Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ80Chick
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: ATV Safety Reply with quote

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091024/W5_ATVs_091024/20091024?hub=WFive

Not sure if any of you caught this on W5??

2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 Touring
2009 Victory Vegas Low
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a bunch of whiney people in Toronto trying to make a story about nothing. Of course riding an ATV is an inheriantly dangerous hobby. And anyone who does so without a helmet deserves the risk they are taking, its common sense to wear a helmet.

Is riding an atv actually more dangerous than riding a horse? I doubt it, yet I've never read an article where someone was asking to ban horse back riding. I'm sure Christopher Reves family wishes he never rode a horse. I wonder what the lateral stability, or kst value of a horse is anyways?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
CW Fab

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
Is riding an atv actually more dangerous than riding a horse? I doubt it, yet I've never read an article where someone was asking to ban horse back riding. I'm sure Christopher Reves family wishes he never rode a horse. I wonder what the lateral stability, or kst value of a horse is anyways?

The thing that I found interesting was that the manufactures got together and came to an agreement on the KST value and now some of them don't meet the value (although they claim that they pass their internal test). The stability hasn't improved tremendously over the years, however the power increases have been significant making them more dangerous than ever.
Even with a helmet many crashes that resulted in death would still be fatal. Darwinism at it's best.

Considering that when you ride a horse it is twice as tall and almost twice the weight it certainly is at a disadvantage. However they haven't got a whole lot faster since they've been invented and they have on-board stability programs built into them. Most of the time a good horse is smart enough to keep you out of trouble, heck it'll even get you home if you pass out on it's back. Good luck trying that on your quad! Laughing

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladders and bath tubs are next. We are not smart enough to look after ourselves. And stairs could go. Ive heard some scarry stuff about sex. Ive damn near broke my neck tripping over my dog.........
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the sex comment and the dog incedent were supose to be seperate. Shocked

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
FJ80Chick
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed all the youtube videos of sober(?) riders with no helmets going way too fast for the conditions and obviously NO IDEA how to ride their way out of danger - that really helped to make their point!! Also, not ONE person took responsibility for their own actions! Last time I checked, my showroom full of quads were COMPLETELY safe/stable....until someone swung their leg over one!!! That "human" factor seems to come into play rather quickly! And the guy who's front wheel "locked up", spitting him off.......time for some maintenance, buddy!!

Ride safe, ride sober, have fun!

2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 Touring
2009 Victory Vegas Low
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
I sure hope the sex comment and the dog incedent were supose to be seperate. Shocked

Dont judge.
CW Fab

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:

Shocked Laughing

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
Rainman
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: fgbdgfb Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:

There I go spitting coffee all over my screen again!! Laughing Laughing
Quote: That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:

They just like to watch, the sick puppies! Wink
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: fgbdgfb Reply with quote

Rainman wrote:
BTC95 wrote:

There I go spitting coffee all over my screen again!! Laughing Laughing

Rainman, You do that far to often. I sure hope you have a raincoat for that screen...or at least whiteout to cover up the coffee stains Laughing

As for rider safety and atvs, its just like with raised vehicles. The vehicles are safe until you throw an inexperienced, careless rider into the equation. It doesn't matter how slow, stable or safe you make anything. There will always be some idiot out there that can and will find a way to kill themselves on it. It's just human nature.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> BIKES,SLEDS,QUADS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: