Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

garage upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tires

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatordave wrote:
A few tips on blowing insulation into your attic, I've done it a few times!! Make sure you get cardboard insulation stops to keep it from blowing into your soffit. Also go around with a piece of wood the same height as what you want your insulation to be and spray paint the trusses all over your attic so you can reference them once you start blowing. Make sure you have all the wiring done before you blow any insulation because you don't want to be up in that stuff once its done. Build a rectangle out of plywood the same size as your attic door the height of the insulation. Pick up at least 10 more bundles than what you think you need because once your almost done and its 1 am and your running out of insulation, home depot is closed and you don't feel like going back up there again!! And they will return it so it isn't going to cost you more money.. Have at least 2 buddies to be cutting open the bundles and feeding the machine. oh yeah, and have fun!! DAVE

Never thought to tell anyone here, I own/operate an insulation company here in Saskatoon, I can give you a good quote on blow-in if you're interested in comparing DIY vs Proffessional. Just need to know square footage and the desired R-Value.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be interested in a quote.. pm sent.

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, about 1000 bucks later and i will have enough light to operate a tanning booth in my garage.. Laughing

sinse i was up in the attic of my garage i decided to open up the attic entrance quite a bit wider and cleaned up some of the "workmanship" from the peaople who built this garage.. i also rewired the lighting so i can have a front set of lights, a main shop set of lights and a third circuit of power and lights that were actually the old lights for future upgrade as needed.. i am just taking off the fixtures and putting covers over the junction boxes.. i found adapters for 4 inch junction boxes that can turn them into plug ins so i will throw a few of those up in the ceiling..

i figure, sinse i will be insulating my roof i should be getting this done while i have the chance to work up there while there is no insulation..

i ended buying my first 10 fixtures from Richardson lighting here in town for 47 dollars a piece.. the bulbs were 2.25 a piece..
the fixtures were cooper lighting brand name and the design is an 8 foot fixture with four four foot t8 bulbs in each.. these were their last 10 in stock and they were supposed to be getting me more this week but now tell me that they havent even made the order and the fixtures wont even be here for two weeks minimum.. i said frakem, and i dont want to wait that long to finish my garage lighting so...

i am picking up the remaining 4 eight footers tomorrow along with 3 four footers from Wesco here in town... they are actually easier to deal with than Richardson lighting and a little better pricing yet.. they are an industrial warehouse type place without the "showroom" aspect so i find those people easier to deal with..
the eight foot fixtures are 2 dollars more each at 49 dollars but the 4 foot fixtures are actually 11 dollars cheaper each at 34 dollars each.. the t8 spx50 5000K bulbs are cheaper as well from Wesco at 1.95 each..

check this link out..

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76550

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and the furnace is confirmed to be installed this friday morning so i am excited for that.. i am just stressed that i still have a ways to go before the garage is ready to have the furnace installed..

anyone know what code is regarding powering a forced air heater?? i wanted to make it a plug in unit but the installer sid that it had to be hardwired into a on/off switch on my ceiling... I dunno?? it would be much easier to just install a plug in on the roof.. i will see..

littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
oh yeah, and the furnace is confirmed to be installed this friday morning so i am excited for that.. i am just stressed that i still have a ways to go before the garage is ready to have the furnace installed..

anyone know what code is regarding powering a forced air heater?? i wanted to make it a plug in unit but the installer sid that it had to be hardwired into a on/off switch on my ceiling... I dunno?? it would be much easier to just install a plug in on the roof.. i will see..

When I installed mine the electrical inspector told me that the furncace has to be on its own circuit, it has to be hard wired in and you have to have a switch somewhere to turn it off in case of an emergency. (Just like your furnace in your house).

I located my switch high up beside my man door so that i could reach in and turn it off.

As for lighting, are you going with 10-8' sections or did i read that wrong? That would be 40 4' bulbs? Thats way overkill.

I went with 10-4' dual bulb T8's which is 20- bulbs and it is blinding!!!

I also did skylights and absolutely love them in the summer...in the winter they get covered in snow.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline

Last edited by littlerunner on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think thats overkill at all.. i have a low garage ceiling and tall trucks so a lot of the light in my garage actually gets blocked from tall vehicles sitting under them..
my garage is also 32 feet long and i have most of my lighting running the 32 feet lengthwise.. thats a lot of area to cover without having any darkspots in the garage.. oh yeah, i also have no windows to let any kind of natural light in.
actually Brads garage was kind of the insperation for this as well.. i really enjoy being in his garage.. it is very bright and can see anything i want to look at in great detail.. this is the way a garage should be..

BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought Rory's garage was kind of dark and creepy now that you mention it.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
y2k-onyx-ss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
I've always thought Rory's garage was kind of dark and creepy now that you mention it.

I would have to agree. He always has candy stashed in there too...

think asks the little kids if they want to come see his big blue 4x4, if that doesn't work he offers candy.... creepy old man!

But on a side note Rorys garage has good lighting.
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:

As for lighting, are you going with 10-8' sections or did i read that wrong? That would be 40 4' bulbs? Thats way overkill.

I went with 10-4' dual bulb T8's which is 20- bulbs and it is blinding!!!

I also did skylights and absolutely love them in the summer...in the winter they get covered in snow.

I have the same 10 8' sections and 4 4' sections.... it's just enough.

I looked for pictures of your skylights but couldn't find any. I would consider retrofitting in a few of these as I miss the natural light.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I need to get some completed pictures of the garage now that it is all painted up. all that is really left is a few trim pieces around the skylights.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i am working on about 3 hours of sleep at the moment.. the guys are here right now and doing my heater install..
i was up till 5am taking stuff out of my cabinets and pulling all my cabinets down so the heater has a place to go in the corner of the garage.. i then painted the roof and the corner walls so at least everything is white to begin with.. in 4 hours it should be done.. i cant wait.. i can then hang all of the front half of my lights..

yikes, am i tired.. i cant do this "3 hours of sleep" thing too well any more..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the lights are all up.. the first bunch of lights that i bought were sylvanias and they are excellent.. they throw a very clear bright light and really bring out the true colours in my garage.. when i ended up buying the rest of my light fixtures at wesco because the dipshits at richardson lighting are to effin slow to bring in more i also bought the remainder of my lights through them.. they were philips brand.. they had the same specs as the sylvanias and the saleman assured me that they would be the same, i got home plugged a few in and they were actually quite different.. the light almost had a redish purple'ish tinge to them comparing them side by side.. so back they went and i ended up buying some more from richardson.. (and they still dont have the light fixtures that i originally ordered back in stock yet.. Rolling Eyes )

so, the result??? as Brad and i were talking one day, i do agree that i should have done this years ago.. WOW!! what a difference.. i dont regret putting in this many lights for a second.. the garage is super well lit, very very few shadows and the light even extends under a lot of both trucks in the garage..
in total i have 14 8 foot fixtures and then 3 4 foot fixtures right across the shop going over where i would normally have a hood open on a vehicle..
definitelly the best garage mod so far...

here is a quick paint image of what is going on in my garage..and no its not quite to scale but it gives you an idea..

the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks spanky!

I found this that a guy did off of the garage journal for me using the light specs I gave him. It was the basis for my layout.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, it was probably the bulbs and not the fixtures that were giving you the different lighting...unless you were using the same bulbs...then not sure what it could have been.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:
JP, it was probably the bulbs and not the fixtures that were giving you the different lighting...unless you were using the same bulbs...then not sure what it could have been.

umm.. it was the lights and not the fixtures that were giving me two colour lights.. i thought i said that in my post.. i will reread...

yup.. this is what i wrote..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: