Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

garage upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.princessauto.com/seasonal/shop-heaters/unit-heaters/8065799-45000-btu-natural-gas-shop-heater

i just called co-op to confirm but they do sell the same 45000 unit and it will go on sale next month for 497 bucks..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
ostacruiser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be happy with that forced air unit. Nothing beats a heated garage!!!!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, not too bad so far.. the sask energy guys came and gave me a quote for moving the meter.. it is going from being on the house to now in the alley behind the garage.. it is far enough away from the big garage door as well so when it comes time to lift the garage and put a bigger back door on i still have plenty of room to do so as well..

its funny how their pricing system works.... they have a summer time and winter time rate depending on if there is frost in the ground and then there is a rate depending on how far you need to go with the line..

it basically goes like this...
367 dollars tax in to be 5 meters and under
7XX dollars tax in to be 5 meters to 20 meters

all rates double as a starting point as soon as the winter rates kick in and can be more than that depending on conditions..
as well, the rate goes up lots when they have power wire, poles, cement slabs or anything they have to work through or go around to get the line in the ground.

i ended up getting the cheapest rate because they are essentially just disconnecting it at the alley, trenching it to the back of the garage still in my alley and nothing is in the waY... Very Happy
the only thing that is my responsibility is that i have to screw a 2x8 or 2x10 plate to the side of the garage so they have a place to mount the meter bracket.. this is easy..

with the old line i hear that sometimes they leave it in the ground but what they are doing is they are going to disconnect it from the house and from the hole in the back alley, they will attatch the old line to their backhoe and pull it through the ground till its completely removed.. this way the ground will look completely untouched and you will never know that 70 feet of gas line going to the house from the alley was ever there.

tomorrow morning i have a guy from razor a/c and heating coming out to give me a quote to go from the meter to the garage and then to the house putting a tee into the garage for a heater and then a tee at the house for a bbq... this was a ballpark figure that was quoted to me as being between 900-1500 bucks.. i am expecting a bit more but we will see..

from here i get a quote to plumb a gas line to the heater in the garage..
i got a good quote for a Modine brand forced air unit from someone here in town so i will probably go with that.. we will see..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the highlight of this video is at 1:45 of this video.. Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtq7Nu2hHCw&feature=related

and just some related info

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heater.shtml

http://www.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modine/modineMarketsDefault/modine_com/markets/building_HVAC/market_level_3_content_013.htm

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if anyone cares or not but i will keep posting on my progress just so anyone else that is interested in moving their gas line will kind of know the costs involved.. i know this has been quite a learning process for me so i am happy to relay my experiences..

so today i got my quote to do the gas line from the meter to the house.. the plan of attack is this..

the gas meters future home will be at the back of the garage. directly off the gas meter there is going to be a tee and off that tee will be a shut off valve and cap for the garage heater future install.. this is all reduced down to 3/4 line.. my new modine heater unit only needs a 1/2 line into it so the 3/4 is more than enough to carry the supply needed to the heater..
after the tee, we go around the corner of the garage and the poly line makes a straight shot directly to the house.. at the house we are going to do another tee with a shutoff valve and cap for a future bbq.. the line then goes into the house to the normal hookups.. the costs for this is going to be around 1500 dollars.. expensive but between 3 quotes now there are all in the same ballpark..

we will hopefully be plumbing in and installing the heater within a few weeks..

CW Fab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
im not sure if anyone cares or not but i will keep posting on my progress just so anyone else that is interested in moving their gas line will kind of know the costs involved.. i know this has been quite a learning process for me so i am happy to relay my experiences..

I hope to someday get some gas plumbed into my garage so I'm watching with interest.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my modine hot dog 60 showed up in my garage today!!! i have no idea how to hook it up or anything but its here!! Laughing

thanks Paddles for bringing it to my house.. i really appreciate it..

it looks well built, has a big 14 inch fan on the back and looks like it will throw some heat.. i did indeed buy the hd60 over the 45.. it might be a little overkill but the forced air heater is not going to have to struggle to get the garage warm and when i want it warmer it will get to whatever temp i want with very little effort..

i have been on several forums and just looking at random google threads and its amazing how many threads are out there on forced air vs. radiant.. both have their advantages and disadvantages thats for sure but what is going to work with what i have is definitelly the forced air.. i have low ceilings so unless i want to burn the top of my head in the garage the radiant is on hold.. i have seen some garages online where guys are doing both radiant and forced air.. basically using the radiant when they are doing painting and woodworking stuff or just keeping a heated garage and then forced air when doing things that dont require a dust free area..

the one disadvantage is that this forced air stuff is a little more expensive but really its still coming down to how well your garage is insulated that either makes it or breaks it economy wise.. there are guys who say that they have used both and there is very little difference in costs.. at any rate, its going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than running the two construction heaters like i did all winter last year.. that was very expensive..

i will be blowing in insulation in the next few weeks here as well.. i am going with the cellolous blow in stuff and renting the machine from the home depot.. when you buy 20 bags of insulation and over you get the machine rental free.... guys still are reporting really good things about it over most other insulation... i am looking at around 700 dollars to blow it in.. that will cover 14 inches deep and aproximatelly 900 square feet at an insulating value of r40.. the "g-unit" is going to be very nice to work in this winter.. Cool

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up the ditch witch trencher. its definitelly a bit bigger than i thought it would be.. it is self propelled so it wont be to bad.. thats going to be the afternoon job today.. i will post some pics of before and after stuff in the yard..

trencher rental is 150 plus tax and fees for 4 hours and 200 plus tax and fees for the day.. the advantage of renting on a saturday is that i get sunday for free so i got it for the day.. i probably will only need it for a few hours but whatever.. i dont feel like chasing around any more today.. i will return it monday morning..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today was a good day in the yard.. its fall cleanup time as well so Lori trimmed half the trees down to a normal size and did all that other yard worky stuff..
we spent a lot of time cleaning up some areas that i have been neglecting sinse i have moved here as well so it was a very good day overall..

i brought home the trencher today and got all that stuff done.. what a heavy mofo of a machine.. i got it stuff badly when one of the wheels fell in the trench i made and it didnt make me a happy fellow.. 20 minutes later i got it out though Rolling Eyes

i paid for the full day for the rental but if you have the route already planned out and you know where you are going to trench than only rent it for 4 hours and save the 50 bucks.. i didnt know which day i was going to do my trenching so i rented it for a full day and got sunday for free..
the trenching part itself was pretty easy.. it probably would have only took 45 minutes or so to go from where the meter is in the back ally to the house if i didnt get stuck by my gate.. i have to do a little hand shovelling in that area tomorrow..
here are the pics as usual..

the board i had to mount on the back of the garage for the new meter.. this is the only responsibility the house owner has when getting your meter moved is putting up a backing board for the new meter mount.. the measurement has to be one meter away from any electrical outlet, 44 inches to the top of the board from grade level and a 2x10 or 2x8 if a 2x10 wont fit or cant be installed and 18-24 inches long..

the all mightly ditch bitch

me having a good time.. i was amazed how well this machine works!!

the trench from the house so far.. i am putting the new line beside the marked old line that is getting removed.. Remember, dial before you dig!!

92HDJ81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I am getting mine done in a few weeks but I am just digging it by hand Rolling Eyes. Like you I am excited to have heat in the garage this winter.

Cheers

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92HDJ81 wrote:
Looks good. I am getting mine done in a few weeks but I am just digging it by hand Rolling Eyes. Like you I am excited to have heat in the garage this winter.

Cheers

i actually spent an hour starting to dig by hand and then realized that my body is too fucked up to keep doing this so i started using the trencher.. our area has a lot of clay and rock so it gets tough shoveling about 8 inches down... minimum depth for gas line is 15 inches but they like to see it at around 20..

gatordave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few tips on blowing insulation into your attic, I've done it a few times!! Make sure you get cardboard insulation stops to keep it from blowing into your soffit. Also go around with a piece of wood the same height as what you want your insulation to be and spray paint the trusses all over your attic so you can reference them once you start blowing. Make sure you have all the wiring done before you blow any insulation because you don't want to be up in that stuff once its done. Build a rectangle out of plywood the same size as your attic door the height of the insulation. Pick up at least 10 more bundles than what you think you need because once your almost done and its 1 am and your running out of insulation, home depot is closed and you don't feel like going back up there again!! And they will return it so it isn't going to cost you more money.. Have at least 2 buddies to be cutting open the bundles and feeding the machine. oh yeah, and have fun!! DAVE
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!! thanks Dave!! all the help and hints i can get is much appreciated!! i am actually getting the wiring hopefully sorted next week and some new lighting within the next few months so digging through blown in insulation is the last thing i want to end up doing..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been a looooong day.. both the girlfriend and myself are fighting a headcold and a stomach flu today so things havent been to pleasant around here..

the good thing is that i am pretty much done everything.. i will have some progress pics in a few days.. i gotta sleep off my dumb headache..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so pretty much everything is done regarding the re-routing of the gas line..
its amazing how the costs work out for this thing.. sask energy came and brought a welder, a backhoe and operator and did a ton of work..after they were done, a big dump truck came and filled the hole with over 10 yards of fresh gravel and i got to keep what came out of the alley to build up my back yard... that only came out to 367 bucks..
the two contractors came and laid a poly pipe into the ground, (which i trenched..) hooked up the new gas connection and made a few special length black pipes to reroute my gas line coming into my house and that cost was 1500 bucks..
I need to be a contractor.. those sask energy guys work for peanuts!!

everything went pretty good.. there was a riser pipe against the house that had a faulty union when they pressure tested it... the whole new line was supposed to hold 15 psi for 15 minutes and it dropped to 6 pounds before discovering the leak.. they got the leak fixed with a brand new part and everything was good..

oh yeah.. i ended up having to dig the trench underneith the electrical line coming off the garage because there wasnt enough clearance between grade level and the top the the electrical line.. i had to dig almost 24 inches down to be able to properly clear.. the electrical measure out at 15 inches below grade than there had to be a piece of pressure treated wood placed between the electrical line and the gas line.. it had to be a think at least a 2x6 and a couple feet long. there also had to be 6 inch minimum between the electrical and gas line..

i also ended up discovering an old cement piling in the back corner of the yard when i was trenching.. it was about a foot and a half below grade and was about 2 feet across.. it shows how much the foundation was built up over the last 60 years.. (a few years ago when i was removing the cement out of the front of my property i ended up finding a side walk under my old sidewalk about 8 inches down...)

anyways, here are a few pics..

the new hole for the gas line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: