Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my winter beater
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: my winter beater Reply with quote

picked this up a short while ago..

92 4runner SR5 V6
full load minus leather
5 speed standard

no plans for this at all except put my spare engine into it.. nobody wanted my 3 litre engine that was in excellent shape so i decided that i would buy a vehicle that needed a 3 litre engine.
its got a small head gasket leak and a burnt valve but actually still runs quite nicely. the truck was on kijiji for quite a while as the top ad and the girl that was selling it said that she only got 4 phone calls on it.. the whole truck is actually in pretty decent shape with a little bit of rust in some odd places and thats it.. it also has a few electrical issues with the windows but nothing that i cant fix.. there are about 1500 dollars worth of bills from the last year for the truck and close to 3500 dollars in bills over the last 2 years.. the guy completely tried to maintain this truck.. there are also new brakes from 150 kms ago as well..
the plan for it is to be my winter beater and tow my sled around.. i will be putting my spare engine into it in a few weeks and than it should be a pretty good truck..
the plans for it this week are to take the gay running boards off and get the windows and locks all in perfect working order..

i already have put on around 600 kms sinse i bought it and it only seems to be running better but i will swap engines because i know the day i need it, something will go wrong.. we drove out to watrous and area this weekend to do some geocaching and light wheeling with it and it did good.. i can see why toyota sold a million of these trucks.. they are super comfy to drive and still wheel pretty good in stock form...i dont even mind the ghey ifs up front..at least for this truck anyways. so far i have put a tank of gas through it and i got about 550 kms out of 60 litres.. i didnt think it was too bad for this size and weight of truck. and considering the engine is running anything but perfect i think it can only get better once i swap engines.

here is a pic from getting it dirty this weekend..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got 550 km's out of 60 litres on a 3.0 stock 4runner with a bad engine? I wouldn't touch a thing. Best I ever did stock was regina to estevan and back. Just over 400km's and I was driving on fumes...but Mine was the auto.

I have a pitman arm with 1 trip to stoon and back before i did my swap. If yours is bad let me know.

Looks like its in great shape.

If the door locks and windows are not functioning, chances are you have broken wires at the door hinges. Thats what was wrong with mine.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
y2k-onyx-ss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea 550 is great.

mine is an auto and tops I get 400 highway.
around town its crap for mileage.
it does have 32"s but still factory the SR5 had 31"s as an option
ZukiKev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3L with 392k gets 450km to a tank around town! Cool
redbull

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Toyota, but my Pajero gets over 900kms to a tank. Of course, being a diesel with a 92L tank helps!
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah my cruiser gets 325km per 80 Litres.
the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Runner wrote:

Shocked

Finally someone that gets worse mileage then me...

18.9L/100km

the two other trucks that where on our trip got in that 13L/100km

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a decent 4runner JP, when we had ours with the 3L and auto we never got 500 km to a tank.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am almost through tank #2 now and right at this point i am at 435kms with 1/4 tank left... i have been driving the heck out of it though with this tank... the first tank was a mix of highway and city... this last tank is mostly highway with about 100 kms of city driving. i also got out this weekend and had it in 4low and one million rpm for quite a while so we wouldnt get stuck.. i can see the fuel going quickly when the truck goes into 4wd..

i had training at work today so i was at work for the day time and then decided to stay afterwards to look into my issues with the doors and such...
the back window looks like a rail is rusted and broken and the piece i need is 17 bucks from toyota...
the issues with my door locks were actually many... thanks rusty runner for giving me the tip of taking my window switches apart and cleaning the contacts.. i ended up taking the window and lock switches from every door apart and they were pretty bad.. looks like there was a lot of electrical arking across most of the terminals.. once i took the emmery cloth to all of the contacts some of my issues went away... i then took the drivers side door harness out and found 4 broken wires and two more that didnt have much left before breaking as well... i will fix these tomorrow as i ran out of time today.. i temperarily hooked them up to see what would work and all of my doors locks and window worked like they should... yay!
i also got my running boards and stuff off... they were crazy rusty underneith that plastic top cover. i do have a pretty big rust hole in my drivers rocker but i will spend a couple hours and weld in a new piece next week.. the passenger rocker is clean.. i cleaned up a few random rust spots as well so nothing will spread.. the truck looks quite a bit better now..
other than giving the truck a really good wash and scrub, thats about it for today.. i enjoy driving this thing around.. i have almost no money into it but i will say that i think the 3 litre kinda sucks.. it basically has just enough power to get out of its own way.. other than that its a fun truck...
anyone need a 92 runner after winter?? Very Happy

oh yeah, does anyone have spare spacers for the back to get the rear lifted a couple of inches?? i really dont want to spend the time making anything unless its easy to do.. i think rusty had a good idea but i dont remember what he used for materials...

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slices of 6" OD pipe. I think I used 1/2" wall with flat bar extending at least 3/4" past, tack welded and bent around one end so as to keep the spring from "falling off. You place the spacer at the top between the frame and the top of your spring.

The end of the pipe. I went with 2.5" tall, If you go that tall you will have to relocate your pan hard bar down otherwise your axle will be too far to the passenger side and you will get rank "wiggle" in the ass end as you go over bumps.

I think 1.5" is about right without having to adjust anything else other than the load sensing valve arm for braking.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple quick pics with running boards off and all cleaned up... now it just has to get sunny outside...

Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could spend around $100 and get air bag helpers. They could be a selling feature later on. Plus when you level out while towing it makes a huge differance in how the vehicle will handle.
Terry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
Rusty Runner wrote:

Shocked

Finally someone that gets worse mileage then me...

18.9L/100km

the two other trucks that where on our trip got in that 13L/100km

I have been averaging 18l/100 kms with my new winter toy, a 98 C/K ext cab 3500 with a 6.5 td
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I win!!! I get between 19 and 20 L per 100km in the city...but only in the summer time. It gets much worse come winter. Cool oh wait... Sad
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry wrote:

I have been averaging 18l/100 kms with my new winter toy, a 98 C/K ext cab 3500 with a 6.5 td

who let this guy back on the internet??

Shocked Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: