Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New truck!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tires



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 329
Location: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: New truck! Reply with quote

Lease expired on my F150, so after a lot of soul searching I decided to tade up for a lightly used F250.

2008 Ford F250, Supercab, 4x4, XLT, 6.4L Diesel. Came with heated seats (<3), built in trailer brake controller and upfitter switches. 37,000kms.

Really like it so far. No shortage of power. Fuel economy isn't great obviously. It's got a few months of warranty left, then I'll be getting on taking off all the emissions crap that destroy these engines!

Pics!











Quite a breeze pulling the big trailer now, like night and day over my F150. That being said I loved my F150 and was very close to keeping it, but I just needed something bigger, and this truck with the low KM, warranty and the power was an easy choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CW Fab



Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 266
Location: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking truck, looks well kept too.
_________________
Clay W



Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tires



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 329
Location: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes it was very gentle used for those 37,000km's. I've only found 2 small scratches in the paint and thats it. Interior is as clean as new.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
littlerunner
Financial contributor


Joined: 07 Dec 2003
Posts: 2441
Location: Regina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the club!!!!
Secondly warranty on the drivetrain is 160,000kms so if you are waiting until the warranty is up to remove the emissions stuff than you better buy yourself at car and park the truck.

Mine has been tuned since 75,000kms and has had tons of warranty work done after tuning. I removed the emissions crap at 90,000 and still there has been no issues returning it to stock and having warranty work done.

You will get 15mpg on the highway you will get 11 mpg in the city stock. Once you tune it and remove the emissions crap you will get a consistent 19mpg on the highway but to get that you need 37's and an air intake or a drop in filter. If you want a good drop in filter go afe but run it with the top off the airbox...honest to god it feels like a totally different truck with the top off the box. The tranny is good for 500hp at the wheels, exceed this and you risk breaking stuff.

You will love the truck after its tuned as you will spend less time in the shop once the emissions crap is gone.
_________________
91 SAS 4Runner BRIGHT BLUE
3" Body, 9" suspension lift
1 tons chevy axles
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fj-rankenstein
moderator


Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 4209

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love that truck!!! hate that engine... thats got to be the worst engine ford has come out with yet.. injectors, turbos, electrical stuff, check engine lights, another turbo, headgasket, etc etc etc..

on the plus side it is nice how much performance you can get out of these though....
_________________
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlerunner
Financial contributor


Joined: 07 Dec 2003
Posts: 2441
Location: Regina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
love that truck!!! hate that engine... thats got to be the worst engine ford has come out with yet.. injectors, turbos, electrical stuff, check engine lights, another turbo, headgasket, etc etc etc..

on the plus side it is nice how much performance you can get out of these though....


No no no no no!!!! The worst engine made was the 6.0. Go to the forums, that motor was plagued. This engine has not been problem free, but all the emissions crap is what causes the problems. Chris has 280,000 on his 6.4 and still going strong.
_________________
91 SAS 4Runner BRIGHT BLUE
3" Body, 9" suspension lift
1 tons chevy axles
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
y2k-onyx-ss



Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 156
Location: Regina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a nice looking truck.
Seems like parts are starting to get affordable as people are getting 2011s with the 6.7 and putting the 6.4s back to stock so keep an eye out on the used market for after market parts if your wanting some.

ya do yourself a favour and get the DPF off that truck so it doesnt have to regen all the time.

Mine is running good still. We will see how it likes the 525 tune!

Rory i think this tune is better than my SCT Extreme tune. its showing 15 l/100KM on the lie - o -meter. the SCT showed 17/l 100km.

have to run a full tank with this tune and hand calc it to find out exactly what im really getting for MPG

but it does sound more like a noisy diesel with this tune.
_________________
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty - 8" Fabtech with 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers
2000 Camaro SS - Turbocharged.
1983 Toyota Pickup (The Dump Truck) lots of lift with 38's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
varty yo



Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 489
Location: city that rhymes with fun!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats called timing rattle!!!! its the best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlerunner
Financial contributor


Joined: 07 Dec 2003
Posts: 2441
Location: Regina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrr, I want my 525 tune you bugger!!!
_________________
91 SAS 4Runner BRIGHT BLUE
3" Body, 9" suspension lift
1 tons chevy axles
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
varty yo



Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 489
Location: city that rhymes with fun!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a spartan you cheap bugger!!! lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tires



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 329
Location: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:
First off, welcome to the club!!!!
Secondly warranty on the drivetrain is 160,000kms so if you are waiting until the warranty is up to remove the emissions stuff than you better buy yourself at car and park the truck.

Mine has been tuned since 75,000kms and has had tons of warranty work done after tuning. I removed the emissions crap at 90,000 and still there has been no issues returning it to stock and having warranty work done.

You will get 15mpg on the highway you will get 11 mpg in the city stock. Once you tune it and remove the emissions crap you will get a consistent 19mpg on the highway but to get that you need 37's and an air intake or a drop in filter. If you want a good drop in filter go afe but run it with the top off the airbox...honest to god it feels like a totally different truck with the top off the box. The tranny is good for 500hp at the wheels, exceed this and you risk breaking stuff.

You will love the truck after its tuned as you will spend less time in the shop once the emissions crap is gone.


Truck is an 08 and was originally purchased in 07, I'm told the warranty is up in April.

It's amazing the overwhelming concensus about the emissions crap. I'm looking forward to taking that stuff off. I'd like to get rid of the DPF and the EGR. I've been learning a lot about these trucks since I purchased it, there is a really good video of a tear down of a 6.4L that was really informative about what and what not to do...

Yes, FJ, I'm thinking that you're thinking of the 6.0L's. They were plagued with the problems you're talking about. It's all about the emissions shit on these trucks. The video I mentioned goes through why and how the renegeration process tears theses engines up due to extreme heat.

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxXmiz6dvQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colinmacdon



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Regina, SK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:
fj-rankenstein wrote:
love that truck!!! hate that engine... thats got to be the worst engine ford has come out with yet.. injectors, turbos, electrical stuff, check engine lights, another turbo, headgasket, etc etc etc..

on the plus side it is nice how much performance you can get out of these though....


No no no no no!!!! The worst engine made was the 6.0. Go to the forums, that motor was plagued. This engine has not been problem free, but all the emissions crap is what causes the problems. Chris has 280,000 on his 6.4 and still going strong.


I concur with littlerunner. I recently picked up an '07 with the 6.0, I pulled the oasis report and sure enough head gaskets done at 90,000 KM (truck currently has (108K). Brutal....surprisingly, little else done under warranty (body moulding, and cooling fan).....oh well it has warranty for a while. I don't know if there would be a diesel I would want to own without warranty--except may a duramax Smile.
_________________
'07 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fj-rankenstein
moderator


Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 4209

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drove a service truck with a 6.4 from brand new and lost 2 turbos in 50k and the 3rd was lost at around 70... in that time there were injector problems twice, electrical issues with the engine and check engine lights..
ford loves the check engine lights though and i think builds most of their vehicles with a planned check engine light to come on at least every 25k kilometers.. Laughing

if it was just my service truck that had the issues then i would say i just got one of those "one out of every 17 ford diesels is a lemon kind of truck" but it was all of our service trucks with 6 litres and especially 6.4s..

dont fool yourself into thinking that the 6.4s were immune to the issues that the 6 litres have.. they just take a little more time now for those issues to come up.. snap-on even makes a great tool to help get at the back headbolts of a 6 litre and 6.4 litre truck in their catalogue..
_________________
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tires



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 329
Location: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing by the odd number of turbo's, I'd suspect that when one went, you only replaced one. In one segment of the vid I linked, it mentions to only replace the turbo's in pairs.

The 6.0L and 6.4L share the same platform, but the 6.4L has it's own different set of issues. I haven't heard much else other then the emissions stuff, and I'm inhabiting two greatly informative ford truck forums. Not saying your wrong, just sayin'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colinmacdon



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Location: Regina, SK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
Guessing by the odd number of turbo's, I'd suspect that when one went, you only replaced one. In one segment of the vid I linked, it mentions to only replace the turbo's in pairs.

The 6.0L and 6.4L share the same platform, but the 6.4L has it's own different set of issues. I haven't heard much else other then the emissions stuff, and I'm inhabiting two greatly informative ford truck forums. Not saying your wrong, just sayin'.


Careful with the guy in the vid you posted, he's opinions are not always well received on the forums.
_________________
'07 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP