Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tell me about your dana 60's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: tell me about your dana 60's Reply with quote

jake and rory specifically.. but who ever has experience please chime in..

i am doing a bit of reading and i think i might cross over to the dark side for my next project...
yeah yea yeah, get Extend-a-toy done first, blah blah blah... i will get working on it this winter...
i cant afford to buy everything at once so i figured that i would start collecting parts now or at least soon.. i think i might go ahead with the buggy thing being that i already have the donor truck and a good chunk of parts needed to make it happen including a shit ton of tube.. of course this could all change by next year but i am definitelly looking into it...

I would love to have a truck that i can bash around.. i dont mind doing stuff like the Rubicon in the cruiser but with future trips like fordyce and moab and also back to north dakota to do some of the harder trails i just cant bare the thought of wrecking my truck (even if its completely unintentional..) plus i should have a good tow rig soon and i also have a good car hauler so the thought of trailering a buggy is in my head too..

the thought was to put my spare crawl box in the bj42, tube the back half and even some of the front and go have something that i can have some real fun in.. i would love to do a set of 4d's or 42's too...

so i guess the questions i have are....

what year truck did you get your axles from?

14bolt ?? corporate?? still reading on this... dont know much..
dana 60 up front... what year donor vehicle?? chev and dodge have passenget side drop and that is what i need... ford has drivers side drop...

Kingpin or balljoint??? what do you have?? i know i am already overthining this but whatever..

and most of all, if people dont mind saying what they spent on rebuilding thier diff?? i can say this for my cruiser... i have 4500+ dollars into the front diff of my truck and 2500+ on the rear diff... this is all oem and aftermarket toyota with arb air lockers.... pretty much the best of the best...

next question may be, anyone got a dana 60 and 14 bolt kicking around that they want to maybe sell me..???? Wink

i found this on the rear diffs..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/

and on the front dana 60's...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

i cant tell you what changes happened when and give you specs like a mutha fucka when it comes to toyota diffs and 3rd members but i am a total newb on this full size stuff..

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or not Laughing Rolling Eyes

double-d

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think chev used the d60 up to 91 in the 1 tons. Dodge uses the good ones up to 1993. 1994 and new dodge uses the unit hub so your axles are always turning. Ford is drivers side drop and kingpin to 91 I beleive. 78-79 Ford is considered the best. 92 and newer Ford use balljoints.
Chevy and dodge ones are cheaper and easier to find. I have a dodge one and a Ford one.
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My axles came out of a 78k30 chevy 1 ton. D60 front kingpin and 14 bolt rear. I could probably dig around and maybe find how much I actually have into my diffs. I would say somewhere in the $3000 range. They are super heavy but beef. I would stick with kingpin axles if you can...simpler and. O ballpoints to worry about.

14 bolt is the limiter when it comes to gearing. Can't go beyond the 5.38 gears and the ones I got were an experimental run and I am not sure they even make them anymore. If you can get a rear d60 you can go crazy steep which gives you a few more options. I think rear d60's are easily found in 1 ton vans and it sounds like f250's.

I run a mini spool in my 14 bolt so I don't have to worry about guessing if it is locked or not. For street ability I kinda wished I had gone full Detroit. My front is running a full Detroit auto locker. Love it and wouldn't change it for the world. Seamless quiet locking. I've never so much as heard even a click out of it.

The downfall I feel is they weight a lot and have a lot of rotating mass. Even with the 5.38's they have robbed a lot of power from my 3.0 and I am looking at a supercharged 3.4 now. I however wouldn't travel the width, strength or weight when I comes to stability.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
littlerunner
Financial contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw you want add. In regards to my experience....you will be changing everything from end to end in the front d60 with the exception of the axle shafts. So when looking for axles just make sure you have all the parts there and it's straight and be careful that the housing isn't cracked like mine was...didn't find out till 6 years later after I spent a fortune on parts.

While 4.10 sound steep go as steep as you can with your gears because you need to make up for the extra weight.
39.5 TSL's on USA 6x6 Hummer Beadlocks
2008 F350 Superduty. 6" Franken Lift. 37's
RIP 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
2006 Summit 800 Adrenaline
TROY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not to sure why everyone is so hot and horny for 14 bolts... a dana 70 is just as good if not better than. dont waste time on a dana 60 rear. one could also run a dana 80 rear as well, they are in 94 to 02 dodges. dualies will run wheel space or different front hubs and i think a slightly narrower rear axle. ford most commonly run sterling rear ends and they come in the 10.5 and 10.25 inch flavor. i never looked much into them but they are an option as well

king pin dana 60 is better than a ball joint 60 only because it is easier to put high steer arms on. stock king pin inner Cs are weak in my experience and they collapse. so i have had to put reid racing inner Cs. i have also bent my dana 60 front housing, has sense been trussed.

you can get outer axle seals for a 60 front that will keep the mud and water out of your tubes.

i run a dodge kingpin dana 60 single wheel front and a dana 70 single wheel. they came from like a 92 dodge 3/4 ton diesel.

The next time you go to a farmer's door asking permission to cross his land, all that he is going to remember is that idiot in the JEEP

BTC95 wrote:

And this has been another Useless post brought to you by Troy.
rustythe4x4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real advantage a 14 bolt has is a 3 bearing pinion. Other than that, the Dana 70 etc is likely as strong or stronger. BUT.. the 14 bolt is cheap, and so are parts.

Better than a plugged nozzle, working it out can be a pain in the ass
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... so everyones challenge is now to help me find a front chev dana 60 and matching rear 14bolt... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: