Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

we pulled the trigger on a new tigger..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: we pulled the trigger on a new tigger.. Reply with quote

the right deal finally came up this last week and i pulled the trigger on a new lincoln 225 precision tig welder. i have only tried a couple of times and dont know what i am doing but i have lots of good people who tig that can steer my in the right direction now.. Wink

they were 1200 bucks off and were returns from a vocational school with about 3 hours on them.. they look brand new and still have all the tags and brochure crap with them and carry the full 3 year warranty..

this is a skill that i have wanted to learn for a loooong time but never had the chance to persue till now.. the main purpose for this also is so i can weld aluminum nicer and build all my own aluminum stuff like fuel cells and whatever else comes along.. but in the meantime i will learn the techniques and whatever else involved first and eventually get there..

here is a link to the machine..

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/US/EN/literature/E337.pdf

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Douglas S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIG takes a long time to get the hand of, but offers a lot over a typical MIG. It seems like you got a really good deal too.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas S. wrote:
TIG takes a long time to get the hand of, but offers a lot over a typical MIG. It seems like you got a really good deal too.

I think like any skill, it takes time to learn things properly.. it just depends on the equipment you are working with and how quickly you can catch on.. i am a pretty quick learner so i hope as long as i can develope good technique i should do pretty good.. i am super excited about this!!!

varty yo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great machine! Used one lots! Do they have anymore for sale?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varty yo wrote:
That is a great machine! Used one lots! Do they have anymore for sale?

yes they do.. here is the kijiji add.. they started off with over 10 and now down to 7 left..

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-business-industrial-Lincoln-Electric-Precision-Tig-225-Ready-Pak-Used-W0QQAdIdZ416538256

the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need to buy the torch and foot control ect?

Wish I didn't just dump a wad on the Duke, I would have one of these..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
do you need to buy the torch and foot control ect?

Wish I didn't just dump a wad on the Duke, I would have one of these..

nope.. it comes with absolutely everything to start working including a few consumables.. i talked to Eric tonight though and he gave me a good idea of what to buy as far as more consumables go.. i am going to pick up a few things after work..

the pedal and the rest of the stuff isnt in the pic on the kijiji add.. its in the storage compartment in the tig itself..

the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am super pumped about this!!!

Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret this purchase. Since I bought my TIG 7-8 odd some years ago...it is the most solid purchase I have made to date. It is the only thing that has paid for itself 10x over and over and over. I found TIG "hard" to learn because of all the control that a newbie hasn't mastered, but once you master them (or at least become very proficient) then TIG becomes much easier because you have so much control. Put it this way, I used to chew gum when I was learning because I clenched my teeth so bad...but now I find TIG welding to be super relaxing.

Pick up some tungsten, some sticks of filler (ER70S-2, 308L SS and some 4043 filler in various thicknesses) and a few cups, get a few really large ones (#10, #12). And begin practicing.
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck.. cause nothing can ever be simple.. the machine came pretty much brand new and everything is here except for one major piece to make this work.. i have no whip/torch handle.. the lifting eye is not here either..

EDIT: i found the lifting eye.. no torch though..

this being said, i have a welder in the back of my truck with no real good way to get this out.. anyone around for two minutes of moving this out of the back of my truck??

EDIT: i got the welder out of the truck once i found the lifting eye..

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to find a cheap way to store my filler rod.. i dont want to buy those plastic tubes that cost way too much for what they are. (30-40 bucks.). i went out to see if i could find some plastic abs tubing that i could cap one end and put a screw on cap on the other.. i dont seem to have any luck finding 1 inch hard abs tubing..

i also wanted to see if i could find a cheap little flat tackle box type thing to hold consumables in.. no luck in finding what i wanted as well.. hmm..

i get my torch sent out next tuesday with some "free consumables" acording to the saleman that i bought the tig from.. he actually got back to me on a Saturday when they are closed.. things may be looking up.. Wink

Douglas S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen ABS used, just not 1".
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some links for reference..

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-welding-tips.html

tungsten grinding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48I3Su5iQFw&feature=relmfu

aluminum welding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZWJt3fFJ6Hk#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWQ663L7UU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pkeeBRpoJCc

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
varty yo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have it shipped to praxair in saskatoon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: