Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project insane
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Project insane Reply with quote

Ok. So i started this project a few weeks ago. Posting pics is bit problematic for me on the forum, so i started this blog: http://maxigaz.blogspot.com/ .
I had a plan in mine mind how to do this, but of course there are already some problem i ran into. I think there are a few more experienced guy than me, so if you have any idea go ahead and share with me...

Last edited by maxigaz on Sun May 23, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks like a fun project!! i have wanted to build a later generation 4x4 at some point.. good luck!!!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why swap from the 4runner frame to the Tacoma frame?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I need a pickup...
So i am at the point now to do one of the biggest mod of this project:cut the body to built a 4 door cab.
Why not tacoma: first of all financial.a 4 door cab 1st gen tacoma is around 12-14 k,i got the frame for 800, the 4runner cost me about 2500. the other thing i don't like about the tacoma, that is still using the old interior like parking brake,leather seats are very rear, etc. and the rear seat room is sh*ty comparing to the 4runner (even the new tacoma has no leg room).
Overall would have been much easier project that's for sure.
Just a bit more info:i am going to move back to hungary in december and was thinking buying a hilux, but again just realized a i can't afford a new one.the older versions come with the 2.4 engine only.
Anyway i had been thinking a lot (about a year) what i need and how to get it and i ended up with this solution.
Back to the 4 door cab :i am planning to use the rear door to close it up, but looking for ideas and things to watch before i cut.

Last edited by maxigaz on Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like thinking outside the box. I like it.
BTW-Hungary, you luck dog. Ive been trying for years to pay a visit. Wife says we go south and I follow. Rolling Eyes
maxigaz

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the 4 door cab a lot. The aim is to have a up/down slide rear window like the 4runner, or Tundra.I came up with 3 solution.
1st:Originally i wanted to use the rear door and the rear section of the body. It is possible but the door has a difficult shape, it would take the room behind the rear seat (i wanted to use it for storage,maybe put the air system there) and it is heavy, probably i would have to use the rear attachment to the frame to support it.
2nd:Cut it straight. Close up with a sheet metal,reinforce the corners, cut a window, get some straight slides out of door windows and use Lexan or plexiglass to make a slide window. Would be operated by hand:). Light, simple, easy to do. Not as cool and not sure how could i make a nice round edge on the outside.
3rd: use a rear panel of a older toyota(or any kind) pickup.Window same way as in the 2nd point. This would be still light enough,would have nicer outside edge.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Finally! I figured out how to add pics. This one is already up on my blog, but actually the rear wall is almost in fully. I will make pics tomorrow.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good start!!!!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
benji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats gonna be cool, looks good
ZukiKev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it in extendatoy, and I'll say it here. I don't envy the amount of bodywork ahead of you, but I will be jealous of the outcome!
Nodge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! Cool
maxigaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i've got this far on saturday. The previous pic maybe was a bit misleading.It wont be really extended. It still gonna go up a few inches.That for sure it will be plenty of bodywork like the extend a toy...
Unfortunately i ran into some problem with my welder. i bought shield gas for this job, (i used flux core before) but it just does not want to weld. Sparking, does small explosion like things, leaving some beads but not penetrating into the material at all. A set everything as the manual says, but no luck.
[img][/img]
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxigaz wrote:

Unfortunately i ran into some problem with my welder. i bought shield gas for this job, (i used flux core before) but it just does not want to weld. Sparking, does small explosion like things, leaving some beads but not penetrating into the material at all. A set everything as the manual says, but no luck.

If you were using it for fluxcore it was likely set DC electrode negative, solid wire requires DC electrode positive. Did you switch the wires around inside of the machine?
What do you have for a machine, I can probably help you more if I know the details.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
maxigaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a cheap mastercraft. I changed the wire for no flux one. First i forgot to switch the polarity , so i hoped that's the problem. But it continued even when i switched it. My only guess is about two years ago i was welding with it and noticed the cover of the polarity changer is melted. I took it to a service and they fixed it (under warranty). Maybe they did not put the wires back right and technically i can not change polarity. I put back the flux wire last night and it is welding nicely i both position.
Thanks for the help. I am afraid i will ending up buying a lincoln. i just don't want to spend more money on tools right now.
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up a decent picture of the inside where the wire drive rolls are and I can tell you from that if it is set up right or not.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: