Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BJ42 build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4xRunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: BJ42 build Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Its been a long time.......

Some of you know that I picked up a 1981 BJ42 last summer. It is 24 volt. The body is shot, and as such the plan is to order a Gozzard tub for it.

This will likely be a long, slow build process. I have a daughter now, and I don't get a lot of time for projects these days. I even considered selling all this 'Cruiser stuff and moving on, but I just can't bring myself to that. Haha.

The first thing to start with:

the wiring will need to be re-done to a large degree, and it no longer has the alt/vac pump. It is a manual glow system. I am considering converting it to 12 volt. Any thoughts? I've spent hours researching this and am still on the fence......
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got a picture of this thing?? congrats on the bj42.. i have the same year of one..

and long time no see!!! Very Happy

i asume you have called gozzard regarding price and availability?? are they made to order kinda thing?

I think wayne smith (crushers on ih8mud..) has worked with these tubs before..

why not liking the 24 volt?? can be annoying for boosting situations and such and parts are a little more money but welcome to landcruisers.. you this already though.. Wink

i think if you were to go with 12, there would be a lot that you would have to do to get everything changed over.. in my opinion, not worth it.. finding a bj60 could be the easiest for that task though.. all 12 volt and should be everything that you need.. including a 5 speed and power steering depending on how much modding you want to do.. it would also have your alternator and vacumme pump...

my bj42 has the factory manual glow option.. both on the key switch and a manual button on the dash but i think they were probably all like that now that i am remembering..

i wish i knew you were in the market for a bj42.. i would have sold you mine.. Wink at least i know it would have gone to a good home..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
4xRunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get some pics up in a bit. I had contacted Gozzard last August and got pricing, etc. Expensive, but actually cheaper than Aqualu. Called a few SGI inspection shops and none of them had any issues with passing a safety on a 'glass tub, and I do prefer the idea over aluminum anyways.

12v. Hmmm. Ya I've put lots of thought into this. And I still don't know for sure what direction to go.

It doesn't have front signal lights, so I stripped the harness down and there isn't even the wiring for them that I can see, and there is no wiring running to the back of the truck that I can see at all. So I figured I need to re-wire it anyways; adding my ground returns because of glass tub, so I can upsize wires as needed to handle the extra current of 12v. The only other major things to consider were mod the cluster, wiper and heater motor, alt (which I need anyways as mine is sans the vac pump), glow plugs, and starter. Overall in the end, having 12v, it would likely be a better long term decision.

But,

It would be much easier to just leave all these major components and as I have no reason to suspect electrical gremlins, just repair the existing harness. I've been told 12v converted 3b's don't start as well in cool weather. Also I do actually like the idea of 24v for performance of electrical components.

I could alway consider a conversion later on too, so for that reason I'm slightly leaning towards leaving it 24v.

Anyone here have any experience with a Solar 24/12v converter? besides sourcing a 24v alt/vac pump (anybody have one of these?? Very Happy), a good 12v converter/balancer should be my only big expenses.
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a 24v - 12v converter in my BJ-74. It wasn't a Solar though. I don't recall the brand, I sourced it from an industrial supply website I found. Installation was pretty simple, I just needed to install a few relays and a small 12v battery and charging module to ensure that my radio kept all its presets.

I have an Aqualu tub in my FJ and am very happy with it. I'm curious what would attract you to a fibreglass tub vs aluminum?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
4xRunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read about the solar converters is they allow you to tap a 12v source off either battery and it load balances the two ensuring proper charging and battery maintenance. Being they work this way, my understanding is they don't have an amp rating like most 24-12v units have. Anyone know this is how they work for sure?

As for the tub, I like the idea of it being one piece from the hood hinges to the tailgate. I figured it would be easier to work with, and also the dash, etc is a bang-on reproduction with the insets for cluster and glove box, etc instead of just a flat panel Aqualu offers. I also already have glass fenders that I was originally going to use on my '77. As well, I've read many examples of "restored" rigs with a Gozzard tub that require a very close up inspection to tell it isn't original. And it's a bit less money Cool
4xRunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at Aqualu; about $7900 + taxes for tub, firewall and windshield frame. Prices I got last August from Mike Gozzard (I'm sure they have gone up a bit) was $4450 complete tub/firewall and windshield frame was $850, so $5300. Shipping was $955, and if I budget the same $8k I could also get the front bib, tail light guards (the ones that protect the wiring) fender skirts, and running boards, and still come out under $8k all in, but that's also shipped Cool
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats actually not to bad at all for a complete tub.. i have seen a few pics of the gozzard tubs and the attention to detail looks really good... i think there are a few pics kicking around on the internet showing someone using the rockers as a jacking point and lifting the whole truck to show how strong they really are..

aqualu stuff has really gone up in price ever sinse they started doing the icon stuff... i came very close to buying an 18 inch stretched tub for my bj42 but then found better places for the money..

the grounds wouldnt be too bad to deal with.. most of the time it will be running one wire back to a common junction or something..

i didnt realize that you needed an entire body.. not just the tub.. is your cowl that bad??

how does the windshield fit in the gozzard frame? with the aqualu, you have to get a new piece of glass cut because the factory one doesnt fit..

i wish they made complete bodies for the fj45.. i would be into that..

i think Brad has a solar converter.. or he did use one for a while...

i was going to ask if you still had the green 77.. i remember going to check that out with you..

the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solar converter. It works great BUT, if you aren't running your truck every day it needs to be put on relays or it will kill your batteries trying to balance them. And I am 100% sold on AGM batteries for a 24V system.

There is NO way I would go to 12V over 24V.

Your headlights are going to be 12V and if you are redoing the wiring, wire them for 24V. It will solve 99.9% of the headaches associated with 24V systems in NA.

What is it using for vaccuum now? Would you consider hydro assist on the brakes instead of vac?

Here's how I have my solar converter hooked up. I do not use it for balancing and don't think it is needed if you don't have the 12V lights (or tap anything big off of it) I'm using it to charge a third battery for camping and 12V loads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
4xRunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Solar unit Brad. If I'm understanding the principle then, you just take your 12v accessories of which ever battery you choose and the Solar balances things back? What about heavy 12v loads like a winch?

The original alternator with the pump are gone and there is a Delco alt in its place. Brakes are manual at this point. Still has the tank on the frame, assuming it's salvageable. Never even considered hydro assist. I guess I figured staying vacuum was just easier.

I've read lots about the 12v headlights somehow being tapped off between the 2 batteries, and lots of threads on other forums with guys looking to ditch this configuration, so yes, that was on my radar.

The cowl does have rust holes in it and honestly I'm not really into doing any rust repairs, so the complete unit seems the way to go for me. All 4 doors have almost no rust at all, intact felts, unreal IMO! 2 are dented but that's easy to deal with. So by getting a complete 1 piece body, I shouldn't have any cruddy grinding/repair/replace rust work Smile

As far as I know the factory glass fits the new frame.

Still have the '77. Going to be swapping some parts around, and then selling it, hopefully by mid summer......
the Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, that's the principle. Up to about 80% of the rated solar converter, after that you run into problems. It's really only made to run a radio, trailer lights, 12V power outlet etc. The nice thing is most chargers/laptops/gps etc run off of 24V. Just check the cord or contact the manufacture.

It won't handle a 12V winch and I wouldn't recommend using it that way. Hook your 12V up to 24V and if it burns out, convert it to a 24V. There are lots of 24V motors available for any winch you want.

complete body is the only way to go with a gozzard tub.

If you can find a 24V alt with a working vacuum then it's an easy fix, but I am going to bet your booster will be shot if it hasn't been used. If you can't find one or have to pay some of the crazy prices then you might want to go to hydro.

I will have a look and see what I have. It's one of the three things 24V guys don't get rid of. Alternators, starters and brake boosters. Everything else is relatively easily found. Those three are getting harder and harder to find.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
4xRunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly didn't think I could run a winch off one battery; just trying to understand the capability of the solar. One of the guys on Ih8mud ran his 8274 on 12v and says it hasn't burnt out and has unreal power. I have spoken to Darryl (I think that's his name) at Phoenix Starter on 20th and it didn't sound too bad to get a warn motor built to 24v.

Last summer when I checked at a few wreckers I did come across a alt/vac pump from a bj62 for around $175. Let me know what you have Brad that you might be willin to part with.....

I really appreciate all the help here boys! I'm a little rusty on all this Toyota stuff; haven't turned a wrench on anything in almost 5 years!!! I'm rather excited to get back into things!!!
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember:

BJ60 - 4 cyl 3B 12V (have dual bats under the hood) brake booster is long, some starters work on a 40 series, some are different orientation

HJ60 - 6 cyl 2H 24V (this is the alt and vac pump you want) brake booster is long, different starter orientation

BJ40 - 4 cyl B 24V (some of this stuff works, the electrical all transfers over)
BJ42 - 4 cyl 3B 24V (this works Wink )

FJ60 - 6 cyl 2F/2FE12V gas
FJ62 - 6 cyl 3FE 12V gas

BJ70 - 4 cyl 3B These are avail in 12V and 24V can remember what years. Starters are different orientation, dif bell housing, dif motor mounts.

None of the gasser stuff transfers over. JP can fill in the details if I got something wrong

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he will want the alternator from the hj60 but i dont think it will bolt up though.. i cant remember the specs on that if the mounting flange is the same..
there is a hj60 out at amigos that you could score for 1200 bucks.. its not worth 800 though.. there will be a lot that doesnt work though for your aplication.. .. its super miled out with a fawked clutch and huge huge engine blowby.. i wanted to buy it for the tranny but it was noisey as well.. the power steering all leaks, etc...

i actually might have a spare 24 volt alternator kicking around now that i am thinking about it.. i dont know what its worth or even if it works.. the housing needs to be fixed where one of the mounting holes is.. it must have come loose at some point and oblonged the hole.. it came from an engine that i bought from rusty runner.. i think it was from a bj42..

i wonder if he has any left over goodies that might work for you?? Rusty??

4xRunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I want to buy a parts truck. Don't have the room for one and don't really wanna deal with getting rid of what's left over. My '42 does run and drive, so I think I'm better off just finding the few parts I need.

My Christmas present from the wife was a set of mirrors and a set of front signals from SOR, so I've already started collecting parts. Smile

The alt/pump that I had found last year was apparently a 24v. Maybe it was off an HJ60 then......

As far as brackets for the alt, likely gonna have to fab something anyways as I'm sure the Delco unit on there now didn't "bolt on". Haha

One thing I will have to dig into is the relays for the glow system. Right now there are what looks like generic starter solenoids dangling by the passenger floor boards. Gonna spend some time looking over wiring diagrams etc and figure out why this was done and what I need to get it back to normal again.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm just collecting info and hopefully some parts for now; won't have much time in the near future to actually start working on it. Besides that, I think I'd rather wait until it's going back together with the new tub to start replacing oem parts

Another question, although I think I know the answer; OME springs; are they really that much better ride? The packs on this truck are completely miss-matched. Again, I don't even need to do suspension this year, however it is on the list if to-do's. FYI I'm wanting to keep it mostly stock, so just the 1.25" lift springs; HD for the front (diesel) and standard for the rear. Sound right?
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY FJ40 has OME springs and I am very happy with the way it rides. I did not drive it before however and have not driven many other 40's.

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> Hard Core Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: