Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4runner rear axle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: 4runner rear axle Reply with quote

I am trying to find some information on gear ratios. I am considering swapping my rear axle for one with a diff lock. The problem that I am encountering is that it seems like the 4wd V6 that is not e-locked is 4.10 and is the most common. 4.30 if you are e-locked. I know that I can check my ratio by jacking up my truck and spinning a tire while counting the driveshaft rotations. My question is if i have a 4.10 ratio, what are my options? It would be hard to check the ratio at the wreckers but did some come with the 4.10 and a diff lock? Has anyone in this forum done this?
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. there were a few 4Runners out there that came with 4.10's and e-locked.. i have a spare 4.10 elocker diff with harness on my shelf right now.. i dont recall exactly what truck it came from though.. it might have been a 97 runner, some sort of fancy edition with a 5 speed without the big tire package that i parted last year.... there arent many, but they are out there in limited numbers..

you wanna buy an elocker 3rdmember with 4.10s including the harness to the elocker motor?? Very Happy it was going for sale on the forum this spring along with my 4.30 elocker third.. 500 bucks including harness and tin elocker cover protector... i am also selling the 4.30 elocker for 450.. both are in great condition with both motors confirmed working and about 215000kms on each of them..

to do the necessary mods to get them to go in your existing housing is fairly simple.. lots of writeups on it..

another option might be going with an aussie locker now that they have a v6 model.. i really like mine except for the fact that i cant turn it off though and other than the odd time that it might catch you by surprise with it unloading, for the most part its pretty predictable...

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the info from the sticker inside you door.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep in mind that you have that for sale. I was kind of hoping to get a whole rear axle assembly. Only reason is that I think it would be an easier install. Would it be much work to change just the diff?

I had looked into sites like that, rusty, but I had read on another forum that the stickers were unreliable for some reason. I dont know why they would be though.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought a whole rear axle with diff lock and a whole bunch of other parts off of a guy in town. I'm not sure if any one would be interested in the information that I found on gear ratio codes but if so let me know and I can post it up here.
'72 FJ40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the axle with Elocker I had bought

My axle removed

New axle installed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: