Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evan's 2006 4Runner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Evan's 2006 4Runner Reply with quote

I bought this 2006 4Runner a couple months ago and so far, so good. It will always be a bit of a mall crawler compared to most of the trucks on here but Im not ashamed. Very Happy

The day I picked it up.

Parked behind my wife's Yaris. Were officially a Toyota household now.

My first offroad trip for a winter camping excursion. It was -30 by the time we got back to it the next morning and it still started like a champ.

After a few weeks trying to convince my buddy to clean out his heated garage we finally installed some stuff last weekend. It's FJ coils and Bilsteins front and back with the front (the strut has 4 height settings but the coil has to come off for adjustment) set to 1.75" and a 1.5" spacer in the back. FJ coils give 4th gen 4Runners between .5 and 1 lift up front and .25 to .5 in the back and a slightly higher rate.

The stupid freakin' nut that broke off on the inside of the frame when I was taking the sway bar off.

The complete bumper removed to access the little whole on the front of the frame rail to fix the stupid freakin' nut that broke off on the inside of the frame when I was taking the sway bar off.

Messing around trying to find a solution for the stupid freakin' nut that broke off on the inside of the frame when I was taking the sway bar off. Mad

I put on 1.25 Spidertrax spacers. Here it is all wrapped up before the springs settled. They were off of a brand new FJ that a dealer put a lift on before selling.

After a day of driving around.

Im not quite satisfied. The rake is less than it was stock but its still too much. I will probably try the front struts on the 2.5 setting but that will probably cause an issue with alignment. 4th Gens dont have much caster adjustment and 3 lift is approximately the limit for proper alignment with factory upper control arms. The least expensive aftermarket UCA's with caster adjustment are around $500. Im still deciding whether or not Im going to order new control arms and install them at the same time as adjusting the struts to save on alignment costs and time or if I'll raise it up and get it aligned to see if I need them for sure first.
evan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked these up on Tuesday. General Grabber AT2 275/65/18. They've been getting great reviews on 1010Tire and Tire Rack and they are much cheaper than BFG's.

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good looking truck!! i have no idea on whats involved with lifting these newer toyota trucks so thanks for the good pics so far.. i cant wait to see more!

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, looking good!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at getting a 4runner before we started looking for a tundra.

Looks Good Very Happy

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
evan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Another issue with these trucks is when a lift is installed the bands on CV boots can loosen off a bit and spray grease everywhere. An easy and cheap fix recommended by 4Runner guys in the States is marine style hose clamps with rolled edges but none of the recommended sources would ship to Canada. I couldn't find any local shops that sold them either. After a bunch of random searches I found a Canadian company that sells them. They took my money so hopefully they're sending me the hose clamps! Very Happy
www.marineoutfitters.ca
the Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with regular hose clamps on the tundras. A couple years and no issues yet. I also installed a 1 inch dif drop as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
evan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
I went with regular hose clamps on the tundras. A couple years and no issues yet. I also installed a 1 inch dif drop as well.

How much lift did you put on it? What were the angles like on you axles? According to the internet (the bit that I read anyway), the effectiveness and necessity of diff drop kits on 4th gens is questionable because with a 3" lift all you are basically doing is taking the 10 or 15 degree upward angle and reducing it to about -5 to -10 degrees. They guys that sell them (Toytec is the most active on the forums) recommend them for situations where you exceed 3" lift.
evan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to order new upper control arms and install them at the same time that I adjust the struts. The shop I ordered them from, Low Range Offroad, also sells a diff drop kit so I had them add it to the package. They said it would be in the mail by the end of the day.
the Dude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am up about 5" over stock in the front.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more updates to the truck??

I was looking at my Rubicon pics and found these.. this was a nicely outfitted runner that we drove the trail with..

the last pic was him scratching the hell out of the top corner of his roof.. everyone thinks that its the bottom of the truck that you are going to smash but i found at the Rubicon it was everything above the wheelwells that you had to be carefull with..

evan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool 4Runner for sure.

I'm still waiting for parts. The new upper control arms, cv boot clamps and diff drop are here but I'm still waiting for the sway bar relocation kit. Once that arrives I'll find a spot to do the install. The last bunch of work took a weekend in my friend's garage but his dad started a cabinetry project in there now.

In the little bit of driving I've done in the mean time I noticed a new clunk in the front end. I'm pretty sure it's the front sway bar bushings. When I took it apart the first time I noticed that it must have been off at some other point because the brackets that hold the bushings were reversed. If you weren't paying too much attention you might mistake them for square and assume the sway bar passes through them at a 90 degrees but in reality it's at a bit of an angle. Since the brackets were reversed they were squeezing the bushings tighter than intended and now that I turned them right way around I think they must be too loose. I'll replace the bushings and hopefully that cures the clunk.
evan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress this weekend. I got the sway bar relocator, new bushings and upper control arms installed and adjusted the struts to the 2.5" setting.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to have the new tires installed and alignment done.

evan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the General Grabber AT2 tires installed today. I am very happy. I forgot to specify the white lettering in or out and they guessed out. It's not what I was planning but I think it looks alright.

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks great!! thats the way this thing should have come from factory!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: