Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new garage build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: new garage build Reply with quote

So the wifey and I are trying to move to the farm which means we need to build...SOOO that gives me a clean slate for a new garage/shop.

There are some things about my current garage that I love and hate. If you could do it all over again, what would you do? I am thinking more along the idea of size and layout. I am basically going to add a small plasma cutter and a big welder to the tools I have and lose the bender and engine/big parts storage to the farm shop.

Our must haves:

It's going to be attached. That means a 4 or possibly 5 car garage.
Separate parking and shop area. Basically a wall with a door divider
In floor heat with geo thermal
14ft min ceiling height for a lift in at least one bay.
10'-12' high overhead doors (probably stick with 10' wide... Maybe a 16' and a 10' in the parking space.)
24" concrete pony wall for wash down
in floor drains
Larger over hang on the over head door side
powered ventilation
Man door to the house and to the outside in both areas (parking and shop)

Our maybes:

attached carport on the end
wood working bay: this might start out as the parking garage
loft over parking area with lower ceilings as compared to the shop side
compressor room
drive thru on one bay (not the mickey D type)
lots of windows
hot/cold water most likely in the parking bays only
vaulted ceiling in shop area

Definitely not:

windows at low level except in the overhead doors. I like my windows but hate the loss of wall space lower down
No garden shit. It gets its own shed, by the garden.
just enough space to fit our current vehicles. It needs to fit the biggest thing I am going to drive. Think farmer limo.
No cupboards over my work bench. I am in the process of rethinking this in my current garage.
no mixing wood working and metal work.

What are your must have and big mistakes?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
benji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue I have that can't be resolved unless I get a bigger place is separating all the dirty work from the equipment. My dream would be to have a specific bay for ripping apart rusty parts cars, welding, grinding and general mess making. That room would have tin walls and be totally water proof so I could pressure wash the whole fucker down.

I hate covering my stereo, compressor, toolbox, etc with grinding dust and weld spatter. I know that the need for this mostly comes from stock car racing, especially rebuilding steel bodied stocks cars.
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current garage is 28 deep by 32 wide. I think I would like it to be the other way around. I def find it's not deep enough with the tundra for anything but parking.

I don't think I need a full 32 wide either for a shop side. It will be a tools and one project only shop but I don't want to under build. I find I have lots of floor space but run out of wall space for tools....

HDJ81 what size is your garage

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benp wrote:
The biggest issue I have that can't be resolved unless I get a bigger place is separating all the dirty work from the equipment.

I agree 100%. I am not sure if my idea of the carport would work for this... not so good in the winter, but the summer it would be OK.

Although a bit of a pain, I can always go to the farm shop for the ugly work. How did you find it at your folks place? Did you ever role stuff outside and work on it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines 26 wide and 36 long. I wish I could have went 30 wide and 36 long but the city wouldn't let me. The extra 4 feet would give me the extra room for opening up the car doors with out them hitting the shelving.

As for doors I wouldn't go bigger then 10 feet, you got to remember that your not going to have to turn into the garage on the farm like you do now! Opening big doors in the winter doesn't help with the heating bill.

Deffentaly try to keep the woodworking separate. Also if your planning on running a dust collector make a back room or plan for it to be out side.

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
the Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to know on the width. I have lots of room but have stuff along my walls. I don't think I will that much stuff along the walls in the parking garage.

dust collection and compressor room sounds better and better.

Good point on the doors with driving straight in... my wife may have had an incident with tundra and our garage doors... I am going to play it safe..

With the geo thermal, heats not free.. but it's close.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
benji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dude wrote:
benp wrote:
The biggest issue I have that can't be resolved unless I get a bigger place is separating all the dirty work from the equipment.

I agree 100%. I am not sure if my idea of the carport would work for this... not so good in the winter, but the summer it would be OK.

Although a bit of a pain, I can always go to the farm shop for the ugly work. How did you find it at your folks place? Did you ever role stuff outside and work on it?

Yep lots. I reached pretty high levels of redneckin working on vehicles outside...just not in the winter time.
That will be nice to have the farm shop for the messy work. I supposed a guy could throw up a couple welding screens in the new shop if you wanna direct grinding dust and spatter.
the Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rank,

What are your thoughts on only having the one door in your shop that is a double car garage? Is it a PITA or do you like the extra wall space?

What I noticed about your and Ryans garages is that the entry door is on the end with the benches, much better then my side door i think.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Douglas S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What area of the province is your farm in?
the Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just south of Leslie. East of Foam Lake. So I guess that's east central?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how big you make it, it will be too small.

Thoughts on Geothermal:
DONT do in floor with geo. The units usually cant generate enough heat to work efficiently with radiant in floor heat.
Feel free to give me a call about geo if you want Brad.

I like the idea of separate bays for separate intents. DEFINITELY keep wood and metal separated. I had a couple of small fires because of that when I was in stoon. I no have them in separate shops, but wish they were at least closer since there are crossover projects where you need wood and metal, and you need both shops at once...

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, Dwight's is telling us that radiant in the whole house isn't an issue. We are planning on pouring concrete on the first floor for radiant as well.

It will actually be two units, a hot water/radiant spit and a radiant...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New plan I want to throw out there...

I am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a 2 post lift and realizing that parking in that stall with the lift is going to be a PITA...

So I am thinking dedicated hoist bay with lots of room around all sides and another bay for fab.

My mad paint skilz

old idea

new idea

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwights set up a friends place with geo radiant. He ended up disconnecting it and installing a boiler. (about $1000 installed). What he found is the geo unit ran ALL the time just trying to keep the water hot for the radiant.
You can do it, it is just going to be far from efficient. Unless you run the radiant system as a parasitic system off your forced air unit (like the domestic hot water does) I think you will be disappointed.

EDIT:
mad paint skillz. Looks like a nice layout!

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before...always go bigger. I know I wish I had.

Is this a new attached garage on a new house or on an existing house?

Depending on where your building you will need to consider local building codes etc. In general if you are attaching to an existing building the addition (including garages) need to be on piles. If this is the case then piled foundation for a garage the size you want to build will be $$$$ so you may want to consider a detached or semi attached garage.

After not putting infloor heat in my garage I am kicking myself over and over again. I am not sure about the geothermal aspect but have heard of it being done before with good results. In any case regardless of how you do it make sure you put the lines in at a minimum. You can always put in an electric boiler or hot water heater down the road and suplement with forced air geothermal.

Seperate "mechanical room" for aircompressor, heating, ventillation, dust collection would be a very nice touch to keep noise down to a min.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: