Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Gremlins!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Help! Gremlins!!! Reply with quote

I have been attacked by the ever elusive motorbike GREMLIN!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Problem:
Bike will not start, or intermitenley start and run for about 30 secs then die and then have no spark again. (with no ryhm or reason)...where's that bang your head against the brick wall emoticon????

Things I have done:
Changed all connectors to battery, coil, starter.
Followed all wiring to see if broken/damaged ect and fixed any I found.
Found starter cap was very loose and almost falling off. Fixed/tightened but nogo!
Ran a direct wire from pos battery to coil (still notta)

Have Yet To Replace/Check:
Ignition electronic module
Coil

....any ideas why it will start for 30 secs sometimes then be dead??? any hints on how to check module and coil? or any other tips?.... It turns over fine and all lights ect come on....just no spark. Rolling Eyes
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
damcgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have another bike for parts, change out the coil.
They go bad sometimes and are a pain in the butt..
Also check plugs, wires, etc. Its usually the simple stuff hiding somewhere
06 F150 fx4 4x4
03 Skidoo rev mxz 800 renegade
12 Can am Renegade 1000
Clay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are losing spark and it's not a fuel or air problem? What does it run like when it does start? Choke on?Off? Yes a parts bike will help. Start with putting everything back to the way it was when it was working and start swapping parts. You could be dealing with a few problems. What bike is it?
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: tgwrgwrt Reply with quote

It is my 81 shovelhead. I did change the plugs and wires also. Yes forsure it is an electrical and not fuel. No parts bike unfortunately. It runs very nice when it DOES run. But 30 secs later dies.
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
toyrunner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after it dies how long before you can start it again? it might be a stater/generater problem, give me a call this weekend I might have time to come out and look at it.

This forum needs a spell check?
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had similar issues before due to a poor ground to the coil.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no ryhm or reason to when it might start again?!? could be a minute/hour or 2-3 days?? Thanks Brad!
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: efgdvbdg Reply with quote

I will try a direct ground wire to the coil then tonight. I tried one for the posative but not negative. Thanks Booker
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: efgdvbdg Reply with quote

Rainman wrote:
I will try a direct ground wire to the coil then tonight. I tried one for the posative but not negative. Thanks Booker

If you still have not tried the coil you should, coils can act up like that when they are going. THey can bench test fine cold but when they warm up they do goofy things and then will not work right until the coil cools down again. Or it could be the ECM. I had both happen to me on my old K-car and we chased it around for a long time.

Is the bike old enough that it uses a points system? Perhaps that is the culpret or even electronic ignition.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: dfgdf Reply with quote

No points, anymore, checked ground, still nothing. There is definately power going to the coil, just not going out to the spark plugs. Any other way I can bypass the ecm and just check the coil. To me it's obvious that it is the coil since there is power going in, but none coming out!! But I know that the ecm, and ignition switch might have some role in that as well??...right??
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to bench test the coil with a multi meter, but you would need to know what the specs should be on it to determine anything that way.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
You should be able to bench test the coil with a multi meter, but you would need to know what the specs should be on it to determine anything that way.

As I mentioned previously, a bad coil may bench test ok when its cold.

If you have power going into the coil and no spark coming out, I would guess it is the coil. A coil is likley cheaper then a ecm to swap out so i would start there.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: zdfvsvdfd Reply with quote

Well I found the little b@$%ard!!! He was hiding in the run stop switch on the handle bars. Just by fluke, I started cranking it over and accidentally hit the stop switch and when it stopped it backfired!! Shocked So that told me there was a spark Very Happy . So I turned the switch back on and away it went with no hesitation just fired right up. So I opened it up and sure enough there was a yellow wire just dangling free in there. Hooked it back up and problem fixed. Yaaaaaaahooooooo!!! Thanks everyone for the help. Wink
Clay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A yellow gremlin, those are the slyest ones.... great job, Mark!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: