Toontoys Forums Forum Index Toontoys Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FJ40 Brake Master Cylinder upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: FJ40 Brake Master Cylinder upgrade Reply with quote

My brake master on my 78 FJ40 is leaking at the booster. Do I just replace with a stock one or is there an easy upgrade? I have found a couple threads where guys talk about putting the master from a mini truck or 80 series in as an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

It is in good shape but as i said...it doesn't work.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. did this upgrade to my 45 and to Rusty runners truck when the last owner had it.. but i also went a few steps further and it is completely worth the extra few bucks.. .. super easy peasy..

I believe the big fad for quite a while and probably still is was to use the 80 series non abs master... I have heard too many inconsistent things about the 80 series masters....

what i have found that really works is using the master from a 89-92 4runner... 93,94 and 95 start using some different looking master cylinders and the ones that will for sure work are in that 1990-92 range.. I have one from a 1992 4runner in my 45 and it kicks ass... I am also using the 60 series booster as well but the stock fj40 booster that you have is more than fine..
you cant just use the master though or else your brakes dont work right.. also use the calipers from the same truck... you will need to do some slight trimming on the backing plates of the front brakes to get the 4runner calipers to fit but otherwise they are a direct bolt on.. your truck will already have vented rotors so you dont need to change those..

the braking using the 4runner master cylinder and calipers is completely awesome.. i bought a proportioning valve when i did this upgrade because i wasn't sure if the back brakes would be affected with the new upgrade but it wasnt.. make sure you adjust your rear drums after doing the upgrade and you should have no problem locking up the tires on your truck..

there is some more pics and stuff at the bottom of this page from project sarge..
http://www.toontoysforums.ca/viewtopic.php?t=5697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

my yard looks like a toyota dealership circa 1980
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info JP. I think I will order up some 4runner brake parts asap.

Rusty Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FJ40 brakes really well with that setup.
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered up everything new from Rock Auto. Looking forward to not having to plan my stops a block ahead of time.

varty yo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!! Id like to see how this works out man! Post pics please!
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got most of this upgrade done today and when bleeding the brake system I realized that one of the rebuilt callipers that I got from Rock auto is leaking internally somewhere. Hopefully they can get me a new one asap as the cruiser is now just sitting on jack stands in the garage.

varty yo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah geez!!! Should have let me know you were wrenching i would have cruised over!
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very impressed with Rock Auto. I filled out a return form on their site and they have already refunded me for the calipers and do not want the defective one sent back. This is a bonsus as the calipers I had ordered came as a set with pads. So I received a full refund on both calipers and shipping and only need to buy one. I have now ordered a replacment locally for the leaking one which should be here tomorrow. Hopefully the cruiser is back on the road by tomorrow evening and I can report on some improved braking.

JP, can you elaborate on the adjustment process for the rear drums? How does one tell if they are ajusted properly?

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drum brakes on the rear have an access hole on the bottom of the backing plate.. pull the rubber plug out if it isnt already missing and either get a drum brake adjusting spoon or find a suitable screwdriver to do the job.. basically just stick your adjusting tool in the hole and there will be a big star wheel that you will need to turn.. if it turns and you hear a clicking sound than you are indeed tightening (or expanding) your brake shoes..

before you do anything though get the back end of the truck up in the air so that rear wheels are off the ground and spin freely.. adjust your brakes while spinning the wheel and eventually you will start to feel a drag and hear the shoes contact the drums.. personally, i go till the brakes are tight and you cant turn the wheel anymore.. this centers all the brake show components.. from here then i back the brakes off by turning the big starwheel inside the backing plate a couple notches at a time the opposite way as you were from tightening till the wheels turn freely.. if you hear a slight brake drag that will be fine as well.... everything will find its happy spot in the brake assembly once you put a few miles on them and use them..

a little tip about releasing the brakes.. you will need an additional screwdriver to also stick through the hole in the backing plate to help release the brakes.. there is a lock tab that is spring actuated that rides against the teeth on the star wheel adjusted that keeps it from backing off.. you will need to use one screwdriver to hold this spring loaded tab away and off of the star wheel while the other screwdriver is turning the star wheel the opposite way to release the brakes..
If for some reason you can turn the star wheel either direction and not have it lock in one direction than that means that the brakes should come apart and see why the locking tab isnt holding against the starwheel..

varty yo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hated adjusting my brake cylinders on my 67. Did all 4 and vowed to never again lol.
fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varty yo wrote:
i hated adjusting my brake cylinders on my 67. Did all 4 and vowed to never again lol.

a properly set up and working drum brake will stop a vehicle better than newer disc brakes but there are so many more moving parts and points of wear that unless a person keeps on top of them they will never perform like they did when they were first adjusted..

that being said, 4 wheel drums suck and thats motivation enough to find a newer 75 and up disc brake front diff..

varty yo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly^^^^
BTC95
wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got this upgrade done.

I have not had a chance to check out the adjustment of my rear drums yet, but it already brakes 100x better than it did before. I have a lot more confidence now in the brakes if an emergency braking situation were to come up.

fj-rankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC95 wrote:
Finally got this upgrade done.

I have not had a chance to check out the adjustment of my rear drums yet, but it already brakes 100x better than it did before. I have a lot more confidence now in the brakes if an emergency braking situation were to come up.

thats awesome.. I will guarantee that if your rear brakes do need adjustment and then you adjust them, your overall braking will be even better.. this whole brake upgrade should be the first thing anyone does who owns an early landcruiser.. its cheap, easy and the results are fantastic.. and for the most part, its a bolt on..

did you end up having to trim your backing plates to get the newer calipers on??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toontoys Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: