Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fab table ideas!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varty yo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Fab table ideas! Reply with quote

HEy guys im wanting to build a new fab table for the garage. I know a few of you have built your own id like to see them for ideas. Not gonna be big maybe 4'x4' tops
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALY like mine, the only thing I would do different is do the bench dog holes in the metal table for clamps and the parf dogs (little stops) I would also put the vise on the short end next time but I like that I can take it off. I also cut down the garabage shoot on the side as per FJrank recommendation. It gave me more shelf space underneath.

I think Conrad did the holes in his metal top.

Metal:

Or wood:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, I wouldn't change a thing. The gusset loops under the table allow me to store PVC tubes with full length TIG filler right under the table. Also allows me to loop on misc. clamps and other things. I wanted it to be easy to access from all sides and be easily moveable. I kept all storage (other than clamps and close access TIG filler) away from the table to make it easy to position myself during welding. Thanks to Clay for the mag drill rental. Very Happy

http://mint-design.ca/fabrication/welding-table-retirement/

I cut this table top out for a customer last week.

3/8" 44w steel. 1.5" wide slots for use of a C-clamp etc...
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine.. i used Brads table dimensions as a starting point of what i wanted and then changed a few things..

the only thing i would have wanted is a bigger edge all the way around.. i find i use my C clamps lots and i only have two really easy edges to clamp things onto..

i am not a fan of having a chute in the table to cut over.. i like having a grate/chute that will hang off the side of the table to give more hard surface to work on..

i hate having all 4 caster wheels swivel.. i should have gone with my original idea of two solid mounts and two swivels.. the table is two sqirrley and i hate having to use the wheel locks all the time to keep it in place.. it may work for some people but i do a lot of assembling and rebuilding on my table as well and i find they move too much and are a bit of a hassle.. i went with two solid mount casters and two swivels on my hydraulic tube bender and love it..

i think i would have either again made a bigger lip or edge on the one side or made a bit of a kick in like slacker did with his table.. when i tig weld or mig i usually sit at my welding table and find i am hunching over quite a bit to work over the table top..

i might have made mine a bit taller as well.. what i have is good but i really enjoy working at a taller work bench.. i have been working on benches for over 18 years now and i find the taller bench tops are easier on my back..

cut lots of little tubes big enough and weld them to the side of your bench so you have a place to hang your mig gun..

wow, this sounds like i am not happy with anything about my welding bench.. Laughing really though, its a bench, it needs to be heavy.. in fact, the heavier the better.. it gives a much better surface to work on.. and try to build it with as flat as a table top as possible..

oh, i love 3/8 thick bench tops.. i would have gone thicker if i could have but what i have is really good to work on.. i have worked on a bunch of 1/4 thick table tops and although they work fine with enough support undernieth i just like working on a thicker bench top more..

here is an old pic of mine.. i have more shit welded to it now..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
varty yo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guys!!! I thimk i have a good idea what to build!.

*connrad what a chunk of that plate go for? Ive never priced out plate steel
the Dude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I've got way more over hang then JPs front and back but I am flush on the sides. I wanted someplace I could really beat on, and that 3/8 plated over 1/4 wall tube does the trick.

I think I am the one that talked JP into the 4 swivels. I love it on my bench. I roll it both ways a lot. I have made some wheel chalks for it though as the brakes suck.

I like my great as well, but I can see how some guys don't. I've replaced mine twice. I would like it about twice the size... Same with the table really. But in a smaller shop that I have to wheel it around, it's about right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
slacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and only thing I can add .. 1 of mine

for when your actually sitting at the table tiging

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a canadian tire grinder there slacker?? Smile

slacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fj-rankenstein wrote:
is that a canadian tire grinder there slacker?? Smile

not sure .. I go threw grinders like toilet paper ..
I also use them with a diamond blade for cutting our FRP .. I usually buy them in a QTY purchase

Conrad_Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varty yo wrote:
Awesome guys!!! I thimk i have a good idea what to build!.

*connrad what a chunk of that plate go for? Ive never priced out plate steel

Buying raw 3/8" 44W steel from a metal supplier it's around $9-11/sqft.

I primarily only use my table for welding, I have enough workbench space lining the walls of the garage that I do all my hammering and vice work there. I try to keep the table clean for welding and some light assembly work. I have an old shop chair that I can slide up to the table so there is no hunching (which is why it is completely open underneath the table). The gussets at the top keep the legs stiff enough. The key to good welds is to be comfortable and not strain yourself.

The only wish I had with my table is having jack legs that could drop down and lift the wheels off the ground. Sometimes it can be a bit wiggly with the four rotating wheels, even when locked. However I chuck them up too and sometimes have to shim it due to the slightly sloping floor. But they were on sale at Princess Auto and for the load capacity they were cheap. Very Happy
1982 Turbo Starlet Solo 2 car
ZukiKev

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few opinions of my own because I have been yearning for a fab table myself.

I currently have a 42" tall bench with a 3/16" steel top but its got a 6" backsplash and 6" bullnose and it is 24" deep. This is a nice bench, strong, and good for working on but not ideal for fabrication.

For my fab table, I would go around that same 40" height, maybe a little shorter?? I have a bench that is 33" tall that I NEVER work on because it is too short.

I would like to have adjustable feet and caster wheels that could be pivoted down so it rolls. The mechanism would just but a lever which over centers to lock the caster down. Or airbags like some guys use, haha.

Like mentioned, good lips around all edges for clamps. I would like to get one with holes like Conrad's as well.

Conrad, maybe you could PM me price for a piece of 3/8 marked for holes? What is the hole spacing on your bench? 6"? What is the most convenient size for a benchtop? What is the best size in terms of utilizing the material wisely (i.e., is it more economical to get a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 and cut it into thirds?)
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the full 3/8 sheet that Brad and i bought and then split is almost gone.. i am almost out and would take the left over piece depending how much you need and what Conrad would charge for the piece providing he doesnt need it.. i get super competitive pricing through Russel steel so i would base my need on his cost and markup..

Last edited by fj-rankenstein on Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ZukiKev

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics..

The 42" tall bench in the foreground with the 3/16" top. This was made at Saskatoon Metal for $180 which included taking home the 12" x 8' strip of 3/16 that was sheared off.

The blue bench in the background is 33" tall. Mostly used to set stuff on while working on the wooden bench, which sucks because the wood is so dirty.

Douglas S.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have one of my own with the exception of an old wooden bench in my garage.

In the SAE garage at the university we have a table that was made from a piece of 3/4 or 1" steel that has been milled flat. You couldn't ask for a better surface to build a frame on. The table was donated by another department in the school, no idea what the original purpose was.

Best pics I could find.

ZukiKev

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really into this. Needs to happen.

What are the dimensions of your guys' benchtops?

I have a fair amount of real estate in my shop so I don't want it to be small like 20x30" or anything like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: