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering the Indy Trail, check out a Polaris SKS (snow king sport) if you see one.
My dad had one for a few years. (not all SKS are 2 up.)

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, like trying to buy anything else in this world, people think their junk is worth big money and no one cares to resonably dicker because they think they might get the asking money...

there is no way that a 99 polaris sport touring is worth almost 4grand when it has no electric start and almost 4000 miles and the track is half good with all of the other wearable track parts in about the same shape...
I have no experiece with sleds and it doesnt take a special person to know that the asking price is a thousand bucks to high.. according to a lot of other kijiji adds and other classifieds out there.. and especially sinse it was an american sled that I am sure he only paid 1800 bucks for it..

I cant believe how cheap it is to buy a sled from the states!!! 2 identicle machines can be up to 3500 bucks in price difference.... I suppose its the same thing as how our vehicles are priced, but holy moly...

okay, I am over it...

I will continue to be the cheap bastard I am and see if i can find a sled for the 1800-2800 dollar price range that i am looking for... it seems that there are a ton out there... but you have to be quick on the draw to get one and most of the cheap ones were offered for sale in november...
mabey i will get one in april when people are giving them away..

BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep looking, and be ready to jump on the right deal when it comes along. Unfortunatly for you you are shopping for a sled during the part of the year when they are worth, or atleast priced at their highest. But that does'nt mean that there are not deals to be found still.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think I found the right deal... or at least a fair deal anyways... I will have to do a couple of small things to it but otherwise it seems like a terrific sled to start with.. I am quite excited to have one... I just got the plates for it last night as well!!! woo hoo!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: