Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

garage upgrades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: garage upgrades Reply with quote

so, in typical late fashion i might be doing some major upgrades to the garage this winter.. i am tired of having to rely on construction heaters to heat my garage over the winter and it is crazy expensive to do so anyways.. i figure that being in the garage is my first and biggest hobby so why am i not doing what i can to get the most out of it??

anyways, the plan is to get the gas line moved here in the next month if it isnt toooooo crazy expensive.. the problem is that we want to put doors through from the dining room to an eventual deck out back and the gas meter is exactly in the way of this happening so it must get moved.. sinse it is getting moved we are going to get the meter put against the garage .. and while we are at it i am going to see if i cant get a line plumbed into the garage so i can hopefully get a radiant heater put in by next month mabey.. as well, sinse they are assembling the lines we are going to get them to tee in a valve at the house as well so i can eventually have a gas bbq.. we are going to keep a bay open in the garage so Lori can park her car in the garage over the winter and i can work on extend-a-toy in comfort.. i am getting pretty excited for this.. more so if it will work out.. my appointment for the gas stuff is in a week and then work would start within two weeks after that.. surprisingly they said that as busy as they are the waiting times arent too crazy at this point.. i will see when the actual appointment will be.. i am sceptical..

so those with radiant heaters in their garage, can you tell me anything needed or pros or cons?? was it the est thing ever or is there something different you would do??
the ony thing i was thinking aboot was to put some sort of recirculating fan in to help spread the heat.. other than that..???

my first quote was 1500 bucks for a 45000 btu heater.. i need some opinions here as well.. that kind of looks like the going price at the moment...

here is what i am looking at..

http://www.superiorradiant.com/

http://www.superiorradiant.com/Products/ResidentialGarageHeaters.aspx

http://www.superiorradiant.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=uLYRUTtPyiE%3d&tabid=77

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
the Dude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That radiant heater you sent me was the same one I got. I really like it. You might have issues with your lower roof? Make sure and ask the gas guys about it, I know they made my brother move his with 10ft walls.

The key with these heaters is you need to leave them on to keep everything warm. The warm the mass, not the air. The more junk you have in there way the better. That shouldn't be a problem at your place, however.... Razz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that hurts me.. Embarassed he he..

i have been cleaning my junk like a mad man.. i actually have bare spots on my shelves right now!!! and it will get better...

92HDJ81

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your price seam reasonable. Mine is running around 3 grand for a 65000 btu heater.

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92HDJ81 wrote:
Your price seam reasonable. Mine is running around 3 grand for a 65000 btu heater.

where and what are you getting??? isnt your garage the same size as Brads??

Big Red

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got a low ceiling i'd go forced air instead. I was planning on radiant heat for my garage when i did it but i only have 8ft ceiling so i just went with forced air just in case i needed the room. One thing too i remember years ago i worked for a company and we switched to radiant heat and it rocked but the big thing that sucked was if you opened the doors lots it would take forever to warm up the shop again. Wink
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do only have 8 feet cielings but am planing on building a pony wall next year so i can raise it to 10 foot walls.. i dont want to sell myself short now so i would have to redo it again in the future... other than stepping on a nail and then falling down in a pit of snakes, this is my other fear.. Shocked

rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced air works awesome in a smaller space (low ceiling) Also lets you keep the temp low when you arent working in the space (about 5 celcius) but the air movement keeps the mildew out of the corners.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you go radiant over forced air? Is it more cost effective to run?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
Big Red

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiant is cheaper to run.
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Radiant is cheaper to run.

I think it depends on how you are using it. If you plan to keep it at a set temp all the time then radiant would be cheaper, but if you plan on keeping it just above freezing and turn it up when you are working in the shop then forced air is the better way to go IMHO.

Cheer

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a mr heater 45,000btu unit heater from the coop. Picked it up on sale for $500

I was thinking of going ratiant but they units need to be mounted a certain distance from walls and the ceiling and your vehicle cannot be closer than 3' or something. With my tall trucks i would have been hooped.

I like my corner unit because as someone said, i can just turn it on when i need it. It only takes about 15 minutes to get my garage up to a reasonable temp to start working and as i warm up i just shed layers and it was a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and install than radient.

Also, with the radiant heat it heats everything up and not the air, so when the doors are opened you actually loose less heat because everything in the room is warm and only the air needs to be heated up again Whereas with the forced air you heat the air and the rest of the room heats up through the air so when you open the doors you loose most of your heat with the air that is escaping.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need the dude to chime in here to talk aboot his experiences with his radiant...

Nodge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on putting in a forced air in my 26 x 24' garage this fall.
I was considering putting in a radiant heater in the single attached garage, but I don't think I have enough room.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently my ceilings are too low for radiant until i lift the garage so i will be buyng a forced air unit for the corner of the garage.. i will keep it for a year or two and then move to radiant when the garage gets done..

now to see who has a good forced air unit..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: