Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New truck!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tires

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinmacdon wrote:
Tires wrote:
Guessing by the odd number of turbo's, I'd suspect that when one went, you only replaced one. In one segment of the vid I linked, it mentions to only replace the turbo's in pairs.

The 6.0L and 6.4L share the same platform, but the 6.4L has it's own different set of issues. I haven't heard much else other then the emissions stuff, and I'm inhabiting two greatly informative ford truck forums. Not saying your wrong, just sayin'.

Careful with the guy in the vid you posted, he's opinions are not always well received on the forums.

I just got linked the video in another forum by another 6.4 owner.. Seems like he knows his stuff. Can't say much beyond that!
CW Fab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
colinmacdon wrote:
Tires wrote:
Guessing by the odd number of turbo's, I'd suspect that when one went, you only replaced one. In one segment of the vid I linked, it mentions to only replace the turbo's in pairs.

The 6.0L and 6.4L share the same platform, but the 6.4L has it's own different set of issues. I haven't heard much else other then the emissions stuff, and I'm inhabiting two greatly informative ford truck forums. Not saying your wrong, just sayin'.

Careful with the guy in the vid you posted, he's opinions are not always well received on the forums.

I just got linked the video in another forum by another 6.4 owner.. Seems like he knows his stuff. Can't say much beyond that!

Interesting way to think of things colin, I suppose Einsteins peers probably thought the same of him... we all know how that turned out.

The engines aren't the problem, it's the stuff that Ford put on them in order to meet the emissions regs... it wasn't part of the original engine package. I know a guy that scrapped all of the Ford injection and emission stuff and replaced it with the original Navistar injection, it's a TOTALLY different truck now. It gets awesome mileage and has incredible power. While he was at it he ditched the springs in favor of links and air bags, it's like a mini big rig and it rides like a Cadillac.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
Tires

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil I'm drooling and jealous.

Any pictures of this truck? Sounds awesome!
CW Fab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
Twisted Evil I'm drooling and jealous.

Any pictures of this truck? Sounds awesome!

Actually it's nothing special, it's a work truck. You've probably seen it driving around the city and you wouldn't look at it twice. Well actually you might, it doesn't have a box it has a 5th wheel plate for pulling his big trailer. It's a white dually... I can't even remember if it's a regular, extended or crew cab.
Laughing

All of the beauty is in the mechanics of it, under the hood and the suspension. I should ask him more questions next time I see him... if I have time, once he starts talking he probably won't won't stop for a half hour, he's like a mad scientist. Twisted Evil

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
Tires

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate 'the beauty on the inside'. It will probably be the basis of this truck. As much as I like a lift and knobby tires, the main purpose of this truck is to haul the trailer, so she'll be staying in a prime towing stance.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
I can appreciate 'the beauty on the inside'. It will probably be the basis of this truck. As much as I like a lift and knobby tires, the main purpose of this truck is to haul the trailer, so she'll be staying in a prime towing stance.

big tires on these trucks improve mileage...i picked up 1mpg going from 35's to 37's
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
varty yo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the highway yes!
y2k-onyx-ss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlerunner wrote:
Tires wrote:

big tires on these trucks improve mileage...i picked up 1mpg going from 35's to 37's

keep in mind you had Toyo MT's before and now have BFG AT's which should have less rolling resistance.
colinmacdon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster41 wrote:

The engines aren't the problem, it's the stuff that Ford put on them in order to meet the emissions regs... it wasn't part of the original engine package. I know a guy that scrapped all of the Ford injection and emission stuff and replaced it with the original Navistar injection, it's a TOTALLY different truck now. It gets awesome mileage and has incredible power. While he was at it he ditched the springs in favor of links and air bags, it's like a mini big rig and it rides like a Cadillac.

Interesting, because I thought the original Navistar design (VT365) was for school buses and motor homes, which were significantly detuned versions of the 6.0 powerstroke--running like 235 HP compared to 325 on the powerstrokes. While I could see better gas mileage, I wouldn't expect more power. And they did have emissions (egr coolers and such) on the VT 365, do a search for international school bus EGR failure. The reason those engines are more reliable is because the run ELC silicate free coolant, Ford uses the same coolant for all their gas and diesel engines which has silicates. It's these silicates which clog the oil coolers, leading to flash boiling of the residual coolant in the EGR coolers, and that leads to blown head gaskets.
Tires

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this video too, touches on the difference of the engines as International used them and Ford did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJL9EVbVwck
Tires

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the truck in for the first oil change, needed a new air filter, So I opted to get an aftermarket S&B intake. Hasn't made much of a difference on anything but it's added a knoticeable deeper tone to the sound of the truck which I find appealing.

And tonight I just did the high-idle to upfitter switch modification, which took all of 20 minutes(in the cold) and $1.00 worth of electrical supplies. Now I have high idle on command!

Here's the info incase any of you 6.4L guys are interested.
http://thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90377
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
Took the truck in for the first oil change, needed a new air filter, So I opted to get an aftermarket S&B intake. Hasn't made much of a difference on anything but it's added a knoticeable deeper tone to the sound of the truck which I find appealing.

And tonight I just did the high-idle to upfitter switch modification, which took all of 20 minutes(in the cold) and $1.00 worth of electrical supplies. Now I have high idle on command!

Here's the info incase any of you 6.4L guys are interested.
http://thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90377

I was thinking about doing the high idle mod but really the truck goes to high idle after a few minutes anyways so I didnt worry about it.

You wont see much improvements from doing the air intake as long as you still have the emissions crap in place. If you had that out of there you would have seen a noticeable improvement from the intake and filter. Both chris and I noticed it.
Tires

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in time. I've been keeping an eye open for used kits on Kijiji to save some coin. Found one, guy had it listed for sale but I guess he chickened out on removing it off his truck. Came with the turbo back and spartan tuner. Only wanted $800, I was dissapointed he never got back to me.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires wrote:
All in time. I've been keeping an eye open for used kits on Kijiji to save some coin. Found one, guy had it listed for sale but I guess he chickened out on removing it off his truck. Came with the turbo back and spartan tuner. Only wanted $800, I was dissapointed he never got back to me.

I am sure you did your research and found that Spartan is leading the pack with HP numbers. However, you pay through your nose for everything from them. If you change your tire size you have to pay $50 a tune to have them revised for the different tires. The shifts are also quite violent and annoying (unless they have managed to fix this issue). You will run rediculous exhaust temps if you lay into the pedal at all. I drove Drews superduty for a week and I couldn't reach 60mph without throwing temp warnings in excess of 1400degrees. Also you are stuck with using only Spartans tunes and I heard customer service is less than ideal.

With the Livewires that Chris and I are running, the display is bigger and bulky and kinda ugly, the selection knob sucks too. BUT you have a huge selection of tuning companies that you can buy tunes from, you can hammer down all day with the tunes and you wont get over 1200degrees. You have the option of tire changes everytime you load a tune and it adjusts your shifts and speedo accordingly.

You can pick the livewires up for like $300-400 used anywhere.

I have been happy with mine so far. Had a few glitches but SCT was really quite easy to deal with.

I run the 485 and 450 River City Diesel Tunes. Awesome power, firm but comfortable shifts, clean exhaust and decent fuel economy. Great customer service as well and they have changed my tunes and sent me updates when I emailed them about it.

If you want 4" exhaust I am looking to sell mine. Thinking about a single stack or bumping up to 5". I am running a 4" dpf back Magnaflow exhaust and a 3.5" Powerstroker69 Delete pipe. Pm me for more details.
Tires

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear one complaint about the harder shifts, but a lot more people said it was most likely because he didn't do the "Transmission re-learn" when setting up the spartan. (It's all hear-say for me, I know very little about these tuners at this point.)

What tune did the truck you drove have? Spartan put's out a lot of tunes from modest performance increases to extreme. I'd likely only be going up the the 250 tune at the maximum. As I mentioned I'm more interested in the reliability then the power increases. After driving this truck stock, I'd hate to have to deal with hard shifts. This truck shifts beautifully as is even under heavy load.

I never heard of anyone having to pay to retune for new tires? That would really bite, although I don't plan on changing out tires often. Got a source on that?

For me, the downfall on the Spartan is the fact that unless you buy used, it's $1300, personally I think that's crazy for just a tuner. And I haven't found it any cheaper. Wether ordering it through one of the local diesel shops or through the U.S., it's $1300. Only thing cheaper about ordering right from the states is you can get entire delete packages (Spartan, turbo or cat-back exausts for about $1900/$2000). I'd like a turbo-back exuast kit but I believe that's a cab-off install, which I'm not really interested in doing myself or paying to get done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: