Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the new truck!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: the new truck!!! Reply with quote

well, not that new.. in fact its 10 years old and has 229xxx kms on it but its new to me.. Wink

i managed to pick up a 2004 ford xlt supercrew truck last week.. it was a previous owners series of bad decisions that basically got me this truck for super cheap..
the guy that owned it before me doesnt have time for nothing and i cant pass up a great deal.. the nice thing about this is that i have worked on these trucks in particular lots at work so i know what exactly i am getting myself into.. its gonna need a sparkplug change and its got the old crappy plugs that break off in there so its good that i already have experience extracting these plugs and have access to all the tools needed to work on these engines...

the good.....
-goodyear tires only have 9000 kms on them.. almost new.
-brand new fender, upper bumper, factory rim, both headlight assemblies.
-new windshield
-complete rebuilt rear diff including new gearset and all new bearings throughout done by waynes driveline..
-brand new front driveshaft that was unnecesarily replaced.
-new ujoints throughout
-new or almost new tie rod ends, upper/lower balljoints...
-new factory bought gauge cluster
-new brakes and rotors all the way around
-complete drivetrain service just done
-new seatbelt latches on two of the seatbelts
-new tranny crossmember
-new cam solenoids that previous owner though would get rid of cam phaser tick..

and that all i can think of off the top of my head..

the bad...

-the truck looks a bit rough.. there are some good dingers in most of the body panels.. good thing body parts are cheap for these things..
-the fuel pump has a cracked fitting on it causing an emmisions error code.. no idea how it was caused other than perhaps a rock got up there and caught it or something.. i duno.. easy fix anyways.. i might try a little putty on the crack and see if i can get it to seal... temp fix for now..

and the big thing that finally made the last owner dump the truck was that one of the timing chain guides broke and the timing chain is slapping on the inside of the front case.. this along with the cam phasers are also making noise in the front of the engine at low rpm..

so, i already priced out everything for "worst case" senario and parts will come to about 800 bucks which isnt too bad.. if i can get away for the typical 500 bucks that people usually put into this engine for this typical problem than i will do that..

if the engine stuff work out than this will be my new daily driver/ tow rig.. its probably not the best but it beats the 4runner that cant pull 3000 without it being scarey and i like the room.. it can tow almost 9000 lbs in its current trim and has lots of power as well..
if it doesnt work out i can get rid of it for cheap and still get my money out of it but i am hoping it can work out..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad looking truck JP.
The nice thing about the dents and dings, is it doesn't hurt as much after your first dent. Laughing

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
benji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buy JP your gonna love having a full size. I test drove an f150 a couple years ago and was super impressed with the power. I think they are the best bang for your buck tow rigs out there.
92HDJ81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are planning on using this for your tow rig are you going to build a rack for the box like Brad for your stuff and the RTT? or find a cap to put on it?

M101 Trailer with lid, Bumper with tire swing out, Eezi Awn 2200 RTT on top!!
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

92HDJ81 wrote:
Since you are planning on using this for your tow rig are you going to build a rack for the box like Brad for your stuff and the RTT? or find a cap to put on it?

i am going to do both.. i do like having a cap and will find one when one comes up and we are planning on taking the truck camping as well so i will have the roof top tent on at times.. i have a neat design that i drew up that will allow the use of an inside rack, an over the top of the cap rack and still being able to have the truck cap on as well... i will sell millions!! Laughing

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: