Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

we pulled the trigger on a new tigger..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as promised and a little more.. looks like i got a brand new torch in the box along with a new well stocked consumable kit to go with it... must be to say sorry for the delay.. Very Happy

looks like this will be a weekend for some tig action..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
varty yo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
the Dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how did the tiggy tiggy go?

No welder for us but I did bring a bottle of Argon home and told Bob that he might not see the welder for a while!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i almost touched it.. Laughing

just no time.. i am going to make a point tomorrow to play with the tig.. its my e.d.o. and will be busy in the morning with Lori's car but i wil see if i have time tomorrow day..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would really like to keep this thread open and ongoing so we can all learn from it.. as well, if any experienced tig welders want to add any input this would be much appreciated.. anything to get us new tig n00bs up to speed with this new fan-dangled technology.

i know i have a million questions and have been watching a shit ton of tig videos lately...

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do the "pros" think about this stuff.. i picked up a few pieces from a store here today for under 4 bucks a tungsten to try out. they said that a few of the mines special order this stuff exclusively.. seems that some places dont like the idea of using thoriated because of the low level radioactiveness and are now starting to get into 2% lanthanated because of it having all the same characteristics..

http://www.diamondground.com/index.html

i also scored some free 1/16 mild steel filler rod.. just a pound of it.. gotta love bugging welding stores while they are counting stock.. Wink

also today i picked up a little tacklebox tray thing from canadian tire to keep all my consumables in.

i would really like to know how the tig welders on this forum are keeping track of all their stuff and what stuff they typically use and brandnames of the stuff being used..

the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found these 6" grinders at Home depot. Better quality then the princess auto and reviews look OK.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-6-in-bench-grinder/932134#BVRRWidgetID

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
i would really like to know how the tig welders on this forum are keeping track of all their stuff and what stuff they typically use and brandnames of the stuff being used..

Diamond ground stuff is nice, although I just use what is easily available locally. Honestly it comes down more to operator skill than tung. type (for a hobbyist to semi-pro).

Brand names? I have a 6" grinding wheel dedicated to grinding tungsten, nothing ever touches that wheel except for tungsten. Everything else came with the TIG, I'd highly recommend a gas screen and large cups (#10-12) for SS work. Also if you are doing tubing a Harris dual flow meter is a good idea, so you can backpurge your work. Some guys just use a single meter and splice the output, increase the flow and run two lines, one to the TIG and the other to backpurge the work.

Super thin welding gloves are nice, on thin stuff I tend to weld with no gloves (especially when using small diameter, ie: 0.030" filler). A lot of it comes down to practice, getting your amperage right, feed rate right, travel speed and torch angle correct. TIG welding is a lot of fun when you have clean material.

Another tip, dip parts in muriatic acid diluted with water (1 part muriatic acid to 4 parts water) to strip off mill scale to leave you a nice clean steel for welding. Or just use a flapper disc in the areas you plan on welding.

Here's an example of muriatic acid stripping mill scale.

1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our machines at work are inverters and all we run for tungsten is 2% ceriated, we can weld everything with one tungsten and prep it the same. When using it with AC it will form a small ball after initial sharpening, with DC it stays pointed... well until you dip it. Laughing
As far as keeping track of stuff I pretty much only use a couple of sizes of tungsten and consumables so it's not too hard to keep track of. For filler I pretty much only keep 2 sizes of aluminum (4043) and 2 sizes of stainless. The little bit of steel GTAW I do doesn't warrant keeping much mild steel filler around.
I have some home built filler tubes like you that I built for the filler material that is meter long, I also picked up some of these: http://www.kmstools.com/storage-tube-for-tig-rods-928 but they only work when it's 36" long filler.
KMS Tools is pretty decent for sales on good quality clamps and other decent quality welding related accessories. Shipping is usually pretty reasonable cost and time wise.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Randy Pausch
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sizes are you using Clay?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tungsten typically my "go to" size is 3/32, for filler 3/32 for stainless and 1/8 for aluminum. That does the lions share of my work, if I have something thinner than 1/8" aluminum I'll use smaller filler if it's handy.
I also never cut my rods in half, once you're able to handle a full rod you'll save yourself time and filler rod. I was thrown into tig welding in a production environment... no time to piss around. If your welding a stainless railing on a big $$$ boat or something then obviously time and precision at a different level are needed.

the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tiggers home! Thanks JP for helping me unload. Now I just need to get the breaker hooked up and make an extension cord.

I am VERY excited to give this a try tomorrow. I am going to make up a bunch of mild steel test panes and I have some AL scraps that will get turned into boogers welds.

Hey JP, what was your cost per tube on making your own filler holder? Did you find everything at Home Depot?

My cheapo consumable holder. I bought one for the mig and plasma as well. $7

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit dawg, that regulator isn't cheap!

Are you able to fill the tube, tape it off, and turn off the pressure? Or does it need constant flow? I can see using a lot of gas....

Conrad_Turbo wrote:
I'd highly recommend a gas screen and large cups (#10-12) for SS work. Also if you are doing tubing a Harris dual flow meter is a good idea, so you can backpurge your work. Some guys just use a single meter and splice the output, increase the flow and run two lines, one to the TIG and the other to backpurge the work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CW Fab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
Holy shit dawg, that regulator isn't cheap!

Are you able to fill the tube, tape it off, and turn off the pressure? Or does it need constant flow? I can see using a lot of gas....

It needs a constant flow but once it's initially purged it doesn't need a pile of gas or it will actually blow the weld out from the backside. But yes purging does eat a pile of gas. Now that I have a tank of nitrogen I may experiment with a second regulator and a nitrogen purge (nitrogen costs roughly 1/3 what argon costs).

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
New tiggers home! Thanks JP for helping me unload. Hey JP, what was your cost per tube on making your own filler holder? Did you find everything at Home Depot?

No problemo.

everything was at home depot and I could have done it cheaper but i didnt really care.. i am happy with the final result.. and i got four full size tig tubes..
-12 foot piece of 1.5 abs pipe was 9.20 (x1)
-end caps were 2.89 each (xCool
-male and female adapters were 1.69 and 2.19 (x4 each)
-and i already had left over abs cement that you can borrow if you dont have any..
my bill came to 52.62.. so under 13 bucks a tube..

you could have done it cheaper though and just got "test caps" for the top ends of the tubes instead of the expensive caps.. the test caps were 96 cents a piece.. they didnt seem that strong though and i wouldnt have put them on the bottom for fear that they would punch through but they would make a good top..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: