Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project insane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You work quick keep up the good work, theres a few of these kinda builds floating around the net, very cool idea.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Definitely, i want to drive it asap.

Now it seems the weakest point is right above the hub. Maybe i could weld something and attach it to the caliper bolts...
The middle section did not line up perfectly(there was about a 4mm gap),so it got hammered once i tagged both end where it was still touching the spindle. And i left the old bearing hopefully it helps to reduce distortion.

Left 4runner, right tacoma

and the stupid brake line
maxigaz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got the the front suspension installed. Too bad i haven't got the shocks yet. I would take it to a test drive.LOL.

I had some issues with the tundra axles.More info here:http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2024198&posted=1#post2024198

I got the 3rd adapter plate today for the dual t case today. if anybody has experience with inchworm please let me know. Probably i can figure it out, but want to save some time.
Today i tried on my rims as well but it is touching the brake calipers, so probably i will sell those and go with the toyota black still rims.I like those too.
ditrut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool project, can't wait to see some more of it.

'12 F-150
'10 LX570
'97 Tacoma
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!I am trying to post pics as much i can. I wish would have more time and make more pics.
Now i am working on the dual t case. Thanks for the tips FJ-Rankestein.

No worry, i will clean the housing.
Plus today i welded the limiting strap holder for the TC and one of the brake line holder.The tacoma does not have the nut welded there so i couldn't bolt it on.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed the modified oil pan and put the flywheel on.I was worried because it was a tight fit but as soon as i started to turn it slid up easily ( Of couarse i put some grease before). i wanted to do a test fit first to see if there is enough room to put the engine in (the flywheel is really thick).It went in easily so i decided not to pull out again. Now the problem was how could i stop the wheel turning until i tight the bolts. i ended up making this:

After this i wanted to install the pressure plate, but the kit did not come with the bolts...
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i ran a bit forward. Last night i had to mobilize the truck. i am tired of not being able to work on it because of rain, bad weather, so i modified the factory shocks and put wheels on.

I worked on the dual t case again. It turned out the treads on the plate were a bit damaged that's why i didn't know what bolts to use. Plus i figured out two bolts weren't in the kit,( stupid bolts).I got replacement from Canadian tire.
Of course i still have questions, but they never at the phone Rolling Eyes
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just donno who was that idiot who decided to put a dual t-case in this project?

I welded the crossmember what used to hold the fuel tank on the 4runner to hold the end of the t-case.
I left the front cross member where it was and will fabricate a steel plate between the two to hold the tranny and t-case. It will not only hold it but protect it too.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking great so far!! i love these kind of builds!!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well building the dual t-case was fun but the installation caused some head-ache. First I went with the 10 degree clocking just to see if there would be any room. Of course there wasn't. But it even looked i won't have room with zero degree, but it work out at the end. I hammered the body a bit just to make sure it won't touch it. The biggest problem is the channel for the t-case gets really narrow towards to the rear seat and not enough it was longer but the multi- mode is longer too.
I did not want to lift the body or do more cut outs.( Maybe i should because that would help positioning the gas tank.)
maxigaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad luck continues. I installed and wired up the generator and the starter but it did not crank the engine with the key. I hooked the starter straight to the battery and still nothing. Removed the starter and hooked up again to the battery. Only the cog jumped in and out but did not rolled. Took it to a shop. Cost me 385 to fix it. I was a but pissed. The engine (and the starter as well) seemed good shape. Clean. There is only a little oil dirt around the vacuum pump.
What else will come up? I bought a compression tester for diesels, so i will check the engine soon too.
redbull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money for a rebuild. What did they replace? I paid closer to $200 for my Mitsu's alternator rebuild.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't explain exactly. They fixed my 3.0 and 3.4 starter before and cost me around 180-ish.
Probably ripped me off at this time.
I could have open it first. I fixed my little 2.4 starter before:).
I just did a little investigation and turned out the shock are in Portal already, just can't picked them up yet because ordered more stuff. So soon the suspension gonna be in one piece.
I have hard time with the wiring i can't find an auto electrical guy in town.
Talked with a Toyota one but he said he can not work beside his job at his dealer.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the clutch line.

And installed the all pro 3" leaf springs.
Did i just talked about bad luck? I tried the bleistein shocks and they won't fit.
So tomorrow i'll call 4wd national.
the Dude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the updates coming. Builds like this and what rank is working on has got me motivated to dig out my truck from the pile of crap that has been collecting on top of it...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: