Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Pope Cruiser" Build/Expedition thread......
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: "The Pope Cruiser" Build/Expedition thread...... Reply with quote

So I decided that I should start a build thread for the truck. This way I can keep track on the progress over the years of what I have done and what I will need/like to do. So here it goesÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

I decided that we needed a second vehicle so the hunt was on. After a lot of searching and discussion about what to get we decided on an FJ cruiser. One day, I was telling my brother in-law (Dave) about getting an FJ and he planted the seed of getting a Land Cruiser, specifically the HDJ81. After a lot of research and driving his RHD Prado for two weeks, we decided that it would be the truck for us. After a bit of searching I found the truck I wanted in Toronto. The guy was an importer and said that this is the first one that he had brought in. He sent me lots of pictures of the truck and it looked like it was in good shape but no lockers, which was not a deal breaker for me. There was also a lift that was already installed but we had no idea what it was.

Because I didnít know a lot about the truck, I got Dave to talk to the guy. After he talked to the seller, he thought it sounded like a good one. So I talked to the seller and asked if he could hold it for a week until I could get Dave there and he said ok. The next week I sent Dave to check out the truck and, if it was up to snuff, to drive it back. So he got there and it all checked out so he started the long drive back to Calgary. Once he was in Calgary, he dropped it off at Proactive Auto to get some maintenance work done. At Proactive Auto I got the BEBís done and they also did a complete look-over of the truck. They said that everything looked good but it needed some new brakes, so that was done. Then it was time to pick it up. I picked it up at the shop and drove it back to Lloydminster where I was getting a safety done. On the way home, I was just getting out of Calgary and the cops decided to pull me over. After they asked for my license they told me that people phoned in saying that someone was driving and reading the newspaper at the same time. My other brother in law came along for the ride and was the one reading the paper in the passenger seat. The cops had a good laugh and let us continue on our way.

Once back in Lloyd, I went through the hassle of getting a safety. There were some small holes in the exhaust, the front off-road lights needed covers even thought they were not hooked up, side reflectors need to be put on and a high end light needed to be installed. After all that, it was off to SGI to get plated. Once that was done, it was time to start enjoying the truck. (And we did just that!)

I didnít do a lot of upgrades right away. I installed a stereo that my brother had sitting around and also changed the batteries that were still original Japanese ones.
After that we took our first trip with the truck to the states. We went down to Glacier National Park, did the Going-to-the-Sun road, some hiking and had a great time. The truck ran flawlessly and that is when I really knew it was going to be a great truck for a long time.

After that trip I decided that it was time to get a front bumper. I decided earlier that I wanted an ARB and that is what I went with. I got one from 4 Wheel Auto in Edmonton for a really good price. So I sent my brother to pick it up and bring it back to Lloyd. I also decided that I would get a winch to put on with the bumper. I found a M12000 one here for a good price so I picked it up. The next time I went home, the bumper was there waiting for me. And it was great to finally get that damage multiplier off. Just after that I decided to get new a set of shoes. After much deliberation and getting a good deal, I went with Eagle Alloys and 315/75/16 Toyo tires.

After the bumper and Tires:

The truck stayed like this until last summer when we decided to do another long trip. I had bought some gauges to install into the truck so I did this before we left.
I had a boost, oil pressure and a pyrometer to install. The oil and boost were straightforward but I was a little hesitant about doing the pyrometer my self. So I went to talk to Jay. He showed me what to do and I was fairly confident that I could do it myself. The gauge install went well but I needed to figure out how to make a gauge cluster, and this is what I did. I bought some Plexiglas and some 2-inch ABS pipe and started to make a gauge cluster.

With some trial and error, I cut the pipe straight on one end and angled on the other. This way, the gauges would point up and towards me.

After that I just glued three pieces of pipe on to the Plexiglas, cut out the back and voila! A gauge cluster. I trimmed it up a bit so it would fit better, but you get the idea.

And this was installed:

We decided on a short trial trip first to see how the kids would do. We went to Canmore for a week and the kids and the truck did great. On this trip we noticed that the truck was loaded right to the top.

This was without the tent and sleeping gear and a playpen:

I didnít like this because I couldnít see out of my back window and didnít like the fact that, in the event of an accident, all the stuff would land on the kids. So during the trip we stopped for some grub and as we were leaving I was backing up and thought I was good but I wasnít. I hit a pole and bent the tire carrier and it was decided right there that we need a trailer. We enjoyed the rest of the trip. One of the highlights was where we stayed. We stayed at a campground called Spray Lakes. There is just something about staying on a lake in the mountains that I just canít put into words.

The camp view:

Once we got home it was time to get to work. These were the things that I needed to get done before we left. First I needed to find a trailer (I was looking for an M101), second the EGTís were higher than I wanted, so new exhaust was a must, third was a third battery to run the cooler. I got lucky and found an M101 right away. It was in Winnipeg. It looked good so I made a day trip (thatís right a day trip) and picked it up. Then the work started to get the trailer ready. I did an SUA on the trailer, paint and got a lid made and the trailer was ready to go.

Then it was on to the exhaust. My dad knows a guy that owns a shop and he said he could do 3Ē straight pipe for 500 so I jumped on that. He did a pretty good job but there is one spot that I wished he had tucked in better.

As for the third battery, I had no clue what to do. I know I didnít want to spend a lot on an isolator but didnít know how to do it without. I talk to Brad and he suggested that I just use a 200 amp solenoid and that should work. So I bought a solenoid and a switch to turn it on when the battery needed to be charged. The switch is tied into the ignition as a safety so that I canít drain my other batteries.

I got all of this done along with a few other things and we were ready for the long trip. We did a 6500 Km trip down to Olympic National Park and Mt. Rainer National Park in Washington. Everything went well but I found out that I had an AC leak; oh, and the tranny overheated twice. Nothing like a land cruiser to make sure you get home!!!!

A few trip picks:

During the trip I picked this up:

This brings us to the present day. I have to weld up my other lid for the trailer so that it is ready for the trip this summer. (The old one was made wrong, now Brad has it.) I have just received a front axle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters. I decided that while I am doing the front axle, I might as well upgrade the brakes, so I have the parts for that also. I found an OEM snorkel that needs to be put on. I also have a few other things that need to be addressed. I have to install the trans cooler that Brad gave me, need to remove the ACSD before it does any damage, fix a short in the pyrometer, change the belts, and replace some brass washers that are causing a little leak on an engine oil line. Just noticed that I have a cracked brake line so that needs to be changed too (thinking of going with sleeís stainless steel ones) and at the same time I found that my front diff breather was cracked and not attached at all so I am going to do the extended diff breather mod. The AC compressor needs a new gasket and hopefully that will solve the leak. Last but not least, I have a battery problem or a starter problem. The truck was sitting for about a month and it would not start. I charged the batteries and it still didnít want to start. I tapped on the starter and then it turned over. I took it for a good long drive but the next day it would not start again so I hooked up my third battery and it fired right up. After that, it has been in the garage waiting for parts. Once it is all back together Iíll address that.

The parts table:

New to me calipers and rotors for only 200 shipped to my door: What would be the best way to clean up the calipers so that I can paint them before I put them on?

Ready and waiting!

I am also looking for parts to retro fit the 3rd row seat into the back. With two kids and the third on the way, the extra seating would be nice.

I have a bit of work ahead of me but I am looking forward to getting to know the truck and having it back on the road.

So from now on I will post on the progress and it wonít be so long.

Cheers

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first i thought your buildup thread said the Pope Crusher.. Laughing

looks awesome!! glad to see the progress..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the truck and the trailer. I could definitly see myself with a set up like this down the road for the wife and I once we start having kids.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
benji

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, keep the pics coming, I've seen this thing in real life it is MINT.

As for them calipers unless you wanna go crazy and rip them apart and sand blast them I just used a 5" wire wheel on my grinder cleaned and much as I could and hit them with some etch primer and gun metal paint for rims. In my opinion they are gonna get ugly after awhile anyways so just do the best you can without spending too much time. this is the best picture I could find
the Dude

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE IT.

I should have started with a 81.... Oh well. Next truck I guess!

Bring all your parts over and you can blast them in the blast cabinet and then give them a quick shot of high heat paint. Your rotors will have to be turned if they can be saved.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ostacruiser

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!

Last edited by ostacruiser on Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea of the creeper breather. After I saw this ( http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/341422-axle-breather-creeper-breather.htm ) It seems that is not the best thing for a DD more for if you roll so oil doesn't spill, lets hope that doesn't happen.

Cheers

92HDJ81

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am figuring out what oils I need to get for the front axle and just wanted to make sure I have it somewhat right.

Both front and rear diffs: Amsoil 75W-90 Long Life synthetic gear oil or would Amsoil synthetic 80W-90 gear oil be better. Would it be a good idea to run a cheeper brand for a while to better clean out the axle before I use a synthetic, just a thought?

I was also wondering if Amsoil synthetic HD grease NLGI #2 would work for both the bearing and the knuckles or should I go with Mobil 1 synthetic grease (I think this is what Brad and Jay recommended) for the bearings and Amsoil synthetic HD grease NLGI #2 for the birfs and knuckles?

The reason I am picking Amsoil is that my brother said he can get it for almost cost, but if anyone has other recommendations that would also be great in case he doesn't come through.

I also need to find a Bosch or Denso IP block off plate and O-ring, and some 1/4" rubber fuel line to extend the diff breathers.

I feel like such a dumb$#% but whatever I might as well ask the Pro's !!!Rolling Eyes

ostacruiser

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.C. good to know, they are run factory on my quad(smaller versions, same principal) and it's not a competion rig....lol, wasn't sure if it carried over to vehicles
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/341422-axle-breather-creeper-breather.html
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a got start on the axle rebuild today. After running around trying to find a 54mm socket and not finding one I borrowed one. (Thanks Brad) Then the disassembling started. The first side took me about 2 hours, it was slow because I was taking pictures of all the steps so I would have something to reference and I was also cleaning some parts as I went. For the second side it only took me 40 minutes to disassemble. I am assuming that the axle was either rebuilt or maybe some repacked the bearings because there was a missing cone washer.

The oil really bad in the diff:

The stubborn cone washers (actually they were easy just 3 hits with the hammer)

The mess:

Nice and clean:

The old rotors/New rotors:

Birfís look good.

To be continued............

92HDJ81

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this today:
Before

After

Looks like they used to have paint on them where the rust was, would there be any point repainting them? And with what. (POR15)

Cheers

92HDJ81

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I removed the ACSD, which was a pain. Of course the last and hardest bolt had to strip, o well its done.

The mysterious ACSD device.

Stripped bolt:

Finished:

Also blasted some parts while I was drinking a totally Awesome mocha ice cap. Cool

Primed my balls...

Thanks goes out to Brad for letting me use his blast booth. Parts came out great and it saved me a lot of time Mr. Green

the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a good mocha Very Happy

nice balls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, between the b-days, BBQ's, Kids soccer I have not had much time but as of right now I am waiting on my rotors and break pads so I can put the front axel back together. I could put the snorkel on but I need to build up my nerves some more to cut the fender..... Rolling Eyes , plus I don't really know how to do it.(fender on/off, or what all the piece are for) I did install new batteries and the truck fired up no problem, It was nice to here it running again. The diff breather is fixed and relocated, just need to pick up a brass-t to finish that and pick up an AC compressor o-ring and it should be good to go. Then I need to find a welder so I can start work on the trailer.... Rolling Eyes So I am hoping that I will get my parts this week and then I should be able to get at it this weekend.

O and this reminds me could I pick up a cone washer tonight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: