Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project insane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try. Somehow i am just not making that many pics nowadays.
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock problem solved. Just have to change the bushing.(it was in the kit but i thought it goes to the shackles top bolt.)
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i haven't posted for a while.I worked on the exhaust pipes and some minor stuff.
Meanwhile i was trying to figure out where are my shocks. They said early september it's gonna be shipped on the 12th. A week later called them again and they realized it was shipped at end of august and was delivered on the 31st.
Ok i just had to wait because i ordered a few more things.So last wednesday i went and pick up everything.Was happy... until got home. I opened the shocks( i actually opened them there but didn't take a closer look) and started to look for the coil over kit. It wasn't in the box. Called back to the pickup place, no there is no more for my name.Called sway away.They said there waere two package not one.( i didn't know it.) they sent tracking numbers both were delivered same day.Called the pick up place again: no, they can't find it. Finally some i managed to make myself understand(they couldn't understand my accent on the phone) and told them check for package sent by sway away ( don't look for my name) or sent to poly performance or blazen off road.So tonight i called back they found one sent by sway away to a Jerry(that;s the guy at blazen).Ok now at least we found it. i just don't know how i will get it here yet(i don't want to drive again for a small package.)

More pics soon...
maxigaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let see: in the last few weeks i worked on these things:
The exhaust system.
There are two pins holding the muffler. I had to grind off the weld and turn it pointing forward.In this case the arc in the pipe after the muffler located perfectly above the rear axle.The fanny thing is the pipe ends up between the frame and the leaf spring.(It wasn't issue on the 4runner). I might gonna extend it later to reach below the spring.I kinda screwed up thr pipe from the engine to the muffler. Positioned everything and welded it together.But when the t case mount arrived last week i realized the engine with the tranny was tilted back, so now, when everything in position the pipe does not fit. I thing its gonna be easy fix just have to do one cut.

T case mount: I used the u shape steel bar.It needs a bit more welding at the rear end.

Proportion valve: I was happy last week when this arrived as well.At least i can finish the brake lines. I got pissed quickly. It comes with two adapters. Connected them and tried to connect the brake lines.One went in but the other one didn't. I removed one of the adapter to try it connect with the pipe , but when i took it out i noticed the thread was damaged in the valve body by the adapter.WTF.The factory maybe packed with wrong ones.Long story short i made some phone calls, a bit of research on the net, and talked this morning with a garage owner (he helps me a lot with small things)and it turned out i need an metric adapter.Lesson learned...

Checked the fender interference with the long travel kit. In fully up position the tire just touching the fender. If it would be 1 inch higher it would work out perfectly. I did't wanted to lift the body but it would help with the gas tank problem too. ( Too bad i cut the body floor for that. Lesson learned...)

[img]
I just can't find a 1 " lift kit for it.[/img]
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics:

This is the long travel kit with the factory shocks. Maybe i should go with air spring. Would be cool when cruising in town. Laughing
Since the hood was black in colour and really scratched from the autowrecker, i decided to paint it with rock guard just like the rear fenders and the rear end of the cab.

Yes, it is a 05+ tacoma fenders. I found it accidentally here in Moose Jaw in a garage.( Brentz Garage) He built a tacoma and they sent the short bed ones instead of the long ones and did't take it back.

I got a chevy bed last week. My aim is to get a 1,5 m X 1,5m bed. I need room for my MTBs...
benji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work, looks like things are coming together
maxigaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah slowly...
The good thing is i am not moving in december so have a bit more time to finish it.
Oh yeah one more thing i call it the Hippo.It is long story why but one thing for sure it's gonna be ugly like a hippo. Laughing
maxigaz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the project slowed down for various reasons.
I sold my 90 4runner.I wanted to replace it with an FJ 40.But that black one in saskatoon was sold on the same night when i sold my truck. So needed something and this came up at SGI:
On the pic it is already fixed, going to inspection tomorrow.

The other problem is the cold. Just bought a bigger heater from princes auto and trying to install it.
However i did some work before the cold came in:

I cut the cleaned the chevy bed and it is waiting for welding.

I installed the diesel airfilter box too.(Could have use the v6 one but i already has two new filter for this one and i wanted to gain a little room for a coolant heater). Plus the silicone elbows arrived on monday.(of course there will be some clamps installed too.

It was a bit tight fit for the radiator. I had to grind off the head of the lower bolts of the radiator brackets and some from the brackets itself. Than it went through with some gently rubber hammer tapping...

Last edited by maxigaz on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the holidays i had time to look after one of the more complicated thing.
I bought a hydraulic winch about 2 years ago. LOL. So i went to Princesauto to figure out how could i connect it to the steering pump. To be able to measure how long pipes i need i had to start to fabricate the winch mount.

maxigaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooahhhh. Just Jizzzed:) again.
The diesel engine is running.
In January worked on the winch mount and hooked up the winch to the steering system. I did some piping for the coolant system as well because the gas radiator has the opposite side inlet/ outlet. Some 90 degree elbows and flexible house did the trick.
In the last three weeks i was working on the wiring. Overall it seems simple but could be confusing at certain areas. Plus i had the wrong wiring diagram (i did some write ups on toyotadiesel.com)
And last night it started up.
Pics and video later...
maxigaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxigaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, i got the parts for the shocks, so i was able to install them.

I bought a webasto heater. I just installed the pick up pipe to be able to install the gas tank.
I took the front half of the driveshaft to cut it shorter. Hopefully the truck will be drivable in 1 or 2 weeks.
There will be still lots of things to do , tho.
redbull

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the Espar from?
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. It is not a Webasto. It is an Espar. I bought it in Regina. I belive they called Western Cummings.
I actually found Webasto here in Moose Jaw, but the Espar seemed a bit more compact and a tiny bit smaller.
(In europe many passenger car have these. I am still surprised why so few using them here (semis doesn't count). Ok i know it is freaking expensive compare to the block heater but if if i compare it to the price of a new SUV or light truck it is not that much.)

I think i found them:
http://www.canpages.ca/page/SK/regina/cummins-western-canada/1700220.html
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://picasaweb.google.com/117567297240477702491/Mar7201104?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzOhM_AvoeXWQ#5581503893124604674
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: