Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying some different grinding stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: trying some different grinding stuff Reply with quote

i thought i would put up a little potential tool tech up...
i am going to try out these fiber discs.. i would normally use my flap discs that do a great job but i find that they are getting expensive and i dont even but the really good ones.. i have the small 2 inch ones for my die grinder and they do a heck of a job so i cant wait to get into the bigger discs..

depending on where you buy your fiber discs they will range anywhere from 1 dollar to 5 bucks per disc.. the nice things is that they last for a long time and they can be used as a metal polishing disc even after all the grit on them is gone..

i was at Canadian tire and saw what they had.. you can buy the backing disc for about 10 bucks and the fiber discs are 6-9 bucks for a package of 5.. oh, if you get to using these then you will also have to buy the center nut as well.. it kind of a specail nut that wont be included with your grinder.. that part i bought at Canadian tire for just under 3 bucks.. acklands wants 18 bucks for the same thing..

I then checked out the backing disc made by norman that can be found at acklands and greggs distributing alongst other industrial places and it is 20 times the quality.. its was also 45 bucks but its not something that you would replace normally so i should have it for quite some time... the backing discs from canadian tire were made from a hard plastic and seemed like they would fly apart if you caught them in a bad place..

as far as the fiber discs themselves I bought some nice cubitron2 discs made by 3m.. its what work is using and they have great success with them.. i ended up buying some from Canadian tire and more from greggs distributing.. at greggs they ended up being just over 3 bucks each.. i will find out if it was worth the try..

also, with the different backing discs out there it looks like they all offer the same style or design where they have colling fins on the pad surface plus holes to draw in cool air from the back to keep the fiber discs cool so they dont burn up right away or melt or what ever goes wrong with them..

i will post some more pics of what kind of profile each fiberdisc leaves over the next while.. i am getting back to working on trucks again here pretty quick so i will have lots of experience with them shortly.. i just wanted to try something different as well... Wink

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
earnie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we use at work. They work good as long as you know how to use them correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: